• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't taking his property though - that's where you fail to understand how business works in a major league sports. They are exempt from the laws that govern how the company you work for is forced to follow. Each team is a franchise of the NBA. McDonalds does the same thing - every owner of a Mcdonalds restaurant is a by law allowed to do business under their McDonalds name whiich can be removed from them if they don't follow their rules. I guarantee you as someone who has audited more than half of the McDonalds owners in Southern Ca, that those owners are screwed if they lose the right to use the McDonald's name.

No difference here - He would be wise to sell the team and move on. Personally I hope he does fight them in court - I would love to see him lose everything he's got because that is what would happen

I can't believe people would actually want to see this slum lord racist POS win at anything.... :L just turrble.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because it makes perfect sense as a black man to play for an owner who clearly hates black ppl. By saying he doesn't want black ppl at the game is basically saying he doesn't want any friends or family of his players to attend the game.

Well, you cant just go around being seen with them broadcasting it and such.-Donald Sterling :whistle:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make a rich enemy, and he will come back at you... Doesn't matter what he gets from it... And it is not like he has to do anything, he will just pay his lawyers to make hell for the NBA!!

What I'm saying is that he can't win.

It will take years if not a decade to litigate this. The NBA is CLEARLY ready for this. It's doubtful Sterling will do anything but waste money in court, and die before any of this is resolved.

So the question is, WHAT is the upside for him? Rich people look at things in terms of HOW they can profit.....there's no profit here.

All he owns is the franchise, and the uniforms......he owns NO buildings.....he owns NOTHING with an NBA logo on it. They can terminate his franchise, thats not an IDLE threat.

He's allowed to own a basketball team......doesn't mean it has to be an NBA team. What happens next is up to him. I'm SURE lawyers will take his money.......but there's simply no upside here. It's a waste of his time and money, and will only further muddy his reputation.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clippers were a money tree. An ATM with millions of free money. You've never been to an LA sports event if you think that. Major $$$

I don't get how the Clippers are worth $500 million to $1 billion. Bet you Sterling cooked the books.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he own all the Clippers' buildings too? I never knew that :L

He leases the space in Staples center, but owns the Clippers practice facilities. The truth is that without the right to play games in the NBA - then he has nothing and that's what will happen if he doesn't sell. It's that simple

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope sterling takes them to court and wins .. they have no right to take his property .. the ban and the fine ok .. I dont see how they can keep him out of any buildings that he personally owns either .. thats bullshit .. its america people he can be anything that he wants to be it isnt against the law of this country

Im confused on this. I thought I read nba issues can only be handled via arbitration. Now Im hearing he can take it to court. If he can take it to court it is my understanding that the phone call would be inadmissable. The league wouldnt even have a defense if so. :noidea:

Still dont think the owners pass it thru, but who knows.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't taking his property though - that's where you fail to understand how business works in a major league sports. They are exempt from the laws that govern how the company you work for is forced to follow. Each team is a franchise of the NBA. McDonalds does the same thing - every owner of a Mcdonalds restaurant is a by law allowed to do business under their McDonalds name whiich can be removed from them if they don't follow their rules. I guarantee you as someone who has audited more than half of the McDonalds owners in Southern Ca, that those owners are screwed if they lose the right to use the McDonald's name.

No difference here - He would be wise to sell the team and move on. Personally I hope he does fight them in court - I would love to see him lose everything he's got because that is what would happen

Spot on. The only thing Sterling could sue the NBA for is if they force him to sell the Clippers below face value, in which he can clearly sue the NBA for anti trust issues. Has anybody thought of this idea yet: Does anybody out there want to even buy the fucking Clippers?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how the Clippers are worth $500 million to $1 billion. Bet you Sterling cooked the books.

easily. They are in LA and play games @ Staples... Easily that money.

i bet they sell for $700 mil

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will take years if not a decade to litigate this. The NBA is CLEARLY ready for this. It's doubtful Sterling will do anything but waste money in court, and die before any of this is resolved.

So the question is, WHAT is the upside for him? Rich people look at things in terms of HOW they can profit.....there's no profit here.

All he owns is the franchise, and the uniforms......he owns NO buildings.....he owns NOTHING with an NBA logo on it. They can terminate his franchise, thats not an IDLE threat.

He's allowed to own a basketball team......doesn't mean it has to be an NBA team. What happens next is up to him. I'm SURE lawyers will take his money.......but there's simply no upside here. It's a waste of his time and money, and will only further muddy his reputation.

unless he decides he just wants to be a thorn in the NBA's side for the remainder of his days...he wouldnt have to lift a finger, and the money wouldnt be an issue for him...he seems like the type of asshat who would do something like this, just for funsies

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His reputation is already muddy, not sure how they can make it worse... He is a hateful racist, not sure if they can prove anything else... But Sterling can also hurt the NBAs reputation, and make them spend millions in the process... I am sure sterling knows secrets!!! and why should he hold them back??

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im confused on this. I thought I read nba issues can only be handled via arbitration. Now Im hearing he can take it to court. If he can take it to court it is my understanding that the phone call would be inadmissable. The league wouldnt even have a defense if so. :noidea:

Still dont think the owners pass it thru, but who knows.

The evidence is not inadmissible though.

NBA commish Silver and his group of lawyers no what they are doing...

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt if he owns the stadium .. but what are they gonna do if he walks in ?

Don't know...but I bet it'd be HILARIOUS!

He leases the space in Staples center, but owns the Clippers practice facilities. The truth is that without the right to play games in the NBA - then he has nothing and that's what will happen if he doesn't sell. It's that simple

I imagine he'll sell and spend the rest of his days on Tahiti.

Spot on. The only thing Sterling could sue the NBA for is if they force him to sell the Clippers below face value, in which he can clearly sue the NBA for anti trust issues. Has anybody thought of this idea yet: Does anybody out there want to even buy the fucking Clippers?

Some rich people are already talking about it on twitter. So...sure?

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr Silver isn't taking shit, very proud he made this move. I mean a life time ban? I didn't even see that coming.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe people would actually want to see this slum lord racist POS win at anything.... :L just turrble.

Ignorance in business is more like it. I am an insurance auditor and have audited companies producing tv shows, banks, auto dealers like Maza, Yamaha and a wide variety of churches, non-profits and other businesses. What they don't understand is that the NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL have a anti-monoply exemption and the right to excercise their own rules and regulations in accordance with the cba.

It comes down to one thing - they can remove his right to play games in the NBA and instantly the entire Clippers organization would collapse.

It's very simple - its one thing to hear rumors and see documented evidence of discrimination, but it's another to act against it without evidence beyond the ability to be legally challenged. That video recording pushed the entire issue from the inability to act to their ability to act