• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only thing the nba should punish him for is being stupid enough to say such things to a half black gold digging bimbo that was already mad at him. There should be a moron clause.

Let the market handle the rest. I will be a bit disappointed if there are any ads up in that arena and its packed the next game after, or if, the recording is verified. His lack of response is pretty damning, tho.

He could've said them to his grandmother for all I care, but saying to someone with black heritage was more stupid.

Essentially the NBA has to dole out some type of punishment to more or less have some type of repercussion, the market should handle the rest and it's been pointed out that State Farm has acted swiftly.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is allowable, and IT SHOULD BE.

They'll fine him the maximum amount and ban him from games. That's probably all they can do, but this is not about his conversation.

This is about protecting the integrity of the league. HE is damaging the brand, and you can bet your ass they have EVERY right to protect their brand and punish him as they see fit. The other owners have that power, AS THEY SHOULD.

"Damaging the brand" could be arguably met by fielding a bad team. They almost certainly have a very specific list of things that are punishable. Public statements will be on that list. Private statements will not be.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Damaging the brand" could be arguably met by fielding a bad team. They almost certainly have a very specific list of things that are punishable. Public statements will be on that list. Private statements will not be.

Statements that become public will be on that list, as this is. There is no way he can escape punishment here. The fact that it was a private conversation has no meaning here. The minute it became public, it was a problem.

Trying to hide behind the guise of it being a private convo is flat out a joke.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, conversations that become public, through no fault of his own, will not be on that list. None of the owners would agree to terms that punish a private conversation. It's absurdly unlikely.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fine or suspension for a private conversation is highly unlikely to be contractually allowable. Nor should it be.

We agree here, but that's not in play.

The other party to in his private conversation chose not to keep it private and because they have some proof the conversation occurred, Sterling is open to whatever punishment the league can muster up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, conversations that become public, through no fault of his own, will not be on that list. None of the owners would agree to terms that punish a private conversation. It's absurdly unlikely.

You are probably right about that. At the end of the day, these owners know that whatever they decide to do to Sterling, can also be done to them.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly doubt the clipper players or magic Johnson really give a shit. Would u really care what that dumbass thinks? They had to do something to appease the public. This is every media members chance to get on their high horse. Sterling will get what is coming to him.

Everyone already knew that he was a racist asshole. Yes, they are absolutely playing this up to something it's not. No one is a bigger fan of Magic than me, but come on, Magic. Stop pretending like you're "hurt." You live in Beverly Hills, not Watts.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree here, but that's not in play.

The other party to in his private conversation chose not to keep it private and because they have some proof the conversation occurred, Sterling is open to whatever punishment the league can muster up.

Yes, it is. A conversation had with the expectation of privacy is no different whether it ends up being (most likely illegally) recorded or not. The guy's a scumbag, sure, but this was a private conversation and not likely to be something punishable at all.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to get rid of Donald Sterling is to not watch the games in person or on tv, cable or otherwise. The players will still get paid until the man has no choice but to sell. When his attendance drops by even 10 or 20 percent and does not go back up and He is going to see the writing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is now unwatchable

I hate the media echo chamber

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my personal opinion .. I dont think any one of them will walk and others will sign on because they like and want the money ...

I was also talking with my 18y/o grand daughter about this last night and here is what she said

being half black and half white, I can tell you racism definitely goes both ways and across every race. It only makes headlines when its someone white being racist.

Any player walking from an existing contract would be foolish...the other part of that about signing new players...in part you're right there also, but I think you're talking about rank-n-file players that don't have many choices.

The players like CP3, and other higher profile players clearly do have other options and I think they will go other places if Sterling still owns the team. Your point is solid though...the Clippers will field a team and that team will most likely have black players on it.

On your grand daughter...not sure of the relevance here, but I get it, and believe it.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your telling me that even though my granddaughter is 1/2 and 1/2 that she hasnt felt it from both sides and black people cant possibility be prejudice.. I got news for ya her black grand parents wont have anything to do with her because she is 1/2 white and acts tooo white .. their words not mine .. so dude your full of shit and are on a witch hunt

:nod:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone already knew that he was a racist asshole. Yes, they are absolutely playing this up to something it's not. No one is a bigger fan of Magic than me, but come on, Magic. Stop pretending like you're "hurt." You live in Beverly Hills, not Watts.

THIS ^^^^^^ Sterling has been a known racist for decades. I'm pretty sure Chris Paul and Blake Griffin knew this going in as well as their agents, but none of that mattered as Sterling signed Paul to $18M a year and Griffin to $16M a year. LOL at thinking this issue is really bothering Chris Paul; from what I'm hearing, it's no secret Sterling is a racist; it's been known years!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to get rid of Donald Sterling is to not watch the games in person or on tv, cable or otherwise. The players will still get paid until the man has no choice but to sell. When his attendance drops by even 10 or 20 percent and does not go back up and He is going to see the writing.

Disagree. Sterling has NEVER cared about fan attendance. He spent decades putting a joke of a team on the court to half empty arenas night in and night out.

The ONLY way he's going to sell is if corporate sponsors back out, which is starting to happen. State Farm and Carmax are the first to jump ship. We'll see who else leaves.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a pretend black man, I am overly offended by this...

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll sell. He'll be a dumbass if he doesn't sell after all of this. Just read he bought the Clippers for $15M and they're now worth over $500M. To give ya'll another idea of how money talks, the LA NAACP chapter gave Sterling a Man of the Year award, even though they knew about him being a racist, but apparently, Sterling wrote the NAACP a nice, big fat check. These players don't give two shits about what Sterling said, they only care about getting paid, which I have no problem with. Just don't be hypocritical about it......

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS ^^^^^^ Sterling has been a known racist for decades. I'm pretty sure Chris Paul and Blake Griffin knew this going in as well as their agents, but none of that mattered as Sterling signed Paul to $18M a year and Griffin to $16M a year. LOL at thinking this issue is really bothering Chris Paul; from what I'm hearing, it's no secret Sterling is a racist; it's been known years!

I doubt players really knew. It's not like they talk to the man, all they're focused on is playing ball. We have to stop assuming these guys walk in the same circles.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt players really knew. It's not like they talk to the man, all they're focused on is playing ball. We have to stop assuming these guys walk in the same circles.

I'm sure they did know. Pretty sure their agents knew and brought it to their attention, HOWEVER, I also firmly believe there are several NBA owners who are just as racist as Sterling is, too. Too think this is something new, shows how naïve society can be. Money makes issues like this very mute.......

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally don't like to talk about my personal business but I go to a black church and as a white man I have seen racism or perhaps prejudism go both ways. I agree that racism tends to get broadcast on the news when it's a white man - more than when it's a black man - but more important it will always get blown way out when it's a rich white man who is in the position of exploiting everyone around him. That is the case here and it's going to have deeper repurcussions when it's an owner of a major league sports team that employs mostly black people. Now Hammer has a point about what Magic Johnson said. Magic has most likely never been to a Clippers game and never will, but I think Hammer missed the point of Magic's statement. That statement was to the black community and was suggesting to every black person in Los Angeles that they should stop going to Clippers games and boycott them. PROPS TO MAGIC IF THAT'S WHAT HE SUGGESTED - I AGREE - MR STERLING - SCREW YOU AND YOUR PRODUCT