• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a question for everyone. what if the NBA cant make him sell the team, what they hell are they going to do then, what options would they have??

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a question for everyone. what if the NBA cant make him sell the team, what they hell are they going to do then, what options would they have??

I don't think they can force him to sell... I'd honestly feel a little queasy about it if they could, just on priniciple.. but it's not the Marge Schott situation where the minority stockholders threatened some kind of uprising, forcing her to sell her majority share.

Indefinite suspension from attending NBA games. A fine. I wonder if in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement if they'll put wording in there that will allow for more muscle when situations like this arise. If they're gonna force the players to wear suits for the "image" of the league, then a situation like this is just as bad for said image of "professionalism".

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you morons serious? We don't even know if this is true at this point. Jesus, what a bunch of mouth breathing, douchebags. If the liberal media writes something you just instantly believe them? Did any of you guys read this part of the story?

Why don't you fellas settle down and let due process run it's course. Damn, the people of this country are becoming MSM informed zombies. :L

Getting here late on this but, good point of due process.

I really think if the comments made were not Sterling's then he would've come out much stronger in denial...bottom line here imo...his behavior, or thought process regarding blacks has been known for sometime in his inner circle, and somebody in that inner circle was out to nail him and they did.

Good for them...now the next and imo most important step here is what does the NBA do about it?

The NBA is one of the few sports leagues where a coach, player, GM, etc. black or white can be hired and or fired and it's not news noted along racial lines.

If these were indeed his comments, worst case they might come down really hard and force him to sell the team. More likely he's facing a severe fine (7 figures) and some time in the corner.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they can force him to sell... I'd honestly feel a little queasy about it if they could, just on priniciple.. but it's not the Marge Schott situation where the minority stockholders threatened some kind of uprising, forcing her to sell her majority share.

Indefinite suspension from attending NBA games. A fine. I wonder if in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement if they'll put wording in there that will allow for more muscle when situations like this arise. If they're gonna force the players to wear suits for the "image" of the league, then a situation like this is just as bad for said image of "professionalism".

I didn't know until yesterday the NBA didn't have a clause for owners to vote another one out like the NFL. Wonder why they didn't make sure of this in the past? maybe they can ban him from all games and force him out at the next Collective Bargaining Agreement putting in a clause to make this happen.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know until yesterday the NBA didn't have a clause for owners to vote another one out like the NFL. Wonder why they didn't make sure of this in the past. maybe the can ban him from all games and force him out at the next Collective Bargaining Agreement putting in a clause to make this happen.

True. One issue is the current CBA isn't set to expire until the early 2020s. I think it can be reopened in 2017 if what I read yesterday was correct. I don't know how problematic that would be and if they would do that in this instance. For all we know Sterling could pass away before then.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know until yesterday the NBA didn't have a clause for owners to vote another one out like the NFL. Wonder why they didn't make sure of this in the past? maybe they can ban him from all games and force him out at the next Collective Bargaining Agreement putting in a clause to make this happen.

They do. It only applies in cases of financial insolvency. And it only should.

But even if it were possible to do it in this case, it wouldn't get a single vote. Owners aren't setting that precedent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the NBA cannot force Sterling to sell...he may decide it's in his best interest to sell.

Unless you feel the same way he does, no one wants to be associated with a known racist. Especially when it comes to spending discretionary income...I think the public at large that care will boycott the team in some fashion, FA players will certainly turn their noses down, and even retaining key players like CP3 might prove difficult...the Lakers will again own LA, and Sterling will be back to cellar dweller and collecting the TV money.

Time heals a lot of wounds, but I'm not even sure a big fine and a public apology to Magic, MJ, etc will be enough to wipe the stink of this. Sterling might be better off cashing in.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NBA cannot force Sterling to sell...he may decide it's in his best interest to sell.

Unless you feel the same way he does, no one wants to be associated with a known racist. Especially when it comes to spending discretionary income...I think the public at large that care will boycott the team in some fashion, FA players will certainly turn their noses down, and even retaining key players like CP3 might prove difficult...the Lakers will again own LA, and Sterling will be back to cellar dweller and collecting the TV money.

Time heals a lot of wounds, but I'm not even sure a big fine and a public apology to Magic, MJ, etc will be enough to wipe the stink of this. Sterling might be better off cashing in.

I'd like to believe he'd sell too. Something tells me this guy is stubborn though.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you like to be one of the black players on that team this morning?

I think I would be pretty OK with the whole situation as long as my checks didn't bounce but that's just me.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting here late on this but, good point of due process.

I really think if the comments made were not Sterling's then he would've come out much stronger in denial...bottom line here imo...his behavior, or thought process regarding blacks has been known for sometime in his inner circle, and somebody in that inner circle was out to nail him and they did.

Good for them...now the next and imo most important step here is what does the NBA do about it?

The NBA is one of the few sports leagues where a coach, player, GM, etc. black or white can be hired and or fired and it's not news noted along racial lines.

If these were indeed his comments, worst case they might come down really hard and force him to sell the team. More likely he's facing a severe fine (7 figures) and some time in the corner.

I honestly dont think the nba should do anything. They were things said in private with an intended audience of one. Had he said these things in public then fry his ass. This is murica. If you dont wanna like black people, you dont have to. However, if youre representing a brand and promote unpopular views publicly that brand ( nba) shpuld punish you. If you do it privately and that person outs you, its up to the market to decide, imo. His comments wont hurt the nba, but will likely hurt the clippers franchise.

I think its up to the fans, players, coaches and sponsors to handle this. Thatts just my opinion, tho, and the nba will likely try a big fine to save face because Im sure most of their market doesnt share my opinion. Seeing a half empty arena next game would be something.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont think the nba should do anything. They were things said in private with an intended audience of one. Had he said these things in public then fry his ass. This is murica. If you dont wanna like black people, you dont have to. However, if youre representing a brand and promote unpopular views publicly that brand ( nba) shpuld punish you. If you do it privately and that person outs you, its up to the market to decide, imo. His comments wont hurt the nba, but will likely hurt the clippers franchise.

I think its up to the fans, players, coaches and sponsors to handle this. Thatts just my opinion, tho, and the nba will likely try a big fine to save face because Im sure most of their market doesnt share my opinion. Seeing a half empty arena next game would be something.

They're welcome to put pressure on him. I would have no problem whatsoever if the clippers team had sat on the bench and refused to actually walk out and play the game.

But the league doesn't and shouldn't have the grounds to do anything about a private discussion. Even if he said it publicly, they shouldn't have the grounds for more than maybe a fine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on that point in bold. Much like the fence sitters in America turned on Romney when they realized he didn't give a flip about them.

NBA...I agree that there is nothing legally wrong with his comments. If you or I said them nobody would care. But as an employer, who can effect many lives, it matters a lot more.

I'm sure he's not the only pro sports owner to have similar thoughts. It really doesn't matter how the info got out (I think it was definitely leaked intentionally)...but the league can't have its owners making comments such as this off the record or otherwise and not do anything.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda hoping they would, or both teams sit and force a resched of the game But, they stuck to their contract obligations. Kudos. Seeing a half empty arena with no ad banners would send a clear message that its time for sterling to cash in.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to believe he'd sell too. Something tells me this guy is stubborn though.

Sterling was long noted as one of the cheapest owners in pro sports...despite one of the lowest gates in the league, he made a profit by basically taking the TV money and spending as little as possible on team payroll. He didn't care about the gate or the product on the court.

If the thinks the value of the team will go down substantially, I think he will entertain selling the team. Although the vast majority of gate fans are white, most people don't want to be associated with a guy like that unless they share his views...I can see a major season ticket drop off if he still owns the team next year.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That chick is either extremely stupid or she was reading from a script

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on that point in bold. Much like the fence sitters in America turned on Romney when they realized he didn't give a flip about them.

NBA...I agree that there is nothing legally wrong with his comments. If you or I said them nobody would care. But as an employer, who can effect many lives, it matters a lot more.

I'm sure he's not the only pro sports owner to have similar thoughts. It really doesn't matter how the info got out (I think it was definitely leaked intentionally)...but the league can't have its owners making comments such as this off the record or otherwise and not do anything.

I think the only thing the nba should punish him for is being stupid enough to say such things to a half black gold digging bimbo that was already mad at him. There should be a moron clause.

Let the market handle the rest. I will be a bit disappointed if there are any ads up in that arena and its packed the next game after, or if, the recording is verified. His lack of response is pretty damning, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda hoping they would, or both teams sit and force a resched of the game But, they stuck to their contract obligations. Kudos. Seeing a half empty arena with no ad banners would send a clear message that its time for sterling to cash in.

Can you imagine the awesome shit show that would cause?

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the team if those guys are offended why dont they just walk away ? but they wont because they like his money even if they dont like him

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe State Farm has already pulled their Clipper's sponsorship. This is what will have to take place to get rid of Sterling. I don't think the NBA can really do anything to make him sell the team. It will take sponsors and the general public no longer supporting the Clippers and affecting Sterling's bottom line.