• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that you're INDEED missing that.

The Giants weren't FORCED to single cover Calvin Johnson -- they CHOSE to play single coverage. This is why we saw safeties coming up on running plays and different blitz packages. I also think it is a big reason why the Lions only had 15 carries for 15 yards at one point.

They felt DRC and Amakumura could play man on Calvin and Golden Tate. They were obviously very wrong.

I asked lionstop to tell me the formation where teams are FORCED to single cover Calvin Johnson. Since you seem to know the formation -- please tell me what it is, so I can forward it on to the Lions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants sure seemed like they thought they were forced to single cover CJ. We didn't need a particular offensive set to do that, just the vastly upgraded personnel we have this season. This is what I mean about you taking everyone's statement to the extreme all the time. We're one game in and we already have a great example of what Lionstop is saying, no crazy, magical offensive set necessary. Stop taking things so hypothetically far- deal with what's actually happening on the field so far.

TP -- the Giants used the exact same defense last year against the Lions (Amakumura played man on Calvin and he only ended up with 3 catches). I've stated that a few times over the last couple posts. That isn't being forced -- that is believing you have the personnel to do so. Which they were obviously wrong, as CJ and Tate tore them up.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus you can come across as a cocky s.o.b. sometimes. I don't think you necessarily mean to here, but you sure are coming across that way

If that is the case -- I am not trying to, though I've been told by a few I am cocky (I like to think of it as confident, not cocky though).

I apologize if it comes off that way -- don't take anything i say personal. It is what it is -- a Lions discussion board. There will always be disagreements as the board is filled with tons of different personalities. I know I come off strong with some of my responses, but I promise you, I am not trying to belittle anyone. More trying to be funny.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit- it's getting dark and I gotta go walk the dags. I'll be back later to keep this argument rolling, though, so getcha popcorn ready!

Not sure if I will be on, but I possibly may check back later. Little guy wanted to party this morning at 5 a.m., so daddy had to get up and start partying with him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme,

Honestly, you are a little unwilling to see things other than the way you believe they are. Why is it so hard to believe that Ebron can have such a effect on a defense?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a new coaching staff doesn't change the personnel the team has overnight. They are a team built to throw the ball right now. Adding Golden Tate and Eric Ebron only emphasized that. If they had a workhorse running back like Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, etc. -- I'm sure they would be a run first team. If they had a bunch of road graders on the offensive line opening up huge holes, I'm sure they would be a run first team. What Detroit has is -- A QB with a rocket arm and the best WR in football to go along with 2 RB's who were the 1st duo in NFL history to have over 500 yards receiving, a trio of TE's and Golden Tate.

It doesn't take a Mensa member to figure out that Detroit is going to be a pass heavy team.

Can a team not be pass-heavy and still run the ball effectively?

New Orleans has been pass heavy and successful running the ball for years. We were pass-first last year and still ran the ball effectively (something you seem to be ignoring, that we made big strides in that department last season). It's not like you can't run the ball simply because your offense is predicated on the passing game.

You act as if we suddenly can't run the ball to save our lives. Those weak boxes you keep talking about happened less less last season as we showed that we could run the ball, and also because Megatron was hurt towards the end of the season. But I get the feeling you don't remember teams having to abandon that 2 high safety approach when we were running the ball well. I'm not saying that we are a great run team, or even that we can do it consistently every week. I am saying that we made a big jump in the run game last year, and we installed a system that has got good production out of the RB position in New Orleans, so I don't think it's the glaring weakness you're packing it up to be.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants game plan was to play single coverage across the board -- it is why I said I put up the thoughts on running the ball thread. Amakumura stated this in his post game interview.

I'm saying IF a team is going to double cover anyone on the Lions -- it is going to be Calvin Johnson. The Giants played a straight man, while also using the Tampa 2 on obvious passing downs.

Playing straight man doesn't mean you don't double cover anyone. 2 guys can (and often are) assigned to the same man. It's not as if the Giants said "ok, you got Megatron, you got Tate, you got Ebron, you got Bush" and that's how they stayed the whole game. Teams would get shredded if they played that way. There's someone doubled, or at least coverage rolled with a free LB or safety, on almost every play. Usually it's the weakest coverage guy, generally the strong safety, who doesn't draw his own coverage, so he's helping on whomever they speculate to be the primary read on that play.

When they say that they were in single coverage the whole game, that means in a general sense it was one DB on one reciever, but on any given play somebody was most likely drawing help on one WR, back, or TE. When there's 6 or 7 guys only covering 4 or 5 pass-catchers, there's help to be had...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there ya go smittaaaay....

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing predictable in here is that

LPinSLC will probably, maybe, have/has super secret MOD powers

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will put my two cents in on Monday. I'm Fairley leshoure Tp and Trust still debating on Monday.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE made popcorn for nothin' Big Blue!

Do we know who all is playing out of EE, BP, Ogilvy and Ryan? Im a little worried aboot BP being dinged up. He's needed tommorrow. Im fine with any combo of the other three.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants weren't FORCED to single cover Calvin Johnson -- they CHOSE to play single coverage. This is why we saw safeties coming up on running plays and different blitz packages. I also think it is a big reason why the Lions only had 15 carries for 15 yards at one point.

They felt DRC and Amakumura could play man on Calvin and Golden Tate. They were obviously very wrong.

I asked lionstop to tell me the formation where teams are FORCED to single cover Calvin Johnson. Since you seem to know the formation -- please tell me what it is, so I can forward it on to the Lions.

And if they did double up on calvin then Bush tate and even ebron would have had more open space which likely would boost their production. Lions have a lot of weapons and defenses only have so many players.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:scratch:

I'm not sure how to address this one, to be honest. Is a team ever truly forced to single cover Calvin by that standard? Will the refs start throwing flags if they cover him with more than one guy? The Giants looked at our personnel, the match-ups, and decided their best bet was to single cover Megatron. Isn't that an instance of our offense forcing them into single coverage?

Like I said already, it doesn't take some secret formation to force a team into single coverage. We have enough weapons that the only team we played so far elected to try to match up with the best WR since Jerry Rice with a single CB most of the game. I think that says a lot about the upgrades we made in the offseason.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if they did double up on calvin then Bush tate and even ebron would have had more open space which likely would boost their production. Lions have a lot of weapons and defenses only have so many players.

I think Seattle has enough DB's to cover Detroit's threat, I'm really not sure but I would like to see the out come of that game....Best DB's vs what I think could be the best Offense in the leauge this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP -- the Giants used the exact same defense last year against the Lions (Amakumura played man on Calvin and he only ended up with 3 catches). I've stated that a few times over the last couple posts. That isn't being forced -- that is believing you have the personnel to do so. Which they were obviously wrong, as CJ and Tate tore them up.

What constitutes being forced then? Are you saying like if a team starts a game doubling Megatron but has to abandon that approach because our other players are beating their one-on-one coverage?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case -- I am not trying to, though I've been told by a few I am cocky (I like to think of it as confident, not cocky though).

I apologize if it comes off that way -- don't take anything i say personal. It is what it is -- a Lions discussion board. There will always be disagreements as the board is filled with tons of different personalities. I know I come off strong with some of my responses, but I promise you, I am not trying to belittle anyone. More trying to be funny.

Haha, no worries. Sometimes I read stuff later and I'm like "That's now how I meant that to sound. Fuck." Inflection is hard to peg on here.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I will be on, but I possibly may check back later. Little guy wanted to party this morning at 5 a.m., so daddy had to get up and start partying with him.

We can always get some pre-game trash-talk in tomorrow. Makes it easier to put a woopin on your ideas when you're not able to fight back. I call it the All Day approach.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will put my two cents in on Monday. I'm Fairley leshoure Tp and Trust still debating on Monday.

Should pick back up tomorrow I would think. One way or the other Ebron is going to give one of us some ammo for the fight...