• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johsnon tweeted earlier that he is "hoping the other 29 owners will do the right thing" in forcing Sterling to sell the company and his group is interested in buying the Clippers - this is rolling down hill and getting bigger by the minute

Magic is just fine and dandy with JayZ belonging to a religion that preaches hate against whites though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not saying any of that .. but what I am saying is that it isnt against the law in this country to be a bigot as a matter of fact its his right to be that way if he so chooses ..

Captain Obvious strikes again.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by MISKO
im not saying any of that .. but what I am saying is that it isnt against the law in this country to be a bigot as a matter of fact its his right to be that way if he so chooses ..
Captain Obvious strikes again.

The law isn't convicting Sterling of a crime and the law is not charging Sterling with a crime either. Sterling has broken no laws whatsover - I agree with this. The NBA, however is saying that Sterling cannot be a racist and own an NBA team because the two are NOT compatible to their mutul interests and in the light of Sterling's opinion - he is OUT.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope - not in the major league sports - otherwise Silver wouldn't be going for Sterling's head

Yes, in major league sports. They have contracts in place ensuring his membership, only subject to be removed under certain circumstances.

There are very few scenarios where a contract can be voided without being the result of specific terms included in that contract, and none apply here.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,780.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team must be sold to a black person and 50 bulls sacrificed to placate the NAACP.

If there was any "placating" needed...it was already given earlier today to the clippers' players, the owners and players of all the other teams in the league, as well as to the sponsors/advertisers of the clippers, by Commissioner Silver.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in major league sports. They have contracts in place ensuring his membership, only subject to be removed under certain circumstances.

There are very few scenarios where a contract can be voided without being the result of specific terms included in that contract, and none apply here.

And they have those certain circumstances. Then you for finally admitting that they can remove him

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody can mess with The Fuhrer Sterling.

10270665_281479758696816_1880973209760724146_n.jpg

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't commit a crime, but he did engage in conduct detrimental to the league. That's enough to have his banned for life and at least attempt to have the governors association to go after his ownership.

Honestly DS would be best served just dumping the team right now. He already lost sponsors and would face losing his head coach and probably some of the players if he was stubborn and tried to hold out. If he does try to hold on he will devalue that team to a point where it likely wouldn't survive in the LA market anymore.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they have those certain circumstances. Then you for finally admitting that they can remove him

No, they do not. Per their contract, for being "detrimental to the league", there must also be a contract breach on his part. That is not the case.

The other circumstances are legal ones, resulting mostly from poorly done contracts, unenforceable contracts, and things of those nature, as well as, again, breach of the contract. None of those are in play in any way whatsoever.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they're all the usual suspects for the most part. Pretty predictable for anyone who spends much time here and has been paying attention.

Because people are too dense to see the debate on the other side. Nobody defended what that pos did or said, either now or in the past. It's how the outrage from the media drove this shit out of control to where it is now. I'm not going to relive every single point made, you can read. And the guy you are agreeing with, compared Donald Sterling, saying he didn't want his woman to bring blacks to "his games," to Hitler killing millions of Jews. If you want to align with that type of thinking be my guest.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't bother reading all the responses so it may have been posted already but Deadspin put up a copy of the NBA's Constituition, which until today had previously been unpublished to the public. It's a neat read for transparency (something Silver is making a big deal about so far in his short tenure). Plus, it basically shows that yes, the NBA was justified in their punishment in Sterling and that it appears he has a close to zero shot at winning a legal battle.

That "Secret" NBA Constitution Is Now Online

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't commit a crime, but he did engage in conduct detrimental to the league. That's enough to have his banned for life and at least attempt to have the governors association to go after his ownership.

Honestly DS would be best served just dumping the team right now. He already lost sponsors and would face losing his head coach and probably some of the players if he was stubborn and tried to hold out. If he does try to hold on he will devalue that team to a point where it likely wouldn't survive in the LA market anymore.

Conduct "detrimental to the league" goes hand in hand with "failure to fulfill a contract". Without a breach of contract, which he has not committed, the terms don't exist to disband or otherwise attack his franchise.

Even if the terms did exist, do you see 3/4 of the owners supporting the precedent that they can have their team taken away for a private conversation. Some may, but even a majority isn't that likely. They need 75%.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently David Stern was a bigger bitch than I thought he was. He tiptoed around Sterling for years. Wonder why?

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do get it. I am not defending him, just sayings these rules should apply to all. Do you have an objection to that?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conduct "detrimental to the league" goes hand in hand with "failure to fulfill a contract". Without a breach of contract, which he has not committed, the terms don't exist to disband or otherwise attack his franchise.

Even if the terms did exist, do you see 3/4 of the owners supporting the precedent that they can have their team taken away for a private conversation. Some may, but even a majority isn't that likely. They need 75%.

The constitution is online......looks you're now 0-2. READ IT. You are very wrong - there is no implicit breach of contract. They have FULL RIGHT to vote him out.

Man, you really know how to stick to your guns when you are completely wrong, but hey, stick in there champ.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't bother reading all the responses so it may have been posted already but Deadspin put up a copy of the NBA's Constituition, which until today had previously been unpublished to the public. It's a neat read for transparency (something Silver is making a big deal about so far in his short tenure). Plus, it basically shows that yes, the NBA was justified in their punishment in Sterling and that it appears he has a close to zero shot at winning a legal battle.

That "Secret" NBA Constitution Is Now Online

The bi-laws of the NBA are not secret and never have been though. As a non-profit corporation, their bi-laws is a matter of record. ESPN had already commented on this provision before the NBA released anything and when you think about - while this has never happened before- they simply have to have a way of getting rid of someone that would destroy the NBA. I think Sterling is simply toast and it's a matter of time. In fact - even though it's not his style - I think he will agree to sell the team pretty quick - He's 81 and can get the credit for building the team to what it is now, he will make a sizable profit and can simply crawl back into hiding. It's a win win for everyone. No one is out to convict him of a crime. It's very simple - they want him out of an organization that promotes equality and fairness to everyone.