• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is for all those that are panicking for defensive help.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
827377.gif

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that they addressed both the good and bad about the D. Like the article stated, our D isn't as bad as many perceive it, but it obviously still needs some improving.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop, do you feel the defense is in better position than offense? I know the premise of this thread for you. Do you feel with Watkins or Evans it will translate to more W's than say a Gilbert, Dix, Mack, or Barr would?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you feel with Watkins or Evans it will translate to more W's than say a Gilbert, Dix, Mack, or Barr would?

This is the question I've been attempting to ask for quite some time. Will a #3 WR have more impact on the success of the team than a play maker on defense?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a impact player on either side of the ball helps. Im fine with a defensive player, but just like you guys, I have my own opinion on who the best players are. Again, if a offensive player is the highest rated player at the time, take him. And I dont see another WR as the #3, I see them as another weapon who will be inter-changeable within the scheme.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I dont see another WR as the #3, I see them as another weapon who will be inter-changeable within the scheme.

I agree if we drafted a WR in the top 10 -- he wouldn't be your normal #3 WR, but that is exactly what he would be on the Lions. Calvin Johnson is still going to get the majority of the looks. Reggie Bush and Joique Bell are still going to get all the carries. We paid big money for Golden Tate, so I'm sure he will be seeing a lot of looks.

There are only so many footballs to go around. When you have Calvin Johnson and your #2 had 900 yards last year on a team who ran the ball the most in the league -- What kind of numbers do you think someone like Watkins or Evans will put up on the Lions?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the question I've been attempting to ask for quite some time. Will a #3 WR have more impact on the success of the team than a play maker on defense?

Actually Mike I feel Watkins or Evans would be the 2 here by years end. I like the Tate for Nate switch. Those 2 would move Tate to the slot and that would be nice. To me getting a WR in 3rd or 4th round is getting #3 WR. Which is what I want.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry to butt in.

I see watkins or evans surpassing tate........

i know you paid alot for him.......

but the dudes shown flashes........but never even topped 900 yards......yeah his stats are trending up, but he was a top wr on his team last year and didnt crack 900 yards.........you gotta wonder to yourself , why?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts about Tate is that he will be at his best if the Lions can play him on the inside and outside. That's why I think another big time WR will be very valuable in this situation. Tate becomes very hard to cover and keep track of if the opposing defense has to worry about a guy like Evans. The other WR would benefit greatly from Tate also.

To me, they didn't mind giving Tate the money because he will obviously will have a huge role in the offense. With the draft not promising anything, they probably felt they needed to get a guy they felt strongly about.

Why would "not having enough balls to go around to each player" matter so much that you avoud drafting a impact player? Denver doesnt use that logic and other teams would be fools to think that way. Four guys managed to have over 65 catches and 10 tds for Denver. Everyone got some love.

Watkins or Evans surely would take some catches away from everyone, especially Bush and Bell. Those guys were forced to catch tons of passes, as they were better than the other options. I would go as far as saying that Evans would have at least 10 tds on the season and 1,000 yards. Watkins and Tate would be so dynamic after the catch, it would be scary.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just thinking about the money the Lions gave him. It is #2 money but we shouldn't look at it like that imo. They already stated that the contract isn't nearly as bad as most think.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o i know, im just saying i see evans or watkins as huge upgrades over tate............and tates not bad

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a while back, on the cbs boards, somebody made an arguement that suggested that if you are close to a finished product (1 player), you take the opportunity to make it a finished product by adding said player. I liked that one and it made sense to me. If you're much closer on one side of the ball, finish it.

This is not saying that the team should force the issue and ignore defense. It all comes down to the best player available.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins or Evans surely would take some catches away from everyone

A heartbeat that can catch will do this to CJ and Tate. Only reason I would still be on board with a WR is not see Durham ever again.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, I didnt answer part of your question.

I dont think the defense is in better position than the offense but I do think the fans are over-reacting a bit and forgetting that a lot of the team's struggles came on offense. The defense just needs a good scheme, some health and a couple of solid players as the article states.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, I didnt answer part of your question.

