• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA has a code of conduct that also applies to owners, your note about Dr. Buss confirms it as well as the Malouf bros in Sacramento...if JDM is 100% right about Sterling's privacy rights being breached, he might win a court case.

I still think they will fine or suspend him and take their chances in court if he fights it....the league really has no choice...either way Sterling is fucked in terms of being the owner...my defense, I thought this was a private conversation, I didn't know I was being taped?

That might win in court, but not in public opinion...sell or bust your ass to rebuild the sponsor and fan base. Selling just seems so much easier to me.

He would win in a court of law but none of us know the specifics of the NBA by laws. We do however know that there's a "best interest in the game" clause which has enabled the NBA commissioner to take action against owners in aspects that the law of the land doesn't cover. I'm certain there are other by laws in place to take action when a PR nightmare such as this arises. I'm not worried about the NBA taking action against Don Sterling. I would say it's an absolute certainty at this point.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the reasons already stated in the thread. Dragging this out is a far bigger PR concern.

Since when does Don Sterling care about PR concerns?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case, he will challenge and easily win.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would win in a court of law but none of us know the specifics of the NBA by laws. We do however know that there's a "best interest in the game" clause which has enabled the NBA commissioner to take action against owners in aspects that the law of the land doesn't cover. I'm certain there are other by laws in place to take action when a PR nightmare such as this arises. I'm not worried about the NBA taking action against Don Sterling. I would say it's an absolute certainty at this point.

Indeed...they have no other choice. Even the NHL would have to action against an owner where .0005% of the players are black...you know the NBA does.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers have ONE sponsor left now: Corona

If he's smart, he'll sell ASAP. With no ad revenue, no chance at any top flight FAs, and a likely hostile fanbase, the franchise net worth WILL drop.

He's going to make millions regardless, he should just sell now while the value is still high.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed...they have no other choice. Even the NHL would have to action against an owner where .0005% of the players are black...you know the NBA does.

Hope the players stand strong & united against him. Them along with the sponsors are the only ones that could take Sterling down IMO.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They now have grounds to terminate his franchise

He's bad for business. Soon to have ZERO sponsors during the league playoffs, one of the best playoffs EVER?

Sterling is TOAST, you guys can cry about contractural obligations all you want. When you threaten the cash flow, things happen, contracts be damned.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,869.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is just getting uglier and uglier for the clippers organization

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is I don't think Don Sterling necessarily thinks Blacks are subhuman. I think he's just an a-hole psychopath that happens to have a lot of money. I don't think it matters what race someone is, Don Sterling will treat them like sh*t regardless. That's what a-hole psychopaths do.

A-hole psychopaths are pretty much what slave owners were. I'm trying to figure out how this escapes people.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-hole psychopaths are pretty much what slave owners were. I'm trying to figure out how this escapes people.

I agree but they also had complete disregard for human life. Not sure if Don Sterling fits this bill.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling will probably end up selling the team for a rock bottom price (which will still be tons more than what he bought the team for). I think that's what's best for everyone, especially Don Sterling.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but they also had complete disregard for human life. Not sure if Don Sterling fits this bill.

He fits the bill in that he believes he is above them......that everyone else is just riff raff......he may not devalue their lives to the point of ending them, but not all slave owners were that way either. It's still the same thing - thinking you are above a race of humans when the only real differentiator is that you have money and power, and they don't.

Would it have helped if we had compared him to landowners vs serfs? Same mentality, same thought process......."I'm better than them, I have money, I can do whatever I want to them"

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone else said. It's pretty much textbook. It's the mentality that blacks are a lower form of life. That they're to be used and to kept in their place. It's surprising that some find the notion that Sterling shares this mentality controversial or offensive.

Where did anyone find it offensive? Where they disagreed with your opinion? I think YOU find it offensive every single person doesnt agree with you :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He fits the bill in that he believes he is above them......that everyone else is just riff raff......he may not devalue their lives to the point of ending them, but not all slave owners were that way either. It's still the same thing - thinking you are above a race of humans when the only real differentiator is that you have money and power, and they don't.

Would it have helped if we had compared him to landowners vs serfs? Same mentality, same thought process......."I'm better than them, I have money, I can do whatever I want to them"

I agree with that but can't he just be described as a psychopath? That's typically how they see the world. I just think of slave ownership mentality as a bit harsh considering slavery still exists in the form of human trafficking and the people who operate those rings are far worse than Donald Sterling ever was.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you honestly think its only black people he thinks that way about? Lol

He seems like an equal opportunity dickhead to me.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that but can't he just be described as a psychopath? That's typically how they see the world. I just think of slave ownership mentality as a bit harsh considering slavery still exists in the form of human trafficking and the people who operate those rings are far worse than Donald Sterling ever was.

The definition fits the slave owner description better as a psychopath could merely be content with killing anyone regardless of race.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprisingly there are also black people who are equally racist as Sterling... here we have Larry Johnson calling for an "all-black league". Maybe we should also start all-black restaurants, bathrooms and buses. jeesh. respond to racism with more racism.

Knicks great calls for all-black league amid Clippers race fiasco | New York Post

I knew someone would do it. Everyone wants their voice heard on this. It was only a matter of time til someone go exposed for not being intelligent. U win grandmama