• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horse-whip-CU.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason -- I don't think I ever responded to anything said by you. I am talking with twocents and lionstop. Feel free to close the thread and never open it again. Problem solved AGAIN. and you are welcome AGAIN. I guess I have to repeat myself to get you to understand the easy solution.:suds:

I couldn't give two shits if u responded to me. That's how message boards work. I respond when I choose to.

The easier solution would be to just give up your bitch fest with Ebron. He was the pick at 10, hes on our team, he might be a slow starter, etc. You bitching about him CONSTANTLY changes nothing. One would think it would be easier to simply root for a player that has a ton of upside but hasn't quite shown what he is capable of, unlike vets in the league that have shown what they're capable of. Oh but wait, he wasn't who YOU wanted so you'll continue to cry about it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't get behind your thought process on this one. It is pretty cool debating with Ebron's dad though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Ebron is used as more than just an afterthought -- Teams aren't going to game plan to stop him. He has had 12 balls thrown his way thru 4 games.

What I think you are missing is -- I am NOT saying Ebron isn't talented. I think he is. I think on another team, he could put up good numbers. On a team with established talent already in place, including the best WR in the game, to go along with Tate, Bush, Bell, a red zone TE and a complete TE, who has proven he can be the dump off guy for Stafford on short routes. That leaves Ebron without getting many looks, which has been the case the 1st 4 games.

All the guys I mentioned will be on the Lions next year. All of them will be on the Lions the year after that, though I can't confirm Fauria. That is why I said we basically drafted Ebron 10th overall to run vertical routes.

Is he a good safety net to have if Calvin is injured? Yes. Is Calvin injured often? 6 games in 8 years is telling me he isn't. Was it necessary to spend a top 10 pick on a player like Ebron? To me -- absolutely not. You get to pick that high so you can get one of the 10 best college players and they can have an immediate impact.

You keep saying he has impacted games, but it is our defense that has been winning games for us and I am very proud to say that. It is also our defense that has been hurt with the injury bug at multiple positions, that were already thin to begin with.

I guess I just have a diffrent opinion on what impacting a game is, I suppose. I could see if teams were doubling Ebron and rolling coverage his way to take him out of games -- I would say, yeah, he has been making an impact. Teams have single covered him all year, so him running a route is no different than Corey Fuller or anyone else on the Lions. Until Ebron proves he can consistently get open and make plays -- teams aren't going to change how they defend him.

I do think he can make a big impact going forward, but I think it will take an injury to Tate or Calvin Johnson, as they are going to be the two guys who get the majority of the balls throw their way.

No point in reading past right there. You clearly don't understand what goes into a defensive game plan. Of course teams will game plan to stop Ebron. And Reggie Bush, and Golden Tate. They'll even game plan for Corey Fuller since he's developing as a deep threat. They especially game plan for, and even design special schemes against, Calvin Johnson.

You come across as thinking that opposing teams are only game-planning for our best weapon, rather than all of our weapons. Think what you want, but your version is not how it works. LionsTop has patiently and clearly discussed what he means by Ebron effecting other team's game-plans and preparation, and you're basically just acting like a five year old repeating the same thing over and over, without actually addressing anything the rest of us are saying.

We get it, you hate (HATE!!!!) the Ebron selection. We're starting to hate the fact that you need to try to hijack every thread to talk about how bad of a pick you think it was. What, exactly, do you hope to accomplish by this? Should we all make threads lauding you for hating the pick? Do we need to stroke your ego and tell you how great and how smart you are to get you to stop? Honestly man, what do we need to do so that you're satisfied that we all understand just how much you hate that pick?

'Cause this shit is getting really old. The draft was in May. It's October now... time to buck up and quit crying that the draft didn't go your way, hey?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Im not sure why he thinks teams simply ignore other players on the offense outside of our star players. To not be aware of who's on the field and not plan to stop them would be completely rediculous.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thin, TrustMe, you are saying it was a wasted pick, basically insinuating the Lions should've been in full blown panic mode over the defense and reached for picks. That's simply not how it works, and especially when the defense was not as bad as some people have exaggerated. An understated problem, however, was a lack of receiving threats we had. And not a #2 WR off-season signing should be expected to be a 'cure all'. Nor should re-signing a good blocking TE, who could be made to look better than he is by bringing up his high reception totals from seasons ago.

We would not have resigned Pettigrew if they knew they were going to draft Ebron, I garauntee you that, but that doesn't mean you stray from BPA for reaches at different positions.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some might say a one dimensional TE is a reach at 10.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easier solution would be to just give up your bitch fest with Ebron. He was the pick at 10, hes on our team, he might be a slow starter, etc. You bitching about him CONSTANTLY changes nothing. One would think it would be easier to simply root for a player that has a ton of upside but hasn't quite shown what he is capable of, unlike vets in the league that have shown what they're capable of. Oh but wait, he wasn't who YOU wanted so you'll CONTINUE to cry about it.

