• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She sounds like that nanny from Long Island. What was that show? Worst sound I ever heard in my life was her talking.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not quite as bad. Slaves weren't given Ferraris, Bentleys, & $1.5 million apartments. Don Sterling is no doubt a racist dick head, but not as bad as what slave masters did.

Thats why its called a slave master mentality. The actions don't have to be the same just the same rationalizations for the actions. The effects may be slightly different but the dynamic is the same.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Buss's DUI doesn't compromise the image of the league like how Don Sterling's comments have. That's what "the best interest of the game" clause entails.

It doesn't matter. There was an actual criminal event there to back up the use of that clause.

Here, the only criminal event is the recording of that conversation. Having that conversation isn't grounds for a suspension, and it getting out wasn't his fault.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling broke the law???

Law has nothing to do with the "best interest of the game" clause. Glen Taylor didn't break the law when he gave Joe Smith that contract under the table, but he was also suspended & fined under the clause.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. There was an actual criminal event there to back up the use of that clause.

Here, the only criminal event is the recording of that conversation. Having that conversation isn't grounds for a suspension, and it getting out wasn't his fault.

The clause has nothing to do with criminal activity. It's simply based on the interest of the game, like it says.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not quite as bad. Slaves weren't given Ferraris, Bentleys, & $1.5 million apartments. Don Sterling is no doubt a racist dick head, but not as bad as what slave masters did.

The mentality is the same, though. She's a lesser form of life. She's to be used and discarded as he sees fit.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All he did was have a private conversation. Everything else was out of his control.

A private conversation is not grounds for a suspension.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All he did was have a private conversation. Everything else was out of his control.

A private conversation is not grounds for a suspension.

Care to bet all your vcash on it?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mentality is the same, though. She's a lesser form of life. She's to be used and discarded as he sees fit.

I get the sentiment behind it, just seems a bit strong of a comparison. The stuff slave masters did to their slaves was far far far worse than anything Don Sterling said or did. That level of dehumanization just goes far beyond Don Sterling's mentality IMO.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its like some of you have a personal stake in this.

He'll get suspended......and he had it coming. The next day, he's still going to wake up in the morning a billionaire.

I don't really see why this is a problem. The players union has already stated they are not going to let this go. The league doesn't really have a choice.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why its called a slave master mentality. The actions don't have to be the same just the same rationalizations for the actions. The effects may be slightly different but the dynamic is the same.

As someone else said. It's pretty much textbook. It's the mentality that blacks are a lower form of life. That they're to be used and to kept in their place. It's surprising that some find the notion that Sterling shares this mentality controversial or offensive.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone else said. It's pretty much textbook. It's the mentality that blacks are a lower form of life. That they're to be used and to kept in their place. It's surprising that some find the notion that Sterling shares this mentality controversial or offensive.

Thing is I don't think Don Sterling necessarily thinks Blacks are subhuman. I think he's just an a-hole psychopath that happens to have a lot of money. I don't think it matters what race someone is, Don Sterling will treat them like sh*t regardless. That's what a-hole psychopaths do.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article from Lester Munson on espn- Munson: Challenge for Donald Sterling - ESPN

Here's basically what everyone wants to know-

Q: Is it possible for Silver and the NBA to terminate Sterling's franchise ownership?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the board to reduce the termination to a fine. Terminating a franchise would obviously be a drastic remedy, but the potential of the termination procedure gives Silver and the other owners vast leverage in any discussion with Sterling about an involuntary sale of his team.

SO...in other words, it CAN be done, but the owners have to step up to get the ball rolling...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet it worked just fine for suspending Jerry Buss for his DUI.

The NBA has a code of conduct that also applies to owners, your note about Dr. Buss confirms it as well as the Malouf bros in Sacramento...if JDM is 100% right about Sterling's privacy rights being breached, he might win a court case.

I still think they will fine or suspend him and take their chances in court if he fights it....the league really has no choice...either way Sterling is fucked in terms of being the owner...my defense, I thought this was a private conversation, I didn't know I was being taped?

That might win in court, but not in public opinion...sell or bust your ass to rebuild the sponsor and fan base. Selling just seems so much easier to me.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he fought it, he'd easily win.

And yet it would be easier to take the suspension? You're full of contradictions. Anyways, I'll gladly put up all my vcash saying he gets suspended and fined. Let me know when you're as confident in your stance.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article from Lester Munson on espn- Munson: Challenge for Donald Sterling - ESPN

Here's basically what everyone wants to know-

Q: Is it possible for Silver and the NBA to terminate Sterling's franchise ownership?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the board to reduce the termination to a fine. Terminating a franchise would obviously be a drastic remedy, but the potential of the termination procedure gives Silver and the other owners vast leverage in any discussion with Sterling about an involuntary sale of his team.

SO...in other words, it CAN be done, but the owners have to step up to get the ball rolling...

No, they couldn't. Having a private conversation completely unrelated to his business is not failing to do business on a reasonable and ethical level. That's absurd.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet it would be easier to take the suspension? You're full of contradictions. Anyways, I'll gladly put up all my vcash saying he gets suspended and fined. Let me know when you're as confident in your stance.

For the reasons already stated in the thread. Dragging this out is a far bigger PR concern.