• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on reseeding after the WC games?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you win games?

Agree, but this whole run differential can be misleading

In a 3 game series Team A wins the first game 10-1, but loses the next two games 2-1 to Team B
Team A has a run differential of +7 but Team B is up 2 games to 1

So what is better?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but this whole run differential can be misleading

In a 3 game series Team A wins the first game 10-1, but loses the next two games 2-1 to Team B
Team A has a run differential of +7 but Team B is up 2 games to 1

So what is better?

No doubt. I've never suggested run diff is the be all-end all. It's one of multiple factors that I consider when I'm trying to decide what teams I think are better than others.

There are always anomalies like what you've detailed, but there is a real correlation between run diff and record.

Years ago, before I had kids and therefore had much more time for such endeavors, I took a look at five or so years worth of final records and compared them to the teams' pythag records. I was shocked at how accurate they were. Not dead nuts on, obviously, but almost all of them were within 3%.

It's also worth noting that in your example, you're looking at a three game sample. I'm talking about 162 game samples.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. I've never suggested run diff is the be all-end all. It's one of multiple factors that I consider when I'm trying to decide what teams I think are better than others.

There are always anomalies like what you've detailed, but there is a real correlation between run diff and record.

Years ago, before I had kids and therefore had much more time for such endeavors, I took a look at five or so years worth of final records and compared them to the teams' pythag records. I was shocked at how accurate they were. Not dead nuts on, obviously, but almost all of them were within 3%.

It's also worth noting that in your example, you're looking at a three game sample. I'm talking about 162 game samples.

Agreed. I don't doubt that the Brewers have a huge run differential over their opponents but am glad they came out on top regardless of the reason(s) :suds:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I don't doubt that the Brewers have a huge run differential over their opponents but am glad they came out on top regardless of the reason(s) :suds:

Word.

I'd trade my middle testicle for a World Series Champion Indians team with a negative run diff.

I wish your boys luck the rest of the way. Well, except for Braun. I hope he gets diarrhea.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dougplayer and I had some VERY stupid conversations on the AL Central board. But we NEVER sunk so low as to debate "run differential". We had to draw the line somewhere.

Probably because you two were too stupid to grasp such a simple concept.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because you two were too stupid to grasp such a simple concept.

doug and I left the understanding and discussion of run differential to those with smaller peckers....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the A's and Indians were better than the Brewers, too.

That may be so but as Giants fans know, the 'best team' doesn't always get the ring...especially in 2010 and 2014.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be so but as Giants fans know, the 'best team' doesn't always get the ring...especially in 2010 and 2014.

No shit?!

It’s nice to see a Giants fan acknowledging that fact.

I don’t remember which year it was, but one of them a case could be made that the Giants were the worst team to make the playoffs.

Doesn’t mean shit though, in regards to championships.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit?!

I don’t remember which year it was, but one of them a case could be made that the Giants were the worst team to make the playoffs.

2006 Cards at 83-78 won it all:suds:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit?!

Yep. Rings trump all else. I believe you are referring to 2014, where they only won 88 games. But Bumgarner literally won it all by himself.

Giants were underdogs in every single series and playin game for all 3 championship runs. But still, they won em all.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Rings trump all else. I believe you are referring to 2014, where they only won 88 games. But Bumgarner literally won it all by himself.

Giants were underdogs in every single series and playin game for all 3 championship runs. But still, they won em all.

Meanwhile, I've personally watched my Indians lose -- in extra innings -- Game 7 of the World Series. TWICE.

I like you, Monosodium Glutamate Kings, but right now my jealousy makes me feel like telling you to go fuck yourself. So, I guess, go fuck yourself.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, I've personally watched my Indians lose -- in extra innings -- Game 7 of the World Series. TWICE.

I like you, Monosodium Glutamate Kings, but right now my jealousy makes me feel like telling you to go fuck yourself. So, I guess, go fuck yourself.
Could be worse, could be a 2001 Mariners fan. How did being the best team work out for them?

Cleveland used to be by far the most cursed sports town, but then the Cavs won one. And the Browns might actually finally be figuring it out. Indians deserve a title.

Last edited:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so back to the point, why again did we want to reseed after the wild-card game?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had their chance and couldn't get it done...they also had a 2nd chance against the Rockies and couldn't get that done either...so you're probably wrong... The games don't get played on the field, not in somebody's mind.
The cubs b
They had their chance and couldn't get it done...they also had a 2nd chance against the Rockies and couldn't get that done either...so you're probably wrong... The games don't get played on the field, not in somebody's mind.
the cubs beat the brewers in a majority of NINETEEN games on the field this year, not in someone’s mind.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cubs b

the cubs beat the brewers in a majority of NINETEEN games on the field this year, not in someone’s mind.
They didn't get it done when all the chips were in the middle of the table... sorry, but that is the fact