Simple solution -- DON'T OPEN A THREAD ABOUT ERIC EBRON IF YOU DON"T WANT TO READ A DISCUSSION ABOUT.............what for it.....................................ERIC EBRON.

I'm sorry but I can't spell it out for you any clearer.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No point in reading past right there. You clearly don't understand what goes into a defensive game plan. Of course teams will game plan to stop Ebron. And Reggie Bush, and Golden Tate. They'll even game plan for Corey Fuller since he's developing as a deep threat. They especially game plan for, and even design special schemes against, CALVIN JOHNSON.

You come across as thinking that opposing teams are only game-planning for our best weapon, rather than all of our weapons. Think what you want, but your version is not how it works. LionsTop has patiently and clearly discussed what he means by Ebron effecting other team's game-plans and preparation, and you're basically just acting like a five year old repeating the same thing over and over, without actually addressing anything the rest of us are saying.

TP -- I think we are differing on what it means to game plan for a certain player. I'm not saying a team is ignoring Ebron -- I'm saying they aren't drawing up a different scheme than they usually run to stop him. Teams game plan to stop Jimmy Graham. If you watched the Monday Night Game -- you saw Gronkowski was doubled quite often -- that is game planning to stop a player. Whoever we play usually game plans to limit Calvin Johnson.

Right now -- Eric Ebron is seeing a base coverage that teams use for every tight end, with the exception of a select few I mentioned earlier. If we use two TE's -- it seems like a safety is covering him. If we use 4 wide -- it seems a LB is covering him. I'm sure teams will switch it up based on which guys are better in coverage, but that is the gist. To me -- that isn't game planning. That is running your defensive scheme.

Game planning to me is doing something outside your scheme to stop a player. So I think that is where we are getting confused with each other's comments. Obviously any player is going to be talked about in the week leading up to the game. On a team with Calvin Johnson though -- very few Lions will have game plans put in place to stop them, outside of CJ.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thin, TrustMe, you are saying it was a wasted pick, basically insinuating the Lions should've been in full blown panic mode over the defense and reached for picks. That's simply not how it works, and especially when the defense was not as bad as some people have exaggerated. An understated problem, however, was a lack of receiving threats we had. And not a #2 WR off-season SIGNING should be expected to be a 'cure all'. Nor should re-signing a good blocking TE, who could be made to look better than he is by bringing up his high reception totals from seasons ago.

We would not have resigned Pettigrew if they knew they were going to draft Ebron, I garauntee you that, but that doesn't mean you stray from BPA for reaches at different positions.

I've said nothing about panic mode. And I said nothing about reaching for anyone. You can only reach for a player based on your own draft board, not where they were drafted by others.

Everyone knows why I hated the pick and thru 4 games -- it is what we are seeing happen. I said there was only so many balls to go around and Ebron, while he could be a great player, will get limited opportunities on Detroit.

If Calvin wasn't signed for 5 years or Tate wasn't signed for 5 years -- Or if Ebron was a great blocking TE, as well as receiving TE -- I couldn't understand the pick and get on board.

IMO -- when you are basically two predetermined guys who will eat up the majority of the looks from your QB and are paid handsomely to do so, you don't spend a top 10 pick on a TE or WR -- that is something Matt Millen attempted to do. If Detroit didn't think Tate would be the perfect complement to CJ -- they wouldn't have given him a contract making him one of the top 20 paid WR's.

This is why I asked the question a while ago, what expectations people had for Ebron and what they felt would be a successful year for him in 2014 and going forward?

As far as the Pettigrew comment -- he is what he is -- an extension of the running game basically. He is the dump off for Stafford when everything else is covered. His issues have been holding onto the ball and they lost some confidence in him, but he still had 100 catches over the last two years, despite missing 4 games and he is the best blocking TE on the team. Once Bush and Bell were added -- they become the safety valve that Pettigrew was in the couple years he put up a lot of catches. When you add in Fauria and now Ebron -- you have a crowded TE position, so Pettigrew won't be seeing much of anything thrown his way I'm guessing. Though I think I saw him make a grab last game.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution -- DON'T OPEN A THREAD ABOUT ERIC EBRON IF YOU DON"T WANT TO READ A DISCUSSION ABOUT.............what for it.....................................ERIC EBRON.

I'm sorry but I can't spell it out for you any clearer.

If we ignored your post about EBron there would not be many other posts to comment on from you.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we ignored your post about EBron there would not be many other posts to comment on from you.

I'll be fine if you don't want to respond to my posts.