• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Trubisky (and draft so far)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear I like Trubisky but Pace got schooled here into giving up way too much. The #3 and a 3rd round pick this year should have been enough to move 1 spot. Lynch saw Pace was desperate and took advantage of the kid. Pace is showing his strategic and negotiating weakness. His strength is in talent evaluation so I trust his research of Trubisky.

Yes, it's possible Pace got played. I won't deny that.

However, two 3rd's an a 4th isn't much, if you think you're getting a franchise changing QB. Which Pace obviously believed, and I am willing to give him the nod here. Until I see anything that proves him wrong on that.

It would be kind of be fitting irony, if Bears fans started out hating the QB who winds up being their first legitimate star since Luckman. After all of the damn QB's we jumped to crown as our messiah and then turned on. The fanbase kind of deserves to have this lash-out against the Trubisky pick rubbed in their faces.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people hated the Glennon move? Bottom line, we had no QB on the roster. I just hope Shaw beats out Sanchez for the third QB. The only thing I did not like was Pace declaring there is no quarterback competition because that pretty much says the best you have is not playing, the guy you are paying is. Dont get me wrong, I dont want Trubisky to start game 1, but I still want some resemblance of competition because thats going to make Mitch more prepared when Glennon goes down.

I actually liked it. Trubisky talked about it immediately in his presser, and said he was fine with it. He also talked about "competing" a lot.

I was reading about Glennon recently and the leadership role that he's taken on with the team. He holds workouts with the receivers at Deerfield HS a couple of times per week, and has been taking all of the guys to Bulls games... etc... Getting everyone together and really taking the reigns of the team. I think you'd really be not only ripping the rug out from under him, but the rest of the team as well. If you suddenly create instability at that position.

Trubisky needs to be holding a clipboard for a while. I have no problem with us establishing up front, that he will be doing so.

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler holds most the most bears qb records. What's done is done. There wasn't a Q at 3 and bears will have another high pick next year so they would have done the franchise better by picking the best player this year. I just see a dog chasing its tail and the bears will repeat 3-13 at least 3 more years with maybe a 5-11 sprinkled in.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible, but there was certainly word of teams wanting to trade up for him in the days leading up. I get what you're saying... but I'm not sure why people are taking that as an absolute. People are acting like it's outrageous to think that anyone else was bargaining for that pick. Which is silly.

You are correct sir. My statement is opinion and not fact. I just think that it was too much to pay to move up one spot on the unknown assumption that someone might jump them.

Even if SF did take advantage of the situation, it was still worth it for the Bears if Tru turns into a good NFL QB.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct sir. My statement is opinion and not fact. I just think that it was too much to pay to move up one spot on the unknown assumption that someone might jump them.

Even if SF did take advantage of the situation, it was still worth it for the Bears if Tru turns into a good NFL QB.

Yeah, if he turns out to be a franchise guy. The two mid-round picks will be treated as though they never existed.

If he sucks, it's Pace's ass... along with the staff.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean that backup money we paid him? What contract are you talking about?

Mike Glennon

Surely not that one...

18 mil guaranteed over 3 years, with an option after ONE year. Which would win up costing the Bears a grand total of 4.5 mil in dead cap if they choose to cut him loose.

If you hate Trubisky at #2 overall, fine. A lot of Bears fans do too. However, to say that they paid Glennon anything resembling a lot of money... is just dishonest. I believe it's valued at like 25th in the NFL among QB's.

2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Glennon got the best contract of any free agent QB by far.

I was saying why even go with Glennon and give him that contract if you are going after this kid? Plenty of other QBs on the market that could have started a few games before Trubinsky takes the reigns.

Either way you have a QB controversy coming. I'd be pissed. They could have went with Fournette and used all those picks on defense. Got back to the old school Bears.

So much pressure now on a kid in Chicago with 1 year college experience. He'll never live up to expectations.

Shows me that the Bears FO has no clue what they are doing and they fell in love.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was saying why even go with Glennon and give him that contract if you are going after this kid? Plenty of other QBs on the market that could have started a few games before Trubinsky takes the reigns.

Either way you have a QB controversy coming. I'd be pissed. They could have went with Fournette and used all those picks on defense. Got back to the old school Bears.

So much pressure now on a kid in Chicago with 1 year college experience. He'll never live up to expectations.

Shows me that the Bears FO has no clue what they are doing.

Let's take a gander at the other top notch pigskin hurlers that round up the top 5!

Brian Hoyer
Nick Foles
Josh McCown
Case Keenum

Holy shit! If he's getting paid more than these sure-fire all-pros, he must be pulling gold bricks out of his ass!

Let's check!

Nope... still a one year option contract, valued at near the bottom of the league among QB's in guaranteed cash.

Because they like Glennon quite a bit, and have made that clear throughout this entire process.

The first thing they told Trubisky was; "Mike Glennon is our starting QB". They called Glennon to assure him of that as well, and told it to the press.

Either way you have a QB controversy coming. I'd be pissed.

See above... no, we don't.

They could have went with Fournette

Oh, yeah! Why didn't I think of that!? We were 3-13, but let's draft the one position where we already have a young pro bowler! Not the one where we've had ONE total since the 1940's. Genius!

They could have went with Fournette and used all those picks on defense. Got back to the old school Bears.

Seeing as that's all we've been doing the past few off-seasons, and the D was the only bright spot last year. Ranked top 10 for the majority of the season, despite playing mostly backups a good chunk of the time. I guess I am missing the part where we're not addressing the defense.

What does this even mean? Lol, the kid isn't even going to sniff the field for a long time.

Actually, this post shows me that you are completely ignorant to what's going on with the team... lol. As in, clueless.

You should have done, maybe, a hint of research before casually dropping in and getting into all of this with people who are around for every move this team makes.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's take a gander at the other top notch pigskin hurlers that round up the top 5!

Brian Hoyer
Nick Foles
Josh McCown
Case Keenum

Holy shit! If he's getting paid more than these sure-fire all-pros, he must be pulling gold bricks out of his ass!

Let's check!

Nope... still a one year option contract, valued at near the bottom of the league among QB's in guaranteed cash.

Because they like Glennon quite a bit, and have made that clear throughout this entire process.

The first thing they told Trubisky was; "Mike Glennon is our starting QB". They called Glennon to assure him of that as well, and told it to the press.

Either way you have a QB controversy coming. I'd be pissed.

See above... no, we don't.

They could have went with Fournette

Oh, yeah! Why didn't I think of that!? We were 3-13, but let's draft the one position where we already have a young pro bowler! Not the one where we've had ONE total since the 1940's. Genius!

They could have went with Fournette and used all those picks on defense. Got back to the old school Bears.

Seeing as that's all we've been doing the past few off-seasons, and the D was the only bright spot last year. Ranked top 10 for the majority of the season, despite playing mostly backups a good chunk of the time. I guess I am missing the part where we're not addressing the defense.

What does this even mean? Lol, the kid isn't even going to sniff the field for a long time.

Actually, this post shows me that you are completely ignorant to what's going on with the team... lol. As in, clueless.

You should have done, maybe, a hint of research before casually dropping in and getting into all of this with people who are around for every move this team makes.

:lol: at "the kid is not going to sniff the field for a long time"

You could taken so many talented players at #3 and still kept the other picks. Yes you were 3-13 and mortgaged the farm for a kid that won't see the field in the long time?

That's genius

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's possible Pace got played. I won't deny that.

However, two 3rd's an a 4th isn't much, if you think you're getting a franchise changing QB. Which Pace obviously believed, and I am willing to give him the nod here. Until I see anything that proves him wrong on that.

It would be kind of be fitting irony, if Bears fans started out hating the QB who winds up being their first legitimate star since Luckman. After all of the damn QB's we jumped to crown as our messiah and then turned on. The fanbase kind of deserves to have this lash-out against the Trubisky pick rubbed in their faces.

This is precisely the point. You don't know what you are getting from Trubisky so based on that unknown Pace paid too much. What you are doing is pricing Trubisky after you know what you got. This is a bad argument.

Trubisky may be a great pick, i think he will end up being that way but that has nothing to do with what Pace paid for him now which is too much.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could taken so many talented players at #3 and still kept the other picks. Yes you were 3-13 and mortgaged the farm for a kid that won't see the field in the long time?

That's genius

What do you think "long time" means?

Are you unfamiliar with the NFL? It seems like your new to it. Are you aware that it's quite common for a rookie QB to sit behind a veteran in his first season?

"Long time" means... December... or 2018 if Glennon plays well. It just means he gets to hold a clipboard for a while and get acclimated. Apart of getting over, you know... the whole "inexperience" thing and not rush him.

I think we get it. You don't like Trubisky, and you don't know anything about the Bears... but you came here to tell us how the organization did everything wrong. Despite... again... being completely ignorant about everything pertaining to the organization.

Then, your best counter is to nitpick at words.

Cool... sweet deal... anything else?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think "long time" means?

Are you unfamiliar with the NFL? It seems like your new to it. Are you aware that it's quite common for a rookie QB to sit behind a veteran in his first season?

"Long time" means... December... or 2018 if Glennon plays well. It just means he gets to hold a clipboard for a while and get acclimated. Apart of getting over, you know... the whole "inexperience" thing and not rush him.

I think we get it. You don't like Trubisky, and you don't know anything about the Bears... but you came here to tell us how the organization did everything wrong. Despite... again... being completely ignorant about everything pertaining to the organization.

Then, your best counter is to nitpick at words.

Cool... sweet deal... anything else?

Sounds like you got it down man. Not like I've seen the movie with the Rams a few times who also had idiots running the show. It's almost like you are offended that your FO are idiots.

You don't give up the farm for a kid picked that early to sit. Goff wasn't ready and our Oline sucked. He still got in fairly quickly.

Either way.. Good luck with that

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is precisely the point. You don't know what you are getting from Trubisky so based on that unknown Pace paid too much. What you are doing is pricing Trubisky after you know what you got. This is a bad argument.

Trubisky may be a great pick, i think he will end up being that way but that has nothing to do with what Pace paid for him now which is too much.

I agree completely.

I've said that we gave too much, and it was a reach. I am simply saying that if he does pan out, those picks will be a distant memory. I could have worded it all better.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 to 2 is valued at 400 points on the trade chart.

What the Bears traded...

3.67 = 255 pts
4.111 = 72 pts

That's 327 pts. They had to offer them something else, next year's 3rd was about all they had. 3rd rd picks value from the first in the round, 3.65 at 265, to 3.107 at 80 pts.

This trade is not out of this world absurd by any means. If the Bears are in the top 3 again next year for picks, the worst case-scenario(worst team in the league)would be 192 pts, or pick No. 3.80.

If you go by the trade chart value, they really didn't get taken for anything. It was a fair trade.

Now whether he pans out, or would've been there anyway, nobody knows, but per the value chart, it's pretty cut and dried.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more that the NFL hype machine/media does this after the combine for guys like Goff and Trubinsky. I have nothing against them, just thought they were both reaches.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's genius

What was the option, continue building thru free agency? That has not worked either and in case you have not been paying attention, the bears ARE building thru free agency signing 11 players this offseason.

Lets not forget that Pace has said he thinks a QB should be drafted every year, and those have been wasted picks over the years too.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the option, continue building thru free agency? That has not worked either and in case you have not been paying attention, the bears ARE building thru free agency signing 11 players this offseason.

Lets not forget that Pace has said he thinks a QB should be drafted every year, and those have been wasted picks over the years too.

I think when you give up 3 picks in this draft - you're definitely not building much through the draft. You could have gotten a stud DB or a guy like Jonathan Allen at 3 who's going to be a dam good Dline guy for years.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line. No matter how all the talking heads want to sensationalize this trade, per the widely accepted trade chart, it was about right what one would expect.

Whether or not they should've done it, is definitely debatable, but what they gave is standard fare.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when you give up 3 picks in this draft - you're definitely not building much through the draft. You could have gotten a stud DB or a guy like Jonathan Allen at 3 who's going to be a dam good Dline guy for years.

They really didn't give up 3 in this draft. They gave up 2 picks in the draft. I don't think you really count the No. 3 overall, as they didn't lose anything on that, picking at 2.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more that the NFL hype machine/media does this after the combine for guys like Goff and Trubinsky. I have nothing against them, just thought they were both reaches.

That hype machine also works in other ways. Like spewing all over the airwaves that John Lynch is some prodigy in his first draft, and that the Bears got fleeced.

As per my draft value post, they really didn't, value-wise. Them getting "fleeced" is purely an opinion based solely on whether folks like Trubisky or not. Shouldn't have anything to do with the picks gained or lost as they were right where they should be. Just whether Trubs was worth it or not, which who really knows. He could easily be a bust, or the best QB in the draft. Only time will tell.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of him sitting tho.

Get him on the field. Don't waste his youth.