• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 15,000 posts for an NCAA Tournament appearance

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whiskey-shot.jpg

Defensive driving makes me wanna drink

whiskey-shot.jpg

There's two shots ta get ya started.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22 hrs 18 mins till kickoff

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first new year in 3 years that I didn't get laid. :pout:

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Nebraska Fan Faces the New Reality - NYTimes.com

I was walking through the office when a colleague stopped me. “Did I hear you say something about Nebraska football?” he asked, innocently, cheerfully, not realizing the twisted synapses that were about to fire in my brain. I frowned and shook my head over the idea of writing about the team. “My comments would be too blue,” I assured him glibly.

Then I reconsidered.

I had not been saying anything about Nebraska football, but if I had been it would be this: Why are sportswriters so impressed that Coach Bo Pelini has assured himself of a fourth consecutive nine-win season?

You do not have to be a mathematician to realize that you could just as easily, and more revealingly, say that Pelini has assured himself a fourth consecutive season of at least three losses. The only other coach to do that at Nebraska since 1960 is Bill Callahan — who is the coach Pelini was hired to make us Nebraska fans forget.

After a moment’s reflection, though, it occurred to me that losing only three games a season probably sounds pretty good to a lot of people. I confess that, in my youth, it seemed that the numbers 9 and 3 were permanently attached to the word Nebraska. But then Tom Osborne got a maniacal second wind, jammed the Nebraska gear shift into fifth and left it there.

National championships were won, statistical standards were established and monickers like “greatest college team ever” were carved into football bedrock.

Somewhere in that time — probably 1997, when Nebraska slipped past Missouri on an improbably tipped, last-second touchdown pass and I won a triumphant bet for a bottle of pop with a glum Tiger I knew in Rockford, Ill. — I might have lost my football mind. Between my ears, games were supposed to follow a specific, one-sided script.

Nebraska would not simply play opponents, it would crush them.The Huskers would not merely have a game plan, they would unleash an overpowering, relentless offense and a surly defense. The scoreboard was more like a rain gauge, recording an inexorable increase in one monotonous direction.

Like any empire, however, Nebraska began to rot from the inside. In the beginning, the ruthless victories showed only minor imperfections; then they stopped appearing.

There remains a shell of empire today, in fact, like sun-baked ruins overgrown with grass, e.g. the mad king (a purple-faced Pelini raging on the sideline), the fallen hero (Ndamukong Suh stomping opponents in the N.F.L. as penalty flags rain down around him).

Some in Nebraska believe that Pelini is slowly reassembling the machinery of victory. But I am starting to believe that it is my football mind that is being restored.

The flaws in the facade are obvious. The Huskers were not competitive in their loss to Wisconsin, and they were too easily unnerved in a similar loss to Michigan. The offense relied too heavily on two smallish men (Rex Burkhead, 5-11 and 210; and Taylor Martinez, 6-1 and 200), who combined for an astounding 433 of 565 running plays and limped through half the season. And the defense was too often a stuttering, confused step behind.

But there also was the stirring, if confounding, comeback against Ohio State; the smashmouth putdown of the division champion Michigan State; and the dull, if dominating, victory against newly minted rival Iowa.

There is a bowl game yet to be played, and next season (home opener against Southern Miss on Sept. 1), really, is right around the corner.

I used to joke with friends that Nebraska football is dead. But now I can see that this — a 9-3 season with both bruising defeats and breezy victories — is what life is like.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What say you

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers fer champz..... right?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Well, I mean the fact is, we want to win the National Championship every single season. How many times have we actually done that? Not as many as we'd like......but we still brag about the fact that we have 5.

Fact is, those 5 weren't spread out over time........they came in spurts. We were decent for a long time, then we were really good for a short period of time...........then we were decent for a long period of time, and then we were really good again for a short period of time. Now we're back on the cusp of being a decent team again.......and like any other great program in the country, we will return to being really good again, and it will only be for a short period of time. Then, we'll return to being decent again, and people will start to complain.

Ultimately, the fact is, we like to think Nebraska is the best program in the world and should always stand out above others.......but it's only us Nebraska fans that actually see us that way. The rest of the country isn't intimidated by the fact that we won back-to-back titles in the 90's. We kinda tend to cling on to those days as if they are still now.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Well, I mean the fact is, we want to win the National Championship every single season. How many times have we actually done that? Not as many as we'd like......but we still brag about the fact that we have 5.

Fact is, those 5 weren't spread out over time........they came in spurts. We were decent for a long time, then we were really good for a short period of time...........then we were decent for a long period of time, and then we were really good again for a short period of time. Now we're back on the cusp of being a decent team again.......and like any other great program in the country, we will return to being really good again, and it will only be for a short period of time. Then, we'll return to being decent again, and people will start to complain.

Ultimately, the fact is, we like to think Nebraska is the best program in the world and should always stand out above others.......but it's only us Nebraska fans that actually see us that way. The rest of the country isn't intimidated by the fact that we won back-to-back titles in the 90's. We kinda tend to cling on to those days as if they are still now.

Something can only happen so many times before it's no longer an anomaly and becomes the status quo.

9 and 10 win seasons, regularly being blown out by seemingly equal competition, and no conference title to speak of. That is becoming Nebraska's rap.

Last edited by a moderator: