• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to Mikes assertion that if a player isn't great by four games then was a shitty pick. Milliner wasn't good after four games.

But that doesn't matter. Only Lions draft picks have to pan out by Early August of their rookie year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that doesn't matter. Only Lions draft picks have to pan out by Early August of their rookie year.

Early August? Shit, Warford was a bust last year before the season even started because he didn't start the first pre-season game...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early August? Shit, Warford was a bust last year before the season even started because he didn't start the first pre-season game...

I wish he would've started. I really didn't want him to bust.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Ebron caught a pass at least.

I admit I'd trade him for Millner pretty quickly. The relative value of the two positions says it's worth a risk even if Millner is a 75% likelihood to bust as a #1CB.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Gandy. I respect your opinion, but that is a stretch. Unless we had the team's game tapes -- we would have no idea how often Ebron was or wasn't open. The only thing we have to go by is how often the ball is thrown his way. That is why I said -- if Ebron was getting open all the time -- the coaches would be calling his number much more often.
It also depends on the progressions that Stafford reads, that are defined by the set that the defense is playing on that particular play. Now betting that CJ is read #1 mostly and at worst 2 on almost every play and Bush as the safety valve that tends to leave the TE as a forgotten man. And as for drafting Ebron that early I was not a fan of the pick but in the greater scheme of things how long can the Lions afford CJ (like Suh) the amount of money to secure one player (albiet a great one) at the expense of depth (see Suh contract) that having said albatross contracts causes The misfortune of the Lions, finally hitting on a couple early picks to be screwed by the fact that they hit on them before the rookie scale came into effect must irk Lions fans

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also depends on the progressions that Stafford reads, that are defined by the set that the defense is playing on that particular play. Now betting that CJ is read #1 mostly and at worst 2 on almost every play and Bush as the safety valve that tends to leave the TE as a forgotten man. And as for drafting Ebron that early I was not a fan of the pick but in the greater scheme of things how long can the Lions afford CJ (like Suh) the amount of money to secure one player (albiet a great one) at the expense of depth (see Suh contract) that having said albatross contracts causes The misfortune of the Lions, finally hitting on a couple early picks to be screwed by the fact that they hit on them before the rookie scale came into effect must irk Lions fans

This is what I was saying a page or two back.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as for drafting Ebron that early I was not a fan of the pick but in the greater scheme of things how long can the Lions afford CJ (like Suh) the amount of money to secure one player (albiet a great one) at the expense of depth (see Suh contract) that having said albatross contracts causes

Yeah but you have to pay great players. Look at NE this year. Trying to nickle and dime their players for years and just replacing them with rookies. That team looks shaky at best with the only leadership coming in the form of Brady or Belicheat. They used to have Brusci, Seau and other great leaders but they never want to pay anyone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also depends on the progressions that Stafford reads, that are defined by the set that the defense is playing on that particular play. Now BETTING that CJ is read #1 mostly and at worst 2 on almost every play and Bush as the safety valve that tends to leave the TE as a forgotten man.

Someone who gets it. I've been saying that all along. On a team with a definitive #1 in Megatron, paid big money for a complement at #2 in Golden Tate, to go along with 2 RB's that catch the ball often -- Ebron will be option #4 in the offense when is on the field, which right now, he is our 3rd TE.

That reason alone is why I thought the pick was wasted. Tate is signed for 5 years, Pettigrew signed for 4 years. Calvin is signed for 5 more years, I believe.

I actually think on another team -- Ebron could be very good. I think he will have moments on the Lions, but he won't be utilized how he would be on a team where he is so far down the pecking order.

And as for drafting Ebron that early I was not a fan of the pick but in the greater scheme of things how long can the Lions afford CJ (like Suh) the amount of money to secure one player (albiet a great one) at the expense of depth (see Suh contract) that having said albatross contracts causes The misfortune of the Lions, finally hitting on a couple early picks to be screwed by the fact that they hit on them before the rookie scale came into effect must irk Lions fan

Yes -- it is extremely frustrating. If we drafted Suh one year later -- his contract for the duration would have been less than what he was paid just last year. We made Suh the highest paid DT in the NFL before he even played a down.

As far as Calvin -- he won't go anywhere as long as he produces like he has. Teams double him all game and he continues to put up monster numbers. Unfortunately for the Lions -- the albatross contract we will lose is most likely going to be Suh (he had a 22 million dollar cap hit this year LOL). Rumor is -- he is wanting to play in NY and with Detroit cutting off contract talks -- it seems as though the front office doesn't want to meet what he is asking for.

I really don't want to lose Suh, but if he wants to be paid like Watt -- it isn't worth it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still talking about Ebron hunh? I can't believe you guys actually think Calvin is the number one read on every single play and then it progresses right down to Tate automatically. This line of thinking would insinuate that every play is called for Calvin when the truth is there are specific reads on specific plays and it doesnt always start with your number one WR. Its about finding favorable matchups also.

I also cant believe why its so hard to understand the reason Ebron can impact a game without actually having to catch a million passes. The more weapons you have, the harder you are to defend. Even if Ebron is the fourth "option" or whatever, thats ten times better than other teams fourth option and a problem for a defense. This Ebron stuff is just old.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMeIamRight said:
-- Ebron will be option #4 in the offense when is on the field, which right now, he is our 3rd TE.

NOPE. Not At All. Right Now at this moment, he's our #2 TE as Fauria is injured.

Do you recall when Broyles was drafted and how slowly he was brought along into the scheme of things. Yes, he was coming off a late injury while in college but he was good to go during 2012 pre-season. We already had CJ, Burly, Titus. It was game #7, in 2012, where he got his 1st reception ( 3 rec for 51 yds) and it was game #12 where he had his best day to date ( 6 rec for 126 yds).

We may very well see the same thing from Ebron. If CJ is still nicked up and can't go for some reason, I would expect to see Tate, Ebron and either Broyles or Fuller as the 3 wr's. JMO

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we don't have to hear "they should've drafted Fuller" right now as Rodgers tore them guys up

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still talking about Ebron hunh? I can't believe you guys actually think Calvin is the number one read on every single play and then it progresses right down to Tate automatically. This line of thinking would insinuate that every play is called for Calvin when the truth is there are specific reads on specific plays and it doesnt always start with your number one WR. Its about finding favorable matchups also.

I also cant believe why its so hard to understand the reason Ebron can impact a game without actually having to catch a million passes. The more weapons you have, the harder you are to defend. Even if Ebron is the fourth "option" or whatever, thats ten times better than other teams fourth option and a problem for a defense. This Ebron stuff is just old.

Ebron can impact a game as a TE without catching a pass. Unfortunately though -- blocking isn't what he was drafted to do.

Any player running a pattern for the Lions can draw the same coverage Ebron is drawing. He isn't being doubled. He is being covered by a LB or a Safety. You continue to talk about Ebron as if he is drawing special coverage.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOPE. Not At All. Right Now at this moment, he's our #2 TE as Fauria is injured.

Do you recall when Broyles was drafted and how slowly he was brought along into the scheme of things. Yes, he was coming off a late injury while in college but he was good to go during 2012 pre-season. We already had CJ, Burly, Titus. It was game #7, in 2012, where he got his 1st reception ( 3 rec for 51 yds) and it was game #12 where he had his best day to date ( 6 rec for 126 yds).

We may very well see the same thing from Ebron. If CJ is still nicked up and can't go for some reason, I would expect to see Tate, Ebron and either Broyles or Fuller as the 3 wr's. JMO

Yeah and Garrett Reynolds is our #1 RT. Tahir Whitehead is our #1 MLB. Ashlee Palmer is our #2 OLB.

I've also said -- Ebron will probably have a game or two where he puts up good numbers this year, just like Jared Cook does once or twice a year for the Rams. Is that what you expect to get out of a top 10 pick?

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron can impact a game as a TE without catching a pass. Unfortunately though -- blocking isn't what he was drafted to do.

Any player running a pattern for the Lions can draw the same coverage Ebron is drawing. He isn't being doubled. He is being covered by a LB or a Safety. You continue to talk about Ebron as if he is drawing special coverage.

Not true. Ebron is being covered differently depends ng situation. Against the Jets he was covered by a corner more than a LB, and on the Ryan Broyles catch the safety was cleared because Ebron beat the corner on a deep route and the safety had to help.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bawling:
Yeah and Garrett Reynolds is our #1 RT. Tahir Whitehead is our #1 MLB. Ashlee Palmer is our #2 OLB.

I've also said -- Ebron will probably have a game or two where he puts up good numbers this year, just like Jared Cook does once or twice a year for the Rams. Is that what you expect to get out of a top 10 pick?

its just so......so sad. So sad. :hurt: This guy is 4 games into his career and still hasnt made a single pro bowl, isnt drawing special coverage and isnt even top 10 all time in receiving. This is worse than the Russell and Leaf picks combined. It amazes me he hasnt been cut yet.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone tell me how to upload a pic to my message?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right next to "Post Quick Reply" there is a "Go Advanced" button. Click that, then click the little paper clip icon that will be in the icon bar just above the the message area. Then you can upload existing saved picks or link from the Internet.

I have no idea how to resize photos though.