• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It boggles me that he is ok with his "girlfriend" sleeping with black folks but he doesn't want them at his games... He is cool with them railing her brains out for him to get sloppy seconds but not ok with them spending money at his events? That confuses me.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be fined and possibly suspended for a season. There isn't much else Silver can do to Sterling.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a point that is correct and I agree, but when a person steps forward and tells the entire world about a private conversation he or she has had with another individual in a position like Donald Sterling's and is able to prove that he made such statements and those statements proves that he is a racist, then bad things are going to happen. Players can refuse to re-sign with the organization and you can't force players to sign with the Clippers. Fans can refuse to pay to see the games and you can't force them to come. Advertisors can refuse to market their products in your time slots and you can't for them them to pay for advertising either.

If all of three of those items happen to the point of epic failure of the team - then the organization can simply say - "Hey we will contract your team out of existence or you can sell now" Has anyone forgotten about contraction? If they have the power to contract non-profitable teams out of existence, then they can force Sterling out.

JDM is right that the NBA probably has less clout here than the fans, and sponsors do collectively as you're noting. Unless their hands are contractually tied (what JDM is suggesting) the NBA will levy something against Sterling and he'll either comply or fight it based on some sort of privacy laws being breached.

IMO...if people (players, league execs, ex-players, fans, media sponsors) are as upset as they appear over this the NBA is not going to have to do much...Sterling won't have the team that much longer....at this point he might be best served to sell, pocket his profits and move out of the public eye.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It boggles me that he is ok with his "girlfriend" sleeping with black folks but he doesn't want them at his games... He is cool with them railing her brains out for him to get sloppy seconds but not ok with them spending money at his events? That confuses me.

To me, it sounds like he was shitfaced and making some passive aggressive digs at her, cuz shes half black. Then, she keeps directing him back on the racism track knowing its being recorded. Her side of the convo almost sounds scripted. Jmo

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chauncey just said there is no way he would have played. Ya right.....

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plantation mentality. PLENTY of slave masters did the same thing......only they were usually raping the slave girls

This is what happens when you don't value human life. He thinks he's above them.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kia just dropped the Clippers. That's now 3 major companies dropping ad revenue. He better call Magic Johnson right now

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plantation mentality. PLENTY of slave masters did the same thing......only they were usually raping the slave girls

This is what happens when you don't value human life. He thinks he's above them.

This ^^ It's just the slave master mentality 21st century style.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone already knew that he was a racist asshole. Yes, they are absolutely playing this up to something it's not. No one is a bigger fan of Magic than me, but come on, Magic. Stop pretending like you're "hurt." You live in Beverly Hills, not Watts.

No...but Sterling did remind him he's from E. Lansing though.

Hammer...I hear ya on the overblown thing, but no way to sugarcoat this. That comment should be a slap in the face to ANY black person regardless of how much clout/money they have.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM is right that the NBA probably has less clout here than the fans, and sponsors do collectively as you're noting. Unless their hands are contractually tied (what JDM is suggesting) the NBA will levy something against Sterling and he'll either comply or fight it based on some sort of privacy laws being breached.

IMO...if people (players, league execs, ex-players, fans, media sponsors) are as upset as they appear over this the NBA is not going to have to do much...Sterling won't have the team that much longer....at this point he might be best served to sell, pocket his profits and move out of the public eye.

It remains to be seen, but I think the NBA owners can make it really ugly for Sterling and I think they could force him out if they wanted to, but Frank McCourt threatened lawsuits and made it ugly for the MLB who was satified with him selling the team and leaving on his own terms. If(and this is a really big if) the fans, sponsers and players makes it really ugly for him - then the power of public opinion should force him out. It's kind of tough to hold that kind of outrage long enough though. I also think the the NBA might be able to screw with him and contract him out of existence.

If they were to simply refuse to schedule games for him next season - It could get ugly for him not that I think they will do that

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm curious about is WHO called him to tell him she was posting these pics online that got him so upset. Another owner perhaps??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :confused2:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...but Sterling did remind him he's from E. Lansing though.

Hammer...I hear ya on the overblown thing, but no way to sugarcoat this. That comment should be a slap in the face to ANY black person regardless of how much clout/money they have.

The black people are very keen on detecting prejudism or racism that a person is concealing. It's one thing half of the population to believe you are racism, be talking about and making comments, but it's another when the truth comes out from his own mouth like it did. Sterling's power trips and sex with a 23 year old bimbo - simply blew up in his face. I think the Clippers have to be sold to protect the organization, but I think JDM is right when he says they won't do that much. I don't think this NBA has the balls to force Sterling to the table. Only time will prove if their puny suspensions and sanctions work

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it sounds like he was shitfaced and making some passive aggressive digs at her, cuz shes half black. Then, she keeps directing him back on the racism track knowing its being recorded. Her side of the convo almost sounds scripted. Jmo

Sugarcoating?...even if he was goaded into it...he meant what he said...if he was shitfaced that only makes it more credible imo...truth serum!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It remains to be seen, but I think the NBA owners can make it really ugly for Sterling and I think they could force him out if they wanted to, but Frank McCourt threatened lawsuits and made it ugly for the MLB who was satified with him selling the team and leaving on his own terms. If(and this is a really big if) the fans, sponsers and players makes it really ugly for him - then the power of public opinion should force him out. It's kind of tough to hold that kind of outrage long enough though. I also think the the NBA might be able to screw with him and contract him out of existence.

If they were to simply refuse to schedule games for him next season - It could get ugly for him not that I think they will do that

They can't do that.

There is nothing the NBA can do to him for this. Nothing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sugarcoating?...even if he was goaded into it...he meant what he said...if he was shitfaced that only makes it more credible imo...truth serum!

I think those of you trying to defend Sterling or perhaps soft pedal the issues are forgetting one thing. These statements are not the first racist statements and rants by Sterling. Couldn't possibly be when you consider that Stiviano knew enough to set up and record their conversations with the intention of selling them. The woman set him up for the kill and then took his head