I dont think the defense is in better position than the offense but I do think the fans are over-reacting a bit and forgetting that a lot of the team's struggles came on offense. The defense just needs a good scheme, some health and a couple of solid players as the article states.

Staff's int's/ RB fumbles/ bad TE play will still be here next year and are not replaced by a WR. Now the drops the WR core had need attention. Tate and a 3rd round WR can help immensely.

That article stated best 3rd down defense yet 27th in +40 yard passes. Top red zone defense. How many TD's came outside of the red zone? Stats don't always translate to the truth of problems. Hell I remember many long TD's that crushed the defense with no playmakers beside Suh and Levy.

Look at the missed tackles and blown coverages alone in Steelers and Philly game on long TD's. Playmakers are needed on defense. the solid players are in rd. 1 and 2

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins or Evans surely would take some catches away from everyone, especially Bush and Bell.

We brought in Lombardi, who is supposed to be bringing in a New Orleans type of offense. If that is the case -- Bush and Bell are going to see the ball, as much, if not more next year, as New Orleans RB's had 155 receptions last year (77 for Thomas, 71 for Sproles, 7 for Ingram). 169 if you include the fullback, as Jed Collins had 14 catches.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think another big time WR will be very valuable in this situation. Tate becomes very hard to cover and keep track of if the opposing defense has to worry about a guy like Evans.

Detroit already has the best WR in football to take coverage away from Tate. Tate will never see a top CB covering him and rarely, if ever, will see a double team.

In regards to Evans -- I actually think he would be a better option, if the Lions go with a WR, as he'd give the Lions a much better red zone target, than Watkins.

Red zone is where the Lions need play makers on offense. If the Lions stayed at 10 and took Evans, I wouldn't be terribly upset. It is the trading away a pick/picks to move up to draft a WR that I am against. I just feel if they are going to trade away draft picks -- it should be to upgrade the team where they need the most help.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would "not having enough balls to go around to each player" matter so much that you avoud drafting a impact player? Denver doesnt use that logic and other teams would be fools to think that way. Four guys managed to have over 65 catches and 10 tds for Denver. Everyone got some love.

Not to take anything away from Stafford, as he is the best QB Detroit has had in a long time -- But he isn't Peyton Manning.

For Denver to put up the numbers they did -- Manning set the NFL record for passing yards and touchdowns, while completing over 68% of his passes.

I do agree -- Detroit adding a player like Evans or Watkins would make the Detroit offense more dynamic, but we got to see what happens when a great defense faces a great offense in the Super Bowl. Being in the NFC -- Detroit has the possibility of playing against a couple great defenses (like Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina), but they also have teams with great offenses too, like New Orleans and Atlanta when they are healthy.

When I'm talking about our first round pick and what I believe they should do, I'm thinking more about then the numbers they can put up. I'm thinking about how the team will do if they are successful and make the playoffs. I think adding a player like Watkins or Evans could make the Lions a playoff team, but then I think about our defense and think about what New Orleans did to our defense the last time we were there.

We see what Denver did this offseason -- they had arguably one of the best offenses of all time last year. They made it to the Super Bowl and they were completely shut down by Seattle. They went out this offseason and added Aquib Talib, TJ Ward and DeMarcus Ware, while letting Eric Decker walk and signing a cheaper option for their #3 WR.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the dudes shown flashes........but never even topped 900 yards......yeah his stats are trending up, but he was a top wr on his team last year and didnt crack 900 yards.........you gotta wonder to yourself , why?

He played for a team who ran the ball, ran the ball and ran the ball some more. To put it in perspective, Detroit threw the ball 215 times more last year than Seattle.

If you look at the total numbers put up when you take into the consideration what the team's game plan was -- Tate put up great numbers. His 898 yards was roughly 28% of the total yards Seattle passed for -- this while being used as their #1 WR. Calvin Johnson accounted for roughly 32% of the total yards Detroit passed for.

In NO WAY am I say Tate is even in the same ball park as Calvin Johnson!!!! I'm just saying his numbers he put up were very good in the type of offense he played in. When you break it down further and see he only had 98 balls throw his way on the season and caught 65 -- that is even more impressive.