• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Trubisky (and draft so far)

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the QBs in this draft there was no question to me Trubisky was the top guy. I even said if we were going the QB route, it would have to be Trubisky and only Trubisky. However, we sure gave up a lot to move up one spot. But I have to say, I am excited about this kid. And this is coming from a defensive fan. Some additional thoughts:

* Pace's job security will now be tethered to Trubisky.

* While it looks from the outside that Pace is showing a lot of balls here to take a developmental QB in a year where the owner demands improvement. Clearly Pace is hedging his bet with Glennon. I don't think Glennon is here to groom Trubisky, but rather to improve the team while Trubisky develops. In other words, if Glennon wasn't picked up, and Trubisky learns on the job, it's clear the Bears will have a losing record again and Pace could be out of a job next year. I still say sticking with Cutler for one additional year was the better move.

* This also explains why the Browns contemplated so much on taking Trubisky #1 knowing the Bears really wanted him. When the QBs they wanted were all gone by the time the Browns picked again at 12, they threw their hands up and traded down.

* The Bears tried really hard to not show their love for Trubisky but failed. They didn't even invite Trubisky for a private workout to throw off the scent but the Browns still knew. It's hard to keep a secret in the draft.

* A lot of offensive players taken, the second round should give us a solid defensive guy to take. I would be pretty pissed if we didn't draft defense in round 2.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think he will be our franchise guy the next ten-fifteen years?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he better be. I assume that's the plan.

My question, is he THAT much better than the 4 or 5 taken after him, with later picks?

I think he's head and shoulders a better prospect than the rest. I think it's pretty obvious that the rest of the league felt that way as well, or else it wouldn't have been so pressing for the Bears to trade up.

How much KC gave up to take freaking Pat Mahomes at #10 overall makes me feel a little bit better. lol. At least we got the #1 QB in the draft, and didn't give up anything higher than a 3rd. KC gave up their 3rd this year, and their FIRST ROUND PICK next year. A first, a third and a first for Mahomes.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My beef is I think he would've been there at 3.

No way to know for sure, and obviously they felt he wouldn't be, but giving up two 3's and a 4 for one spot, is tough to swallow.

ANy time you take a QB that high, it's boom or bust...hopefully it's boom.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way to know for sure, and obviously they felt he wouldn't be, but giving up two 3's and a 4 for one spot, is tough to swallow.

I thought so at first, but third round picks are usually borderline starters. You might get a few gems there, but many times they don't pan out. If we were to give up a second rounder, I'd be more upset.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way he would of been there at 3, that's why we traded up. It's not a secret the Browns were targeting him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's now clear that multiple teams were talking with SF and that Mitch would be gone by three. He was everyone's No.1 QB. We got the best QB in the draft. It cost us but if it works out SF will look silly not us.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that's what makes this tough.

It's one thing if we just would have taken Trubisky, I think some still would have reacted in astonishment, but all in all... it would have been easier on most. It was giving away three picks just to move up ONE spot.

I HAVE to think he would have been gone, or we wouldn't have made the deal.

May I also add that ESPN and everyone telling the entire world it meant we were taking Solomon Thomas, did not help lessen the blow? Lol, They made it sound like it was a foregone conclusion that we were taking Thomas. Then... BANG... like a punch to the gut. Trubisky's name gets read.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought so at first, but third round picks are usually borderline starters. You might get a few gems there, but many times they don't pan out. If we were to give up a second rounder, I'd be more upset.

Eh... third rounders are usually expected to be full-time starters at some point man.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear I like Trubisky but Pace got schooled here into giving up way too much. The #3 and a 3rd round pick this year should have been enough to move 1 spot. Lynch saw Pace was desperate and took advantage of the kid. Pace is showing his strategic and negotiating weakness. His strength is in talent evaluation so I trust his research of Trubisky.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys got rolled. The dude has 1 year as a starter. The hype machine strikes again.

And why in the hell do you give Glennon that contract? They've had this pick for
Months.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he might pan out to be a good QB for the Bears, which would make it worthwhile, but I think that SF played the Bears' FO by making them think they had trade partners targeting Tru. I believe that he would have been there at #3. As it is, SF got the guy they wanted and extra picks.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys got rolled. The dude has 1 year as a starter. The hype machine strikes again.

And why in the hell do you give Glennon that contract? They've had this pick for
Months.

You mean that backup money we paid him? What contract are you talking about?

Mike Glennon

Surely not that one...

18 mil guaranteed over 3 years, with an option after ONE year. Which would win up costing the Bears a grand total of 4.5 mil in dead cap if they choose to cut him loose.

If you hate Trubisky at #2 overall, fine. A lot of Bears fans do too. However, to say that they paid Glennon anything resembling a lot of money... is just dishonest. I believe it's valued at like 25th in the NFL among QB's.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he might pan out to be a good QB for the Bears, which would make it worthwhile, but I think that SF played the Bears' FO by making them think they had trade partners targeting Tru. I believe that he would have been there at #3. As it is, SF got the guy they wanted and extra picks.

Possible, but there was certainly word of teams wanting to trade up for him in the days leading up. I get what you're saying... but I'm not sure why people are taking that as an absolute. People are acting like it's outrageous to think that anyone else was bargaining for that pick. Which is silly.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that made Trubisky a better prospect was the fact he already is a pocket passer. That is what teams spend time teaching and developing in the NFL. Watson will be the first to start a game it seems, if all stay healthy.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean that backup money we paid him? What contract are you talking about?

Mike Glennon

Surely not that one...

18 mil guaranteed over 3 years, with an option after ONE year. Which would win up costing the Bears a grand total of 4.5 mil in dead cap if they choose to cut him loose.

If you hate Trubisky at #2 overall, fine. A lot of Bears fans do too. However, to say that they paid Glennon anything resembling a lot of money... is just dishonest. I believe it's valued at like 25th in the NFL among QB's.

How many people hated the Glennon move? Bottom line, we had no QB on the roster. I just hope Shaw beats out Sanchez for the third QB. The only thing I did not like was Pace declaring there is no quarterback competition because that pretty much says the best you have is not playing, the guy you are paying is. Dont get me wrong, I dont want Trubisky to start game 1, but I still want some resemblance of competition because thats going to make Mitch more prepared when Glennon goes down.