• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: There's no place like home: Rangers host A's 7/25-7/27

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the teams who are asking g a king's ransom for their starting pitching get stuck with them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with that contract.

White Sox owe him 10 million per season over the next 2 years, Padres are obligated to pick up the rest (22 million, 11 per each eason)

He's been pretty outstanding in his last 7 starts (2.11 ERA) after that pretty rough 4 start stretch (24.62 ERA)

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the most brutal mid-season trade market in a long time. Lots of teams with a legitimate shot at October; some who need help to overcome injuries and some who are fringe teams who need to add to complete. Couple that with a dearth of "that guy" talent, and I think you're going to see a continuation of overpayment like the Cubs did to get Chapman.

My point is, I'm starting to wonder if the absolute best thing the Rangers could do is stand pat.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the most brutal mid-season trade market in a long time. Lots of teams with a legitimate shot at October; some who need help to overcome injuries and some who are fringe teams who need to add to complete. Couple that with a dearth of "that guy" talent, and I think you're going to see a continuation of overpayment like the Cubs did to get Chapman.

My point is, I'm starting to wonder if the absolute best thing the Rangers could do is stand pat.
Not with our starting rotation this year and beyond.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond is what worries me.
Way I look at it is right now and next year our issue is pitching. We have brought up the farm. There is not much left at AAA but there is at AA. We could be like a guy who hoards all his riches and never uses any of it then kicks the bucket. What did all those riches do for him. We can hold on to our riches and we will be below average. But we use a portion and we could be top tier. There was a day the Rangers always played for next year. I got tired of that. I want to win now and let next year take care of next year. And it has been fun to be in the trade discussions these past 7 years or so because it means we are doing something.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Standing pat is not the answer if you intend to go very far. JD will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Shoujd be a 4/5 deal somewhere better than ours.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to win now.

That also goes towards my point... Other than Chris Sale, who will cost all the players, there's not a "difference maker" out there. But there are enough teams who need help that the sellers can charge difference-maker prices, and I'm not sure I want the Rangers doing that.

Standing pat is not the answer if you intend to go very far. JD will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Shoujd be a 4/5 deal somewhere better than ours.

There are deals, sure. But I worry we are going to have to pay a Hamels-esque price for an Andrew Cashner. And I don't know if I want that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And don't get me wrong because I am not into giving away all our riches. And I know there are risks involved. Like I said it is fun to be in the mix though.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That also goes towards my point... Other than Chris Sale, who will cost all the players, there's not a "difference maker" out there. But there are enough teams who need help that the sellers can charge difference-maker prices, and I'm not sure I want the Rangers doing that.
Not a TORP but a pitcher or two who could pitch 6 innings and give up 3 runs the majority of the time would be huge for us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess that depends on how close you are to being accurate about overpayment being required. I still think we get a starter along the lines of Volquez or Cashier to see us through between now and when our 2 injured starters get back. I also think we will get a decent relief pitcher who doesn't cost a whole lot. Now if we decide to trade Roogie and to a much lesser extent Moreland then we might be able to get substantially more than what I mentioned.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that depends on how close you are to being accurate about overpayment being required. I still think we get a starter along the lines of Volquez or Cashier to see us through between now and when our 2 injured starters get back. I also think we will get a decent relief pitcher who doesn't cost a whole lot. Now if we decide to trade Roogie and to a much lesser extent Moreland then we might be able to get substantially more than what I mentioned.

Who knows how it will all shake out. I just keep reading about demands for pitching and think, man I hope JD doesn't go overboard.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He will get something done. I think a guy like Santana or possibly shields would be relatively cheap prospect wise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows how it will all shake out. I just keep reading about demands for pitching and think, man I hope JD doesn't go overboard.
I am thinking he waits until right before the deadline if he has to in order to lower the cost.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers about to acquire Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez from the Braves. Both are pitchers. Don't know much about them.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers about to acquire Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez from the Braves. Both are pitchers. Don't know much about them.

Alvarez has a pretty stellar K/BB ratio and is a LH reliever --- Harrell, used to be an Astro a few years ago.

Had to give up Demeritte though.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'd take that every fifth day over Martinez/Rodriguez/Lohse/ETC.

I hear you. From a FO perspective think of this.

How many 5th slot starts are left before Holland or Colby comes back? Factor in days off and how many times based on that we can skip the 5th slot? That may mean we win 3 out of 5 games when using the 5th slot.

Question is can we be competitive during that time frame AND can our 1-3 give us consistent quality starts? That's probably what JD is looking at with Banister.

Now if we get a solid middle relief guy maybe two we can bridge the gap in innings for at least two starts of 4 or 5. That is an economical way to approach the trade deadline and strategic too. We land an Abad a couple of days before deadline, sellers will assume JD is holding on a big deal. All of a sudden they call and offer a trade instead of JD looking desperate..