• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time To Prepare For A Top 5 Pick

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume that 1.) RG3 will not get a huge contract extension this offseason 2.) the Redskins will not draft a QB in the high rounds in the next draft & 3.) they will not pickup or trade for a high profile QB for next season. Do you agree?

If so - what difference will it make if RG3 returns & plays well this season? It can only help the team. If he subsequently incurs a major injury or tanks in 2015 - so what - they move on at that time as planned. If - unfortunately - he gets hurt this season - well - then it will allow them to make that decision that you alluded to in your reply.

Unless I am wrong with the assumptions in my first paragraph I don't understand why it would be a bad thing for RG3 to do well if he returns.

I think where we disagree is the fact that he will do "WELL". I think he will come back and show some flashes. Just enough to have everyone drooling again. And no he wont get an extension this year, but he will show just enough that we will pick up his fifth year option I think.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where we disagree is the fact that he will do "WELL". I think he will come back and show some flashes. Just enough to have everyone drooling again. And no he wont get an extension this year, but he will show just enough that we will pick up his fifth year option I think.

OK - so barring Cousins having a complete turnaround - what is your dream situation as it relates to the Redskins for the remainder of this season & beyond? Would you prefer that they simply tank the rest of the year & play McCoy for the remainder of the season?

I just don't understand your take where basically RG3 comes out as the villain no matter what. He plays poorly - he is a bust. He plays well (excuse me "just good enough") he is hurting the team. In your scenario he is the bad guy regardless. Your hatred for this guy runs deep.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - so barring Cousins having a complete turnaround - what is your dream situation as it relates to the Redskins for the remainder of this season & beyond? Would you prefer that they simply tank the rest of the year & play McCoy for the remainder of the season?

I just don't understand your take where basically RG3 comes out as the villain no matter what. He plays poorly - he is a bust. He plays well (excuse me "just good enough") he is hurting the team. In your scenario he is the bad guy regardless. Your hatred for this guy runs deep.

Actually in a perfect world, Bob comes out and plays like he was worth what we gave up for him. Cousins plays well enough that we can get maybe a 3rd rounder for him and the team looks like its moving in a positive direction. Not treading water, not hot and cold. But consistent and positive. I want to see the team pick a direction and stick with it. If we are going to be a throw it around the yard 50 times a game team, get the Lineman AND the QB to do that. right now I think the players dont fit the direction, and the coaches are not going to change the direction to fit the players we have. I think the best coach we could have had for RG3 is now in Cleveland and the best thing that might come put of this season is Breeland and Chase become solid DBs, some of the young lineman get a shot and actually step up and ONE of our QBs shows enough to take the idea of taking a QB totally off the board. And not because of what we gave up, but because one of them shows enough to actually be worth building around.

Tdog21Skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that kid out of Oregon, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Good speed. Ball-hawk. Playmaker. P.J. Williams can play, too. I'm not sure of the OL in FA, but I like a couple in the draft, especially Andrus Peat and Cedric Ogbuhei. Honestly, I don't like Jay Gruden's play-calling. He doesn't run the ball enough. Of course, this was my concern, prior to him being hired.

Exactly! That's why honestly I wanted the 49ers offensive coordinator or why didn't we give Todd Bowls a look?

Tdog21Skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually in a perfect world, Bob comes out and plays like he was worth what we gave up for him. Cousins plays well enough that we can get maybe a 3rd rounder for him and the team looks like its moving in a positive direction. Not treading water, not hot and cold. But consistent and positive. I want to see the team pick a direction and stick with it. If we are going to be a throw it around the yard 50 times a game team, get the Lineman AND the QB to do that. right now I think the players dont fit the direction, and the coaches are not going to change the direction to fit the players we have. I think the best coach we could have had for RG3 is now in Cleveland and the best thing that might come put of this season is Breeland and Chase become solid DBs, some of the young lineman get a shot and actually step up and ONE of our QBs shows enough to take the idea of taking a QB totally off the board. And not because of what we gave up, but because one of them shows enough to actually be worth building around.

Who Kyle Shanahan?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically agree with you & RG3 is the better fit for a run first type offense & IMO that is where Gruden has to adapt. If he is hard headed & insists on only running one type of offense - well - that might take many years to accomplish (and he may be gone by then). I truly believe that if he doesn't adapt somewhat then his days as a head coach may be brief.

You are just torturing yourself if you want to keep beating everyone up for past decisions. For better or worse - the Shanahans, those top picks and everything else in the past can't be undone. Let it go already (for your own sake). Sure they can try and learn from their past mistakes but you can't constantly wish for the past to be undone. That is why I am basically advocating giving RG3 another chance & then taking it from there.

If/when that fails - fine - go another direction. One possibility from this is that we find out Gruden was the wrong guy - hope not. However - saying that does not mean that Shanahan was the right guy. I just want to see some positives this season & would probably enjoy a victory or two even if it was against a crappy team & was meaningless.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is we need to trade down that top 5 pick to get the later first round pick and that teams 2nd round pick. That's 3 early picks and possibly 3 starters. Make 2 of those picks linemen and the best DB we can find. In FA pick up another linemen to fill the RG spot or RT spot, whichever one we don't draft. Then continue to work on the core of the defense by targeting LB's and more DB's.
By the way, who missed Riley yesterday? Not me!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is we need to trade down that top 5 pick to get the later first round pick and that teams 2nd round pick. That's 3 early picks and possibly 3 starters. Make 2 of those picks linemen and the best DB we can find. In FA pick up another linemen to fill the RG spot or RT spot, whichever one we don't draft. Then continue to work on the core of the defense by targeting LB's and more DB's.
By the way, who missed Riley yesterday? Not me!

I agree. We can turn this one pick into 3 quality starters. It also spreads our risk if we pick a dud. There will be plenty of very good OL later in the 1st and early in the 2nd that should be able to step in and start. We can also find a starter at safety with one of these picks. But my guess is there will be a stud WR or OLB that someone (Snyder, allen, whomever) falls in love with and we keep our 1st and take him. Then we will watch as he blows his knee out in preseason and its dejaVu all over again.