• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TKO's 2014 WR Rankings - Standard

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says you have to start with QB rankings? This year, I figured I'll start with the most important position in fantasy football, the wide receiver. I know, I know, Quarterbacks score the most points. I know, I know, Running Backs (especially elite) are a must. However, when it comes down to consistency at the Wide Receiver position, nothing holds more water for a winning fantasy football team.

Take Vincent Jackson for example. A top 12 on most boards, but when you look at his week to week production, it can be looked at as boom or bust, with four weeks of 3 points or less (five weeks including Wk 17), and four more with 6 or 7 points scored. If not for his three monster games and three good games, he wouldn't be on anyone's list. Since you can say that last part about anyone, I only mention it because if he's your #1 WR, I think you're in more trouble than if Reggie Bush is your #1 RB.

On that note, I'll put out my Top 50 WR, hopefully in order for production to come, but for now, all I can promise is this is how I'd draft them.

1. Calvin Johnson, Det
2. Demaryius Thomas, Den
3. A.J. Green, Cin
4. Dez Bryant, Dal
5. Jordy Nelson, GB (say what you will, he's just awesome)
6. Brandon Marshall, Chi
7. Julio Jones, Atl (show me!)
8. Randall Cobb, GB
9. Michael Floyd, Ari (my breakout special)
10. Alshon Jeffery, Chi (still great, but I don't see an improvement on last year)
11. Antonio Brown, Pit
12. Pierre Garcon, Was
13. Larry Fitzgerald, Ari
14. Wes Welker, Den
15. Michael Crabtree, SF
16. Vincent Jackson, TB
17. Keenan Allen, SD
18. T.Y. Hilton, Ind
19. Victor Cruz, NYG
20. Julien Edelman, NE (the "unsexiest" pick in the draft)
21. Roddy White, Atl
22. Terrance Williams, Dal
23. Torrey Smith, Bal
24. DeSean Jackson, Was
25. Reggie Wayne, Ind
26. Cordarrelle Patterson, Min
27. Percy Harvin, Sea
28. Jermaine Kearse, Sea (I understand this makes most of you laugh)
29. Kenny Stills, NO (surprise! first Saints receiver)
30. Rueben Randle, NYG
31. Andre Johnson, Hou ? (obviously a change in scenery may help, but I hate holdouts)
32. Kelvin Benjamin, Car (wouldn't be shocked to see him in the top 24)
33. Eric Decker, NYJ
34. Kendall Wright, Ten
35. Tavon Austin, StL (Foot must be getting to me!)
36. Marcus Wheaton, Pit
37. Jeremy Maclin, Phi
38. Marques Colston, NO
39. Brandin Cooks, NO
40. Mike Wallace, Mia (a very poor man's V-Jax)
41. Jarrett Boykins, GB
42. Aaron Dobson, NE (wouldn't shock me to see him in the top 30)
43. Sammy Watkins, Buf
44. Andre Caldwell, Den (yup)
45. Emmanuel Sanders, Den
46. Dwayne Bowe, KC (lucky he's even here)
47. Anquan Boldin, SF
48. Mike Evans, TB
49. Golden Tate, Det
50. Brian Hartline, Mia

So people think WR is deep? I do not. I want as many from the top as I can get. Consistency is the name of the game in my eyes. Obviously, in flex leagues where only two WR are needed, their demand is less, but in 3-WR leagues, the elite are the most important piece of your team.

Stay healthy boys!

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have b marsh to low. I'd much rather have him than jordy for the sole reason of the QB that is throwing to them. Aaron Rodgers spreads it around. Jay cutler stares down Brandon Marshall until he can force it to him. This is the main reason that I will not be taking Jeffery early either. I'm also not a fan of Crabtree. I think he's vastly overrated.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like your points on Vincent Jackson. I had this argument with a colleague last year. He had Vincent Jackson as his top wr and thought he was set. I made the points you did and he thought I was crazy.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35. Tavon Austin, StL (Foot must be getting to me!)

