• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

They must attempt to salvage season before trading.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly, one year removed from a playoff bid and a 0-5 record this year, everyone suggests that the Lions should move on from Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson. While it may be a decent move, it’s still something that needs a lot of time to think about.

I get the impression that the Lions won’t make that type of move and take the rest of the season to think over it. Five games in is not enough. What we don’t know is who will end up in Detroit as far as coaches and GMs. Considering that, there’s some value in keeping these players around.

They’ll remain “tradeable” during the off-season. That gives owners and coaches time to sort things out and a good look at who could be available in the draft and FA. I’d think that would be the best route. But should the Lions trade someone right away, it does nothing to save the season at all.

That would indicate that the Lions (Mayhew) gave up on the plan just less than a season and a half. While he would look better in the eyes of the angry fans, he would also look bad within the organization and possibly damage his resume. Stafford is Mayhew’s guy and Stafford should only go if Mayhew goes. If Mayhew stays, a power play for a coach needs to be made assuming Caldwell is out by season’s end.

Caldwell is still 11-11 with a opportunity to still come out with a winning record.

Perhaps Staff or CJ are traded this year:

Both of these guys are my favorite players in the NFL and if they end up moving on, I will continue to follow them and root for them. I like Philly and Denver for Stafford and N.E and Carolina for Calvin.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is getting traded. Ownership is not letting Mayhew and Lewand make any more decisions. It's just a waiting game now until next year when a new GM is named. They'll let him decide who to trade.

VALion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Stafford in a Jets uniform. Not what I really want to happen but I could see it. I honestly think he will do well wherever he goes.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ll remain “tradeable” during the off-season. That gives owners and coaches time to sort things out and a good look at who could be available in the draft and FA. I’d think that would be the best route. But should the Lions trade someone right away, it does nothing to save the season at all.

There is zero benefit to saving this season, other than showcasing the so-called "tradeable" players. Working back up to the lower middle of the pack and losing a Top-5 draft choice is the worst thing the team could do right now.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is zero benefit to saving this season, other than showcasing the so-called "tradeable" players. Working back up to the lower middle of the pack and losing a Top-5 draft choice is the worst thing the team could do right now.

Wow! Not sure I understand this type of thinking. As a fan, I want them to win as many as possible. I don't want them to pick in the top 5. You're saying all these guys should just wave the white flqg and call it done? Those would be some real losers out there.

I can't imagine an instant where the front office tells them to tank the rest of the season so that they can pick first.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Not sure I understand this type of thinking. As a fan, I want them to win as many as possible. I don't want them to pick in the top 5. You're saying all these guys should just wave the white flqg and call it done? Those would be some real losers out there.

I can't imagine an instant where the front office tells them to tank the rest of the season so that they can pick first.

Reports say some of the team has already given up, and others say there is a locker room division between players and Stafford.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen em'

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say the players will or should purposely tank. This is just my thinking, knowing they have no shot in hell at even a respectable season now. The difference between 3-13 and 5-11 is minimal as a fan, but could be the crucial difference of a few picks in the draft.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these guys are lame ducks with the exception of Austin and they probably know it. Although Mayhew may still squeek through.

Playerwise I think Stafford may be dealt, but most likely CJ will retire a Lion unless he requests the trade himself. We could do worse then Stafford, but he just has not figured out how to master the position. I would try to trade the Saints Staff for Breese even if we ditch Lombardi's offense

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say the players will or should purposely tank. This is just my thinking, knowing they have no shot in hell at even a respectable season now. The difference between 3-13 and 5-11 is minimal as a fan, but could be the crucial difference of a few picks in the draft.

I agree with the last part.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these guys are lame ducks with the exception of Austin and they probably know it. Although Mayhew may still squeek through.

Playerwise I think Stafford may be dealt, but most likely CJ will retire a Lion unless he requests the trade himself. We could do worse then Stafford, but he just has not figured out how to master the position. I would try to trade the Saints Staff for Breese even if we ditch Lombardi's offense

Austin's defense has gotten lit up by good offenses this season. Does he get a pass?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin's defense has gotten lit up by good offenses this season. Does he get a pass?

Somewhat. The fact that his system worked already. No Levy, Tully not the same player, Mathis not what he was last year. Rookie DTs not contributing enough. NGata and Jones hurt. Add a better CB and LB and this defense still does well.

I also think the short fields make a big difference. Once a game can be overcome, but 3 times a game is rediculous.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit was smart, they would sell now, before the trade deadline. Take the accelerated dead cap money hit's now while freeing money for 2016 & beyond. It's better than waiting till the off-season to do the trades which would lead to cap hits in 2016.

Trying to win a few more games this season with guys you are likely to cut ties with in the future, doesn't really accomplish anything positive.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit was smart, they would sell now, before the trade deadline. Take the accelerated dead cap money hit's now while freeing money for 2016 & beyond. It's better than waiting till the off-season to do the trades which would lead to cap hits in 2016.

Trying to win a few more games this season with guys you are likely to cut ties with in the future, doesn't really accomplish anything positive.

Changed your pic Mike,'mess with me for second.

Lions management is not smart enough to make those kind of moves.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changed your pic Mike,'mess with me for second.

Lions management is not smart enough to make those kind of moves.

Baseball season is over for me. If I find a new AZ Cardinals one I like, I'll probably change it to that.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't this about the time of the season that Millen was fired? It's time. Get the new GM, and let him make the moves. Not the moron who got the Lions in this situation in the first place.