• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does not suck, just one more season and he will be awesome. Stafford has been on a different grading scale for not maturing (suckiness) more than any other draft pick

stafford gets a pass because you always feel he is real deal. Ebron was a bad pick and will not get 4 years to produce.

You are comparing a TE to a QB. For sucking, stafford is doing just fine putting up yards every year and hes only 26 He can definitely do better, everyone can agree on that. He has also been the best qb the lions have ever had and hes still a kid. He may never be peyton manning (not many people are). So you keep rooting for their third string TE, Ill stick to the franchise qb.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about Tate, right? I wasn't over excited for that signing, either. Tate's the type of guy that if he's your best WR, then your WR corps is pretty shitty, but if he's your worst, than you're in good shape. So as our 2, soon to be 3 when Ebron breaks out, he's not horrible.

And I understand the "had to overpay" thought because our WR's after Megatron sucked. But why not get a guy like Decker for $1 mil more, who skill level is about even with Tate, but he fits better with Stafford(taller), and is better on the outside, when we already have like 3 slot guys, plus a return guy already?

Again, I don't hate Tate, but I definitely see the logic of it not being a good signing.

Oh thank god the lions have a number one wideout then. Nobody was expecting that when the lions signed him he would be their number one. They signed him to be their number two. He doesnt drop passes (lions were awful at that last year), he runs great routes and hes a fucking number two receiver (ya know what we were missing last year). But you see the logic in drafting a TE who cant block with our tenth pick.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are comparing a TE to a QB. For sucking, stafford is doing just fine putting up yards every year and hes only 25. He can definitely do better, everyone can agree on that. He has also been the best qb the lions have ever had and hes still a kid. He may never be peyton manning (not many people are). So you keep rooting for their third string TE, Ill stick to the franchise qb.

For the record it doesn't have to be either or. You can root for both.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are comparing a TE to a QB. For sucking, stafford is doing just fine putting up yards every year and hes only 26 He can definitely do better, everyone can agree on that. He has also been the best qb the lions have ever had and hes still a kid. He may never be peyton manning (not many people are). So you keep rooting for their third string TE, Ill stick to the franchise qb.

I am comparing aQB to all others that get judged. Stafford gets protected.

What numbers he also puts up are turnovers, costly ones! Why is it Bell and Bush are okay to bash on fumbles and Staff is exempt from scrutiny. Not really concerned about what Ebron is doing this year. Just not sure why others are?

I think you are either misunderstanding me, which my non writing ass surely happens.

LP had great post on Matt my thoughts exactly. I just have issues putting thought to paper.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thank god the lions have a number one wideout then. Nobody was expecting that when the lions signed him he would be their number one. They signed him to be their number two. He doesnt drop passes (lions were awful at that last year), he runs great routes and hes a fucking number two receiver (ya know what we were missing last year). But you see the logic in drafting a TE who cant block with our tenth pick.

Lol. I clearly said he was fine as a 2 or 3. More suited as a 3 to play in the slot, and maybe return some punts. Idk how you think he was such a great signing at $30 mil for 5 years. You act like he's Wes Welker. He's not. Is he an upgrade? Yea, no shit, Durham sucks. Doesn't make it a better value.

Who did you want at 10 that would be so much better? Lewan? Lmao. Dennard? Don't say Fuller. Not many people were clamoring for him, and now people think he's an All Pro because he made 2 easy picks and 1 nice one. I remember Jenkins from the Cowboys had like 3 picks in his first 2 games and was a bust shortly after. But, hey, nowadays I guess you can put people in the HOF after 3 games. Or label them a wasted pick. Smh

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to see you two posting back to back. Reminds me of the old days.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Karl Sweetan was QB in the old days.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate is on pace for a 1,000 yard season already, something we haven't had out of our #2 WR for a long time now.

Also, getting worked up about him having a drop (as in one, singular, uno) is pretty silly, imo. His career drop percentage is great, but if anyone was under the impression that he never has/had any drops, then there's the problem right there.

It surprises me how much people will let a personal bias of what they think about a player over-ride what that player brings on the field. Once a mind is made up that they don't like a guy anything said player does well is chalked up to playing in a good offense, or other defenders freeing him up, etc... and anything that player does poorly is magnified by 1,000.

I could give a shit less what kind of dude Tate is as long as he stays out of trouble off the field and produces on it. I've never met the guy (I suspect none of us has), so I'm not going to get involved in the TMZ-era nonsense and just worry about how good of a teammate and football player he is. So far he's excelling on both accounts, by all accounts.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To prove it, while I was typing that last post about Karl Sweetan, I somehow got garlic butter on my keyboard.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate is on pace for a 1,000 yard season already, something we haven't had out of our #2 WR for a long time now.

Also on pace for 0 Touchdowns, also something we haven't had from a #2 WR in awhile. Just saying!

Again, No bias, Tate is not a horrible player. Just our absence of a #2 last year has fans over hyping his signing. But like I said, I understand we had to overpay because we were desperate for another WR.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, hey, nowadays I guess you can put people in the HOF after 3 games. Or label them a wasted pick. Smh

It was labeled as a wasted pick by me, as they already have a #1 and #2 WR signed for multiple years, a blocking TE they re-signed in the off season (who has also had 80 and 70 catch seasons) and an UDFA who had 7 touchdowns as a rookie.