Good I am glad, just check out his tape from when he played the Colts. That is what he is meant to do, but Fisher didn't quite figure it out until now. Fisher did the same thing with Chris Johnson, made him split time with Lendale White then once he figured out what should have been obvious to a 5 year old Johnson rushed for 2,000 plus. That's why I had Tavon so high last year, never thought Fisher would make the very same mistake with Tavon that he did with Johnson. But I forgot to factor in that it takes Fisher 2 years to figure things out so Tavon SHOULD crack the top 5 this year. Fisher if you are listening Im sorry man no offence but GIVE TAVON THE DARN BALL MAN!!!!!

The Foots Rankings are COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, most would agree with you and put Marshall higher. I think Jordy goes off this year, that's all. Rodgers can spread it around all he likes, but it won't be at the expense of Jordy Nelson catches/touchdowns.

I was never high on Crabtree either, but you talk about Cutler locking in on Marshall, I say the same of Kaep to Crab.

I also didn't like leaving Raiders' receivers out of the top 50. They are just too abundant for me to decipher. Is it Holmes who breaks out? Streater most consistent? Denarius take back his pre-2013 status? The new James Jones bringing touchdowns to the black hole? I just don't know, so I left them out.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also didn't like leaving Raiders' receivers out of the top 50. They are just too abundant for me to decipher. Is it Holmes who breaks out? Streater most consistent? Denarius take back his pre-2013 status? The new James Jones bringing touchdowns to the black hole? I just don't know, so I left them out.

18. TY Hilton, 25. Reggie Wayne

I'm starting to feel the same way with the Colt WRs. Can Wayne's body hold out for another full season? Does Hilton finally start putting up consistent week-to-week #s? Where does newly acquired Hakeem Nicks fall into this equation, and at who's expense? Can 2nd year man Da'Rick Rodgers and his 6'2", 217lb, 4.5 40time find some time on the field? Rookie Donte Moncrief is a work in progress, but he shares similar skill set to Rodgers, 6'2", 220lb, 4.4 40. Dewayne Allen and Fleener at TE - gotta believe Allen will get every chance to hold down the every-play TE1 spot as Fleener failed to impress in that roll last year.

Needless to say, the Colts are at least trying to provide Luck with as many friggin weapons as possible. Not sure Wayne/Hilton/Nicks are the best 3 they even have.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So people think WR is deep? I do not. I want as many from the top as I can get. Consistency is the name of the game in my eyes. Obviously, in flex leagues where only two WR are needed, their demand is less, but in 3-WR leagues, the elite are the most important piece of your team.

Stay healthy boys!

People can debate and hem and haw about your ranking .. but this statement is dead on balls accurate. After the top 20 or so, which is at best 2 WR's per team, the talent might be there but any consistency in the results will not be. There may be a lot of roster worthy WR's, but in a 12 team league we're talking roughly 48-60 WR's.. It ain't THAT deep and pickings will be slim when is all said and done

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you've done all the hard work all I'd have to do is tweak.

I'd have Maclin higher - remember a couple of years ago? And Philly's got a better passing game now.

And Edelweiss lower - Dobson and Thompkins are better talents and now have more of the experience they need, and with Amendola and Vareen and Gronk there to catch the shorter balls I'm not sure what will be left for Edelweiss. To me his performance last year feels like Moreno's - a guy who got his touches by default because he was trusted more than more-talented rookies (and who stayed more healthy than Vareen/Gronk/Amendola), but is now less important now that the other guys have gained experience and health. I think the Pats signed him as insurance more than anything else since Gronk and Amendola are so fragile.

He'd never fall to where I'd think of drafting him.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I likely won't have the balls to do it either, and you may be right about him and his place on the talent depth chart...but I have taken into account Amendola's durability, and Thompkins doesn't have the same game as Edelman, so that's where my reasoning was.... even though I agree with most of what you said.

My Maclin ranking is of the same reasoning... just don't see him getting through the season. If you could promise me 16 games, he would be higher... and, with the same approach, Miles Austin would be ranked... so I guess you can say Maclin is my (
)

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stay healthy boys!

Certainly you can debate as to whether or not the list is the way things will fall out, especially M. Floyd and Edelman in the top 20 and Kearse in the top 30 but stranger things have happened. I made the same observation you stated above on another post when someone's strategy was start grabbing WR's starting in the 5th or 6th rd. If you are lucky and think having someone like Patterson or Harvin as your #1 is a good idea, then good luck with that.
Also, as you stated, many leagues (such as ours) require starting 3WR's vs 2RB's, simple supply and demand tells us you simply can't ignore the position regardless what the 'experts' may think is 'deep'. Yep you can get bodies, but using a 3:2 ratio - WR quality drops at least at the same rate to RB.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard some "chatter" about Andre Johnson and New England... if that were to happen, I would have to bump AJ to where JE is (or higher)... and then some possible rearranging with Edelman, Dobson and Hopkins might pop in the picture.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, as you stated, many leagues (such as ours) require starting 3WR's vs 2RB's, simple supply and demand tells us you simply can't ignore the position regardless what the 'experts' may think is 'deep'. Yep you can get bodies, but using a 3:2 ratio - WR quality drops at least at the same rate to RB.

totally agree! although, our MBBRL is a flex is it not?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MBBRL is indeed a flex, and was last year. (Lefty, you beat me Round 1 with CJ Spiller at the flex, then lost the title game to Tlance with Dennis Johnson at the flex.)

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MBBRL is indeed a flex, and was last year. (Lefty, you beat me Round 1 with CJ Spiller at the flex, then lost the title game to Tlance with Dennis Johnson at the flex.)

Sorry - got the Suicide and Coma mixed up with MBBRL. .... only excuse is diminished brain capacity. ...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you've done all the hard work all I'd have to do is tweak.

I'd have Maclin higher - remember a couple of years ago? And Philly's got a better passing game now.

And Edelweiss lower - Dobson and Thompkins are better talents and now have more of the experience they need, and with Amendola and Vareen and Gronk there to catch the shorter balls I'm not sure what will be left for Edelweiss. To me his performance last year feels like Moreno's - a guy who got his touches by default because he was trusted more than more-talented rookies (and who stayed more healthy than Vareen/Gronk/Amendola), but is now less important now that the other guys have gained experience and health. I think the Pats signed him as insurance more than anything else since Gronk and Amendola are so fragile.

one major consideration though..both Gronk and Amendola end up on the trainers table if you look at them in the wrong way. Edelman will be fine, although probably not quite where he was last year..surely those guys won't miss quite as many games..right??

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edelman will be fine, although probably not quite where he was last year..surely those guys won't miss quite as many games..right??

Nobody really noticed because he wasn't all that relevant before, but 2013 was special for Edelman in that it was the only year he managed to stay on the field for all 16 games. He's actually missed 16 out of 80 games in his career due to a variety of injuries.

Of course that pales in comparison to Gronk and Amendola - but it's still four more games than the next four guys on TKO's list combined (out of a combined 19 seasons).

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good I am glad, just check out his tape from when he played the Colts. That is what he is meant to do, but Fisher didn't quite figure it out until now. Fisher did the same thing with Chris Johnson, made him split time with Lendale White then once he figured out what should have been obvious to a 5 year old Johnson rushed for 2,000 plus. That's why I had Tavon so high last year, never thought Fisher would make the very same mistake with Tavon that he did with Johnson. But I forgot to factor in that it takes Fisher 2 years to figure things out so Tavon SHOULD crack the top 5 this year. Fisher if you are listening Im sorry man no offence but GIVE TAVON THE DARN BALL MAN!!!!!

The Foots Rankings are COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!

do they come with popcorn

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling this is the year we start to see a regression in Calvin Johnson.