• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans Finally Have Franchise Caliber QB In Mariota

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of football fans tend to lump in Tennessee nowadays with the worst teams in the league including Cleveland,Jacksonville,Oakland,Detroit,Buffalo,etc. BUT those fans are very wrong.

Sure the last two years have been the toughest since the team started in Tennessee in 1999. Tennessee was 2-14 in 2014 and 3-13 in 2015 in large part due to the terrible drafting of former GM Ruston Webster who did many dumb things.

Webster pass on BPA in 2012 drafting LB Zach Brown instead of Lavonte David,bring in a washed up OL Steve Hutchinson and overpaid Andy Levitre instead of bringing in Evan Mathis a better option than both at the time. Drafting OL Warmack 10th in first round loaded with defensive talent like DL Sheldon Richardson. The Titans could've waited and had Larry Warford in round three who is just as good or better than Warmack. In 2014 with choice of any RB picked Bishop Sankey who has fumble issues and can barely gain 3 yards a carry over Jeremy Hill,Carlos Hyde,etc.

From 1999 through 2013 the teams first 15 years the Titans had the NFL best record twice,seven winning seasons,six different years of playoff appearances,two AFC championship game appearances and one Super Bowl.

In those 15 years they had six losing seasons. Thats better than Cleveland,Jacksonville,Oakland,Detroit,Buffalo by a big long shot. The team had its last winning season in 2011.

The wheels truly fell off the last two years no doubt BUT with the arrival of QB Marcus Mariota the team should be better sooner rather than later.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MIKE75 My son and I went to Titans Sports Fest on Saturday and got our pics taken with Kuharksy, Jim Wyatt, Mike Keith, Frank Wycheck, Chris Hope, Brad Hopkins, etc. We were at Mularkey and Robinson's rountable with Mike Keith and came away very confident in them both! They faced a lot of frustration for the past regime and promised positive, wholesale changes.

I'm back! :clap:

I have a lot of faith in the new GM Jon Robinson if the team is patient with him he will lead them back to winning. I didn't think Mariota would do well at first and was worried due to our luck with Locker but after a few games i could see Mariota was really good. I hope Murray does well at RB here like he did in Dallas.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a lot of faith in the new GM Jon Robinson if the team is patient with him he will lead them back to winning. I didn't think Mariota would do well at first and was worried due to our luck with Locker but after a few games i could see Mariota was really good. I hope Murray does well at RB here like he did in Dallas.

One thing I took away from their talk was that Mularkey promised to run the ball.

I have complete faith that Robinson is going to do the right thing with the pick. That's something we haven't enjoyed for a decade.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MIKE75 My son and I went to Titans Sports Fest on Saturday and got our pics taken with Kuharksy, Jim Wyatt, Mike Keith, Frank Wycheck, Chris Hope, Brad Hopkins, etc. We were at Mularkey and Robinson's rountable with Mike Keith and came away very confident in them both! They faced a lot of frustration for the past regime and promised positive, wholesale changes.

I'm back! :clap:
Praying for Tenn to take Goff at #1 and send you right back into the street to burn another jersey...:hope:

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Praying for Tenn to take Goff at #1 and send you right back into the street to burn another jersey...:hope:

You know full well with how good Mariota is there is zero chance of Goff in TN.:nono:

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reactions to the many impressive records Mariota set last year as a rookie.....

*Mariota became the first QB in NFL history with at least 250 yards/3 TDs passing and rush for 100+ yards in same game.

What this shows me is i was definitely right in my thinking that due to how impressive he is passing as well as running that any and everything is possible. No one has ever done this not Randall Cunningham,Steve McNair,Mike Vick,Cam Newton,Russell Wilson or anyone.

Also....

*Mariota's 87-yard touchdown run against Jax was the longest rush in the NFL that season and second-longest run by an NFL quarterback in NFL history.

Lamar Miller a RB had the longest run in 2014 and this stat longest run is always held by a RB nearly each year until now in 2015 when a QB Mariota set the mark.

*First player since Walter Payton in 1983 to have TDs of at least 40 yds passing, rushing & receiving in the same season.

Again i thought it was cool he did this clearly shows how multi-talented he is. Achieved something that hadn't been done in over 30 years.

*The first rookie QB in NFL history to post a perfect 158.3 passer rating on opening week in his very first game.

How many times have you seen a rookie QB have a perfect game his first time playing? None because Mariota was the first to do it.

*The youngest QB ever to throw 4 TDs in a game

To do it in his first game was awesome.

