• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on reseeding after the WC games?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we could have the Yankees move into the National League so as to make it more likely they meet the Red Sox in the W.S.

To answer your question, you assert that it's rare. If it's rare, why get your undies in a knot? There have been times when a team with 83 wins took the W.S. Shit happens.

Or we could just have a Yankees-Red Sox rule just this one time because ... well, it would be better for baseball.

If you assert that the Astros aren't as good as the Yankees ... based on what legitimate criteria? That they only played the Orioles 6 or 7 times?

Astros are a better team than both Yankees and Red Sox.

I’d rather the Indians play the Red Sox instead of the Astros because Price sucks in the playoffs and Sale is broken and owned by the Tribe, but you shouldn’t reseed after WC.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not asserting anything. Point is the best team in a league shouldn't have to face a tougher opponent (based on record) than the 2nd seed.

There is no reason why the Red Sox should not be playing the Indians.....Instead they get to face a better team who finished with 9 more wins than the Indians while playing in a better division

I’m not convinced the Yankees are a better team.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd reseed, and it's not a Yankee thing cause I think the Tribe and Houston are just as tough as playing the Red Sox

I think it's simply a sure fire way to create appropriate matchups

The Indians played in a division that they clinched in May, and still didn't win the most games in the league. I do have an issue that they don't face the best team in the league in Round one

It's the Indians this season, could be the Yankees next, I'm not singling them out

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has that ever happened before?

I don't think under the new system. Have to check under the previous format if it did...Have to think it did as they would having division matchups in the LDS

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd reseed, and it's not a Yankee thing cause I think the Tribe and Houston are just as tough as playing the Red Sox

The Indians played in a division that they clinched in May, and still didn't win the most games in the league. I do have an issue that they don't face the best team in the league in Round one

It's the Indians this season, could be the Yankees next, I'm not singling them out

Yeah it's just the right thing to do IMO. I'm always up for reseed. I even think a league like the NBA should reseed after round 1 as well. Obviously in baseball they don't have that issue as there are only 4 teams left after LDS

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not convinced the Yankees are a better team.

Understandable but doesn't change my opinion that the matchups in the LDS should go strictly by record.

1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

The only little rule I would have in place as a minor punishment for the WC winning team is even they finished with a better record than a division winner, they still won't get HFA

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. OP appears to want the Yankees to have an "easier" path to the W.S.
I recommend they beat the Red Sox and see if the easier team comes next.
They don't reseed when UM Baltimore beats Virginia. UMBC didn't suddenly become a No. 1 seed. They just played the team that was next.

These things rarely happen so there is not a need to revisit the format just to appease one fan base.
I think whoever plays the Indians is going to be in for a dull surprise ... they won't be facing a cobbled up bullpen staff like the Athletics threw out there. Season records don't matter much in a short best-of series.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't MLB's job to create appropriate matchups. It isn't even their job to make sure all 30 teams are competitive. If that was the case, the World Series format would have been modified in 1905 to make sure the best two teams played for the trophy, not the winner from each league.
Which, as far as I can tell, is still happening.
Not one single NL team won 100 games. I don't think they should be in the "final four" of anything.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP appears to want the Yankees to have an "easier" path to the W.S.

Easier path how? By playing the Stros in a short series

This doesn't have anything to do with the Yankees or any WC team. It is more about actually rewarding the team who finished the top record after the grind of a 162 game season.

I think most Yankees fans will tell you they would rather play the Sox in a best of 5 than Houston.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things rarely happen so there is not a need to revisit the format just to appease one fan base.

Wildcard teams finishing with a better record than one of the 3 division winners rarely happen? It happened 5 times since the 2015 season

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2015, the NL Central BY FAR had the 3 best teams but yet the Cards got penalized for winning the division and being the best team in baseball and had to play the 2nd BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

If you think that is fair then you're just stupid

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose if you want to drive TV ad revenue and ratings, you could do that. I think a do-over between the Rockies and Cubs would be preferable to make sure the right team wins.
The "right" team won. As usual Madden overthought in-game strategy and the Cubs have been gay underachievers all season

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easier path how? By playing the Stros in a short series

This doesn't have anything to do with the Yankees or any WC team. It is more about actually rewarding the team who finished the top record after the grind of a 162 game season.

I think most Yankees fans will tell you they would rather play the Sox in a best of 5 than Houston.
It still is a waste of energy and too confusing to teams that rely heavily on metrics now to set their post-season rosters. This isn't like deciding to go to either Wal-Mart or Target. It doesn't happen often enough to even entertain a change in the rules.
You are still looking for an easier way to get the Yankees into the W.S. by presuming that season records are proof that one team is better. That might be true over 162, if you ignore all the variables. You suggested yourself that the Yanks would have 105 wins if Judge had played all season.
This format isn't broken.
For the record, I don't care if they re-seed but just to do it because it affects the Yankees and Red Sox ... the rest of the fan bases aren't all that concerned about this.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2015, the NL Central BY FAR had the 3 best teams but yet the Cards got penalized for winning the division and being the best team in baseball and had to play the 2nd BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

If you think that is fair then you're just stupid
tenor.gif

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "right" team won. As usual Madden overthought in-game strategy and the Cubs have been gay underachievers all season
This 5 or 6 feet off the point that I was trying to make. If you want to bash Maddon, feel free ... but this is about seeding of the post-season. Start at the beginning please.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This 5 or 6 feet off the point that I was trying to make. If you want to bash Maddon, feel free ... but this is about seeding of the post-season. Start at the beginning please.
Hey hey...no need to stop acting like lady. We can recenter this point right quick