With so many weapons on offense as it is -- adding another one is nice, but as long as everyone is healthy -- his opportunities will be limited. Hopefully we get to see his potential if Fauria is out.

I think Ebron has the tools to be really good, but when you are the 4th or 5th option on the offense -- it is hard to prove people wrong. Unfortunately for Ebron -- he will continue to be that, as he isn't going to get more looks than Calvin and Tate, as well as the RBs. If we lacked red zone targets -- I could see him being used alot there, but with 6'7" Fauria and 6'5" Calvin -- he once again will be a 3rd or 4th option if he is in the game.

I will be rooting for the Lions to utilize his talents in this next game. The Jets have struggled against TE's and Ebron should be able to get more looks as he will pick up the snaps Fauria would have played. I'd love to see him prove that he should be on the field more and give the team another weapon.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was labeled as a wasted pick by me, as they already have a #1 and #2 WR signed for multiple years, a blocking TE they re-signed in the off season (who has also had 80 and 70 catch seasons) and an UDFA who had 7 touchdowns as a rookie.

With so many weapons on offense as it is -- adding another one is nice, but as long as everyone is healthy -- his opportunities will be limited. Hopefully we get to see his potential if Fauria is out.

I think Ebron has the tools to be really good, but when you are the 4th or 5th option on the offense -- it is hard to prove people wrong. Unfortunately for Ebron -- he will continue to be that, as he isn't going to get more looks than Calvin and Tate, as well as the RBs. If we lacked red zone targets -- I could see him being used alot there, but with 6'7" Fauria and 6'5" Calvin -- he once again will be a 3rd or 4th option if he is in the game.

See, the problem with this logic is now you're drafting by process of elimination. Well then. We had Quinn, Ihedigbo just signed, our Dline always looks good with Suh, had Levy and Tulloch setvin stone, Oline looked dam good last year, and had Bush and Bell. So we should've only been able to draft a LB or DB, right? Now you are talking about being happy with reaches.

Would you rather take a player you are not sure of, at a position of need, or a player you are pretty sure of at another position?(I won't even argue the competence level of Fauria and Pettigrew though you make it seem we were perfectly fine at TE). I'll assume your answer to the question is to take the player you are more sure of? If so, please consider its not like the Lions were "just ok" with taking Ebron. For gods sake they could of won gold in Olympic baton racing the way they raced their selection card up. Don't think they for one second were on the fence about that pick.

There is no prize for fastest selection, so that means one of 2 things(or both) happened: 1 they were ecstatic Ebron was available. 2 they weren't even close to sold on any other prospect.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, the problem with this logic is now you're drafting by process of elimination. Well then. We had Quinn, Ihedigbo just signed, our Dline always looks good with Suh, had Levy and Tulloch setvin stone, Oline looked dam good last year, and had Bush and Bell. So we should've only been able to draft a LB or DB, right? Now you are talking about being happy with reaches.

Would you rather take a player you are not sure of, at a position of need, or a player you are pretty sure of at another position?(I won't even argue the competence level of Fauria and Pettigrew though you make it seem we were perfectly fine at TE). I'll assume your answer to the question is to take the player you are more sure of? If so, please consider its not like the Lions were "just ok" with taking Ebron. For gods sake they could of won gold in Olympic baton racing the way they raced their selection card up. Don't think they for one second were on the fence about that pick.

There is no prize for fastest selection, so that means one of 2 things(ector both) happened: 1 they were ecstatic Ebron was available. 2 they weren't even close to sold on any other prosp.

If the Lions could prove they were good at drafting I don't think the Ebron pick would be a big deal. The Lions havn't proved they know talent and therefore lot's of skepticism is warranted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no prize for fastest selection, so that means one of 2 things(or both) happened: 1 they were ecstatic Ebron was available. 2 they weren't even close to sold on any other prospect.

Do I think the Lions should reach for a player in the 1st round to fill a position of need? No. Do I think the Lions should have spent a top 10 pick on a one dimensional TE? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Here is my thinking -- and most on here know this already. Detroit already has Calvin Johnson. Is Ebron ever going to be the #1 option for the offense while Calvin Johnson is on the team? No chance. We went out and paid top dollar for a #2 WR to complement CJ in Golden Tate. You now have a top 5 pairing at WR, who will eat up the majority of the looks every game.

At the TE position, we re-sign a TE in Pettigrew, who is a complete TE. I personally don't like the guy, but he does the job he is asked to do. He is the best blocking TE on the team and has proven he can be a competent receiving TE on short routes, as he has had 80 and 70 catch seasons. In the red zone -- they already had an UDFA who was a TD machine as a rookie. At 6'7" -- he is a much bigger target and has much better hands than Ebron.

This doesn't include not one, but two RBs, who last year because the 1st RB duo to have over 500 yards receiving a piece.

Ebron's niche for the offense -- running vertical routes. I'm sorry -- IMO, you don't spend a pick as valuable as 10th overall for a player who had questionable hands coming out of college and his opportunities will be few and far between.

I think Ebron could bring value to the team, but he won't be used nearly enough to warrant the draft pick spent on him and the guys taking those opportunities from him are all signed for multiple years.

That is why I said -- this week is huge for Ebron. With Fauria not playing (last I heard he wasn't), Ebron will get the opportunities in the passing game that went to Fauria.