• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is arguing that Sterling should not get punished, but this punishment is a total overreaction, and will be a great lawsuit for Mr. Sterling... Good Job NBA!!! make this situation larger than the playoffs and now pytting yourself into a situation that a rich, ruthless businessman with amazing lawyers are going to come and attack!!!

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, it is a term for a sail boat or some sech

5452.gif

:lol: clippers are among the fastest ships in the world. They're built to lie incredibly low in the water, and have immense areas of sail for the small, sleek size of each ship. Clippers would even go partially underwater at full speed (the prow anyway) which was one of the reasons so many men died sailing them. They're fascinating ships, although I'm not really interested in that time period which is why I didn't ever study them closely.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abdul-Jabaar said it nicely:

“What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism,” he wrote in an op-ed piece for Time. “I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

“He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?”

Saw him on Maddow's show last nite, good stuff.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all I know, is that lawyers are going to be excited to fight for sterling... THis is going to be a great case...

The lawyers for Sterling have no case dude. In this case the provisions in the bi-laws stated that if the actions of an owner are so egregerious that they harm the entire league - that they can remove him with 2-3rds vote and they are legally bound in arbitration by the vote of the owners. If Sterling does not refuse to sell - then they can remove his franchise and refuse to schedule any games for him in the next season. Without those game scheduled - Sterling would be completely screwed

Besides that the sponsers have jumped shipped already - he has no standing without advertisors and the players don't want to play for him. Why are you defending a racist anyway?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not allowed at ANYTHING Clippers related or NBA board meetings - no practices, games, camps, NOTHING

Also fined 2.5 million

They will also attempt to FORCE a sale of the team.....hate to say I told you so to some here, but this was clearly the path they were going to take. SMH

Yeah, Silver sure showed Sterling what's up. Force him to sell his team that's worth half a billion dollars when he bought it for $15M. :L

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope sterling takes them to court and wins .. they have no right to take his property .. the ban and the fine ok .. I dont see how they can keep him out of any buildings that he personally owns either .. thats bullshit .. its america people he can be anything that he wants to be it isnt against the law of this country

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sterling sues NBA could still have him killed. No win situation for Don Sterling.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The punishment isn't an overreaction....its fully within their powers.

He's banned, and there's NOTHING he can do about it. They can't FORCE him to sell, that's what he can take them to court for.

As far as the banning goes, that's a done deal. He's finished in the NBA. The amount of YEARS it would take to litigate this does WHAT for Sterling? He's 81! He ain't got TIME for this shit.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lawyers for Sterling have no case dude. In this case the provisions in the bi-laws stated that if the actions of an owner are so egregerious that they harm the entire league - that they can remove him with 2-3rds vote and they are legally bound in arbitration by the vote of the owners. If Sterling does not refuse to sell - then they can remove his franchise and refuse to schedule any games for him in the next season. Without those game scheduled - Sterling would be completely screwed

Besides that the sponsers have jumped shipped already - he has no standing without advertisors and the players don't want to play for him. Why are you defending a racist anyway?

Racists are people too, and to say that they should all get maximum penalties for being what they are is just foolish... I am not defending him as a human being, he is clearly a Hateful man, but that does not mean he should be treated like this!!!

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope sterling takes them to court and wins .. they have no right to take his property .. the ban and the fine ok .. I dont see how they can keep him out of any buildings that he personally owns either .. thats bullshit .. its america people he can be anything that he wants to be it isnt against the law of this country

Does he own all the Clippers' buildings too? I never knew that :L

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this post is wrong in countless ways. Do you know how the National Basketball Association works at an ownership level?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The punishment isn't an overreaction....its fully within their powers.

He's banned, and there's NOTHING he can do about it. They can't FORCE him to sell, that's what he can take them to court for.

As far as the banning goes, that's a done deal. He's finished in the NBA. The amount of YEARS it would take to litigate this does WHAT for Sterling? He's 81! He ain't got TIME for this shit.

Make a rich enemy, and he will come back at you... Doesn't matter what he gets from it... And it is not like he has to do anything, he will just pay his lawyers to make hell for the NBA!!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Don Sterling I'm taking this ban as a blessing. Clippers were more of a liability than an asset.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forcing a sell is not taking someone's property. He gets the money from the sell.An army of lawyers approved this or Silver wouldn't have done it.

The owners are bound by agreements amongst themselves they have to abide by.

Think of a homeowner who has an HOA. They own the home, but there are certain things they agreed to and a group of other owners can force them to do things with the home they own.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abdul-Jabaar said it nicely:

“What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism,” he wrote in an op-ed piece for Time. “I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

“He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?”

EXACTLY!!!!

I am the biggest Magic fan in the world but I thought I was gonna puke when he did the whole "I'm hurt" bit on TV. Come on, Magic. :L

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They aren't taking his property though - that's where you fail to understand how business works in a major league sports. They are exempt from the laws that govern how the company you work for is forced to follow. Each team is a franchise of the NBA. McDonalds does the same thing - every owner of a Mcdonalds restaurant is a by law allowed to do business under their McDonalds name whiich can be removed from them if they don't follow their rules. I guarantee you as someone who has audited more than half of the McDonalds owners in Southern Ca, that those owners are screwed if they lose the right to use the McDonald's name.

No difference here - He would be wise to sell the team and move on. Personally I hope he does fight them in court - I would love to see him lose everything he's got because that is what would happen

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Don Sterling I'm taking this ban as a blessing. Clippers were more of a liability than an asset.

The Clippers were a money tree. An ATM with millions of free money. You've never been to an LA sports event if you think that. Major $$$

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY!!!!

I am the biggest Magic fan in the world but I thought I was gonna puke when he did the whole "I'm hurt" bit on TV. Come on, Magic. :L

Magic was just trying to drive down the value of the Clippers. It was just business from what I heard. If Magic ends up buying the Clippers we'll all know something was up.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does not have to win the lawsuit, the results are irrelevant... IT will be dragged on and sterling will do all he can to make the NBA higher ups lifes miserable...