*Mariota and Titan's 28-point margin of victory with Wk 1 rookie starting QB was largest since 1948.

Not often you see a QB so dominate in his first game.

*Tied the NFL record for most touchdown passes through his first three games with eight.

Well that was another thirty year plus record i believe he tied with Dan Marino who did it in 1983.

*By week 8 was the first rookie in history with two games 4+ TD passes & 0 INTs in a season.

Again yet another record set by Mariota in his rookie season.

*At one point was best in NFL QB red-zone rating w/ 16TD thrown and 0INT and a QB rating 115.7.

Bodes well for Mariota and Titans in long term future.........

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both McNair and VY did many cool things while QB both set numerous records as well as leave with a winning record as a starter overall. The only bump in the road was Locker who just wasn't talented nor was a winner either but i'm glad he is gone.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I took away from their talk was that Mularkey promised to run the ball.

I have complete faith that Robinson is going to do the right thing with the pick. That's something we haven't enjoyed for a decade.

Something else we've been missing for a decade was a steady franchise caliber QB. No other team had more QB issues in the NFL at QB from 2005 through 2015. Every year the team had a different starter than the year before.

Kerry Collins,Rusty Smith,Jake Locker,Charlie Whitehurst,Ryan Fitzpatrick,Matt Hasselbeck,Zach Mattenberger were all backup QB's plunged into starting roles because Vince Young and Jake Locker were both injury prone.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams go through cycles of winning and losing. Although Seattle and Cincinnati make the postseason every year there was a point in their team history where both teams looked awful pretty much the whole 1990's decade. Cincinnati first half of the decade went 3-13 three times and 5-11 once then mid decade hoevered around 7-9 but quickly fell back into 3-13 a few times to close out the decade. Seattle went 9-7 in 1990 to open and 9-7 to close the decade in between not one winning season at all.

From 1981 through 1998 the 49ers went on a run some teams only dream about with 10 or more wins every year for almost 20 straight years. From 1989 through 1993 most Patriots fabs will easily say its the worst period in the teams history. 5-11 in '89 Ray Berry's last year. Then the terrible Rod Rust who went 1-15. Followed up with 2-14,5-11 and finally 6-10 and you see why in 1993 they decided drastic change was needed and got Bill Parcells who turned things around.

What i'm trying to get around to is showing that teams that win regularly now all had their times when they were losing through many seasons.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have peaked.

Teams have a year of film on him now. They'll make him do things he doesn't want to do.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have peaked.

Teams have a year of film on him now. They'll make him do things he doesn't want to do.

You are correct he very well might have peaked kinda like RG3......

BUT in my honest opinion i'll give you a few reasons why i don't think he has peaked......

(1) RG3 started to have a sense of entitlement with owner Dan Snyder in Washington and would usually get his way with the owner and personnel at the top. I can remember reading as more came out about this first couple years that RG3 had gotten to where he was not well liked by certain members of the team. Instead of working for things RG3 wanted whatever he needed to be given to him.

Also after RG3 first year it was either RG3 or ownership's idea to have RG3 be a pocket style QB and be totally done with the dual threat style he used as a rookie. Then RG3 during his first year against Baltimore had his knee injured when Haloti Ngata hit Griffin directly at his right knee, twisting it. He then re-injured his knee in a wild card loss to the Seahawks. RG3 underwent surgery on January 9 and both his LCL and ACL repaired. As each year passed he got worse......

I extremely doubt that Mariota will start getting a sense of entitlement nor do i think he would get buddy buddy with ownership having them give him everything he wants. Also Mariota hasn't gotten injured yet like RG3 and one more thing to remember is if Mariota loses mobility he still is talented as a pocket passer. RG3 wasn't as good a pocket passer as Mariota. Everyone on the team likes Mariota he is humble and works hard for everything.

(2) As far as Mariota peaking i don't think he will play worse because teams have film. If anything he will play better because he has a great work ethic and will constantly be in the playbook. Also he is already out in Cali now getting throwing and practice time in.

(3) Mariota will be doing whatever he can to make sure he and his teammates are on the same page. He is a very dedicated player i think if the team puts weapons around him he will succeed.

(4) Last but not least Mariota dominated the combine in certain categories and is in great physical shape not only that but he is outstanding mentally as well and is lightning fast remembering plays.

The insane thing to remember about Mariota he is really gifted physically and dominated the combine and is great mentally remembering all kinds of info and recalling it lightning fast mentally. Well also Mariota is a really good pocket passer being able to do it that well. Also he is fast running as well as that is a weapon in his game as well.

Last edited: