• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans Finally Have Franchise Caliber QB In Mariota

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in many years Tennessee's QB spot looks secure. Jake Locker didn't have nowhere near the rookie year Mariota did and was full of question marks. 2007 would have to be the last time the team went into an offseason and felt really good headed into the next year after VY won rookie of the year and pro bowl honors. Too bad he imploded soon afterwards however with Mariota the long term future looks bright.

So McNair is the true benchmark by which Mariota will be measured. McNair didn't really play regularly until his third year. From 1995-2005 McNair played in Tennessee going to the postseason four times including two AFC title games and one Super Bowl appearance along with a couple division titles and being named 2003 NFL MVP.

GM Jon Robinson is in the process of building a better team around Mariota so the team can compete and possibly reach the postseason. Adding RB Demarco Murray the 2014 NFL rushing leader and offensive player of the year also WR Rishard Matthews 50.8% of passes targeted for him last year (31 of 61) resulted in 1st downs the 2nd-best figure in NFL. Matthews was also the 5th best WR in the league as far as his QB's rating when being thrown at. Add in new center Ben Jones and possibly drafting another lineman the offense looks way better.

If Tennessee adds the right pieces to a defense that finished 12th in 2014 and the offense improves they will definitely be a much better team in Mariota's second year as starting QB.

Last year Mariota set numerous records pretty much from game one becoming the first rookie QB in NFL history to post a perfect 158.3 passer rating on Kickoff Weekend. He was also the youngest QB to throw 4 TDs in a game and the second rookie with a perfect rating but only one to do it on his 1st game. Mariota and Titan's 28-point margin of victory with Wk 1 rookie starting QB was largest since 1948. First rookie in NFL History to throw a perfect game in his first one. This led to AFC Offensive Player of the Week,NFL Rookie of the Week & NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month honors.

In Mariota's third game against Indy his 367 passing yards breaks the single-game franchise rookie record. He tied the NFL record for most touchdown passes through his first three games with eight. By week eight he was the first rookie in history with two games with 4+ TD passes & 0 INTs in a season. The only two QB's to have had two 4TD/0INT games were Mariota and Tom Brady that year at that point. At one point Mariota was best in NFL in QB red-zone rating with 16TD thrown and 0INT and a QB rating 115.7. In week nine he was AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the second time.

In week thirteen against Jax Mariota's 87-yard touchdown run was the longest rush in the NFL that season and second-longest run by an NFL quarterback in NFL history. He also had 4 games with 3+ TD passes, tied with Peyton Manning for most ever by rookie QB. He was also the first player in NFL history with 250+ pass yds, 100+ rush yds & 3 TD passes in a game. Mariota was first person since Walter Payton in 1983 to have TDs of at least 40 yds passing, rushing & receiving in the same season. He also holds Titans franchise rookie record for TDs in a single season.

Breaking records by Tom Brady,Peyton Manning and Walter Payton is pretty damn good for a rookie QB.

The sky is the limit for Mariota heading into the 2016 season............

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Hammer makes snide comment...

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Hammer makes snide comment...

LOL,i havent been around in a while BUT i don't see how anyone can't read what i just wrote and not come away thinking that Tennessee has definitely found themselves a good franchise caliber QB. Look at all the stuff he did as a rookie and the records he broke.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, but then there's developing Mariota, and protecting him. I will view him as more than a promising talent if he can stay upright a full season. Franchise QB potential is definitely there if it is tapped.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger>McNair's corpse>Young>Mariota>Brady

As far as Mettenberger goes i thought he had a really good rookie season. Not his fault he regressed last season with no protection or weapons.

In Mettenberger's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating. Not bad for first full game.....

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating. After the game even the Steelers defense complimented Mett on a great game.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Out of all six games he played only the last one against New York was bad mainly because of guys off the street playing on a poor offensive line ravaged by injuries.He completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception.

Remember Mettenberger had a terrible offensive line,no run game two years in a row.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL,i havent been around in a while BUT i don't see how anyone can't read what i just wrote and not come away thinking that Tennessee has definitely found themselves a good franchise caliber QB. Look at all the stuff he did as a rookie and the records he broke.
I like Mariotta a lot, but to be honest all "the records" you posted are kind of meaningless and based on a couple of games. I think you summed it up yourself about putting the cart before the horse when you mentioned how your last rookie savior turned out:

"VY won rookie of the year and pro bowl honors"
"Too bad he imploded soon afterwards"

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously the Titans are only going to go as far as the QB play allows, but imo adding a top tier RB is going to help him out a great deal.

While I don't think they can go wrong with Tunsil and move Lewan over to RT...I have really come around to them using FA money on a vet LT such as Beachum (reportedly getting close with JAX) or Penn (leaving OAK) and taking Ramsey #1...that move locks up LT, and S. Or they can take Tunsil and still probably take the #2 S off the board at 33.

Titans could very well be in the mix this season if Mariota takes another step up and things play out in the draft or FA.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was doubtful of Mariota when drafted.

But I was watching a game, first third of season or so, when he dropped back and had a couple guys blitzing immediately...he was going to get smacked.

In a split second he flicked a 20 yard slant to a receiver who had the DB on his hip, perfect pass was caught, TD.

Believe it was the quickest release I've ever seen, A. Rodgers quick.

So yes, I believe the Titans now have a QB.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Mariota's going to be a good 1. The Titans surround him with talent and they could be a team to watch soon.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Mettenberger goes i thought he had a really good rookie season. Not his fault he regressed last season with no protection or weapons.

In Mettenberger's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating. Not bad for first full game.....

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating. After the game even the Steelers defense complimented Mett on a great game.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Out of all six games he played only the last one against New York was bad mainly because of guys off the street playing on a poor offensive line ravaged by injuries.He completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception.

Remember Mettenberger had a terrible offensive line,no run game two years in a row.

His Pitt game was pretty bad, two turnover leading to 10 Pitt points, 3 points on the board before it was a blowout and he got a couple late TD's. He looked very rattled early on.

Watch the Balt game. Scored on the 2nd drive of the game (had a good opening drive but Shonn fumbled). Then 3 and out the rest of the game basically (gained 4 yards on next 8 drives, then an INT to end the game) Didn't convert a single 3rd down after that opening two drives.

Hou game he was hurt in that blowout right?

I realize his team around him has been bad, but his play has been awful or meaningless TD's in blowouts. He's struggled big time converting 3rd downs (literally Case Keenum has been the only one worse) and keeping in games. There's a reason he also has an 0-10 record and it just isn't his team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets keep Metternberger out of this. I think his 'success' was mostly a fluke.

Mariota had a few issues last year. I think Murray has the potential to help more than anything. He might not be the best running back in the league but he is idiot proof in that you can have him do anything in the run game or passing game and the other team has to respect it. Just a hunch but i bet no one was respecting the Titans run game last year. Mathews as a WR should also give them a YAC option. DGB with another year could be one of the biggest game changers on any offense.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not gonna make a snide remark, he is back to being a Titans fan

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger>McNair's corpse>Young>Mariota>Brady
I thought it was McNair's ghost.
He's not gonna make a snide remark, he is back to being a Titans fan
He doesn't want to talk bad about his team and at the same time the instant he posts something that casts Mariota in a good light it will instantly summon OD to try and force the years worth of crow he's been saving up down his throat.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was McNair's ghost.

He doesn't want to talk bad about his team and at the same time the instant he posts something that casts Mariota in a good light it will instantly summon OD to try and force the years worth of crow he's been saving up down his throat.

No a Ghost can't throw a football, a corpse can. Didn't you catch any of Denver's games with #18?

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was doubtful of Mariota when drafted.

But I was watching a game, first third of season or so, when he dropped back and had a couple guys blitzing immediately...he was going to get smacked.

In a split second he flicked a 20 yard slant to a receiver who had the DB on his hip, perfect pass was caught, TD.

Believe it was the quickest release I've ever seen, A. Rodgers quick.

So yes, I believe the Titans now have a QB.

Exactly. Also the longest run in the NFL last year wasn't by a RB but instead by a QB none other than Marcus Mariota who under pressure with some players blitzing and with no one open decided to run and ended up running for a 87 yard TD. I've also seen him have plays like you described as well.

Its not everyday you see a rookie QB breaking records by Peyton Manning,Tom Brady and even Walter Payton. Without a doubt i think Tennessee after suffering a few rough years with Jake Locker are back on track.

I do think Mcnair bar none is the best QB in Titans history 1999-present. However i think VY did well during his time here but his being lazy with poor study and practice habits doomed him. McNair was 56-37,VY was 30-17 both winning records as starting QB. Locker was 9-14 as a starter. Locker is the only QB drafted by TN to be starter with a losing record.

Vince Young had the 99 yard walkoff vs. Arizona,comeback vs. Giants down 21-0 in 4th but won 24-21,40 yard run to beat Texans in OT,Down 9 29-20 in 4th comeback to beat Bills 30-29,etc.

Well known to Titans fans is that he saved Jeff Fisher's job twice. How he did this was Bud Adams was pissed at Fisher starting 2-7 with Kerry Collins in 2006 after Fish had two prior losing years in a row so VY won 6 of the teams last 7 games finishing the year 8-8. Then in 2009 after starting 0-6 with Kerry Collins with the owner pissed again he puts in VY who won 8 of the last 10 games to finish 8-8 again.

The team started out 5-2 in 2010 before a brutal argument had nearly broke into a fight between Fisher and VY after an OT loss to Washington both Fisher and VY were no longer on the team after this season and VY never played another game with Tennessee after starting 5-2 and the team ended up 6-10 with another long losing streak with Collins who was usually crap in Tennessee except for 2008.

Most Titans fans were and still are down heavily on VY after he didn't do his best here BUT even though the team had a good defense the fact is VY did have a knack for winning games.

As for Mariota i think if he works hard he will eventually surpass McNair IF he can lead the team back to winning again and postseason success.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MIKE75 My son and I went to Titans Sports Fest on Saturday and got our pics taken with Kuharksy, Jim Wyatt, Mike Keith, Frank Wycheck, Chris Hope, Brad Hopkins, etc. We were at Mularkey and Robinson's rountable with Mike Keith and came away very confident in them both! They faced a lot of frustration for the past regime and promised positive, wholesale changes.

I'm back! :clap: