• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Sterling was AWARE he was being taped during the conversation that was posted on TMZ
Sports, in which the L.A. Clippers owner went on a racial rant ... so claims the woman who taped him.

A source connected with V. Stiviano tells TMZ Sports ... the full conversation lasted approximately 1 hour. We're told Stiviano insists it was clear to Sterling at the beginning of the conversation he was being recorded.
What's more ... our sources say Stiviano routinely recorded her conversations with Sterling as HIS "archivist." And what's more ... she would regularly play the tapes back to him because he would often forget what he had said.

Our sources say sometime after the tape was recorded on April 9 ... Stiviano and Sterling got in an argument because he wanted her to sign a confidentiality agreement ... which she would not. We're told he then denied ever making the racist statements on the tape, so she played the entire tape for back him ... before it was ever posted on TMZ Sports.

Read more: Donald Sterling KNEW He Was Being Recorded -- Ex GF Tells Friends | TMZ.com

Unless it is on the tape that he acknowledges he is being recorded, or he signed a waiver knowing that he was being recorded, her saying that he knew about it wont hold much weight in court.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this has been said but Sterling WILL NOT sell the team. If he doesn't and the owners force him to sell things can get very ugly.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What nonsense. The president is black. That statement is pure foolishness.

Dude, you've already proven you are a lost cause. ONE person being somewhat of a success does not prove blacks in America have equal opportunity, and never has.

Not when blacks get TRIPLE the jail time for the exact same offenses as whites
Not when predominantly black schools get less funding and worse resources than whites
Not when housing discrimination is rampant and blacks are victimized in the sub-prime mortgage crisis

But YES!!!, the president is black, so all that other stuff means nothing! Hell the fact he IS president has awakened a whole new level of racism in this country because of it.

Really, you are a special type of stupid if you think blacks in this country are on equal footing with damn near anyone.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she can't prove that her word means nothing.

She doesn't have - He has to prove otherwise. It's called implied consent - and I guarantee you that if they have over 100 hours of recordings as they now claim - that somewhere he gave his consent. A hundred hours of records and him asking her to play them back on a regular basis would be enough for implied consent. Now in my case when certain banks called, and told me that they were recording the conversation, I told them flat out they did not have my permission, but they ignored me and kept talking so I hung up. So if he says don't record me, and she continues -it's up to him to quit talking - if she refused to quit recording with his knowledge - then that's implied consent - so go ahead and continue defending a racist

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really excellent news

hopefully, the mere threat by owners to eliminate the franchise will be enough to make the piece of shit sell

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it is on the tape that he acknowledges he is being recorded, or he signed a waiver knowing that he was being recorded, her saying that he knew about it wont hold much weight in court.

Over a hundred hours of recordings with him asking her to play them back so he could listen to what he said - that's enough consent to make it legal. You racist defenders don't have a leg to stand on - sorry

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this has been said but Sterling WILL NOT sell the team. If he doesn't and the owners force him to sell things can get very ugly.

the owners can vote to eliminate the franchise

pretty sure he'll sell before that happens

i'm betting that's their strategy

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Sterling was AWARE he was being taped during the conversation that was posted on TMZ
Sports, in which the L.A. Clippers owner went on a racial rant ... so claims the woman who taped him.

A source connected with V. Stiviano tells TMZ Sports ... the full conversation lasted approximately 1 hour. We're told Stiviano insists it was clear to Sterling at the beginning of the conversation he was being recorded.
What's more ... our sources say Stiviano routinely recorded her conversations with Sterling as HIS "archivist." And what's more ... she would regularly play the tapes back to him because he would often forget what he had said.

Our sources say sometime after the tape was recorded on April 9 ... Stiviano and Sterling got in an argument because he wanted her to sign a confidentiality agreement ... which she would not. We're told he then denied ever making the racist statements on the tape, so she played the entire tape for back him ... before it was ever posted on TMZ Sports.

Read more: Donald Sterling KNEW He Was Being Recorded -- Ex GF Tells Friends | TMZ.com

She was his "archivist"?? TRANSLATION: I was coached by my lawyer before I released the recording.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was his "archivist"?? TRANSLATION: I was coached by my lawyer before I released the recording.

Hey I am just glad she brought him down -I don't give a damn if it was illegal, but so far everything I have heard -it was legally done. What I can't believe is that he allowed her to put that crap on record and keep it. That reminds me of Richard Nixon recording his crimes, and then blaming Lyndon Johnson for telling him to record everything:laugh3:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a piece of shit to release the story right now.

Why not wait til after the playoffs. Glory hound BS.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she can't prove that her word means nothing.

your point is 100% moot because this will never go to court

he can file suit with a court, of course, but any judge will dismiss it and send it to arbitration per the guidelines of the NBA constitution, and the constitution has no antecedents regarding involuntary tape recording.

of course, he'd be an idiot to try to take this to court. even if a judge allowed it, it would open him to deposition, and he wants no part of that. the scope of the inquiry would allow a lot of generosity for the questions he could be compelled to answer.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he can file suit with a court, of course, but any judge will dismiss it and send it to arbitration per the guidelines of the NBA constitution, and the constitution has no antecedents regarding involuntary tape recording.

of course, he'd be an idiot to try to take this to court. even if a judge allowed it, it would open him to deposition, and he wants no part of that. the scope of the inquiry would allow a lot of generosity for the questions he could be compelled to answer.

And considing that she has over 100 hours of his ranting - I think he would be smart to quietly crawl away while he can:lol:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the owners can vote to eliminate the franchise

pretty sure he'll sell before that happens

i'm betting that's their strategy

There must be a breach of contract for the owners to be able to vote to eliminate the contract. There is not.

But even if there were, the owners absolutely will not set the precedent that they can have their team disbanded for a private conversation. There is way too little to gain by doing so and way too much to lose.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:suds:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There must be a breach of contract for the owners to be able to vote to eliminate the contract. There is not.

But even if there were, the owners absolutely will not set the precedent that they can have their team disbanded for a private conversation. There is way too little to gain by doing so and way too much to lose.

Keep saying that - you might believe yourself eventually

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're discussing the legality of the recording, which she can get both arrested and sued in civil court for.

If the arbitration results in him being booted, he absolutely will find one of several ways for the arbitration clause to be voided and his case to go to actual court. Contractually there is no ability to disband his team without a breach of contract.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep saying that - you might believe yourself eventually

It is fact. Your own source you posted specifically stated that there must be a breach of contract for it to be possible to boot him.

If you're disputing that the owners will set the precedent that they can have their property taken away from them based on their behavior entirely in private, you don't understand people very well.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're discussing the legality of the recording, which she can get both arrested and sued in civil court for.

If the arbitration results in him being booted, he absolutely will find one of several ways for the arbitration clause to be voided and his case to go to actual court. Contractually there is no ability to disband his team without a breach of contract.

No because it has been established that she was directed to record everything so he could replay the recordings to see what he said. She was his archivist and somehow those recordings became public - there is no admission of guilt and no one can prove how TMZ got them and who that secret source is and there is no way TMZ can be forced to give up their source either.

Appearantly you don't understand arbitration - its legally binding - both sides agreed to it in their original contracts - No court will hear it

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it would not be difficult to argue breach of contract, actually. there's an ethical conduct clause that is quite broad.

i agree that they probably wouldn't go through with it, but the threat alone might be enough. if the threat does happen, it will be closed-door.

political posturing 101. not rocket science here.