• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The Zeke Elliot Fiasco

How does this fiasco end?

• Zeke caves, reports, and honors his contract.

• Jerry Jones caves, signs Zeke to an extension.

• Zeke holds out for the year or longer.

• All aboard the Jerry Jones grab ass bus for potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the question. We went through this with 22 before, and Jerry didn't cave.

The lost their first two games and I remember players like Irvin were furious and Jerry caved... which he should have. Once he realized the team was losing without him he said, “Here you go. Now you’re the highest paid RB and we need you to win”.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lost their first two games and I remember players like Irvin were furious and Jerry caved... which he should have. Once he realized the team was losing without him he said, “Here you go. Now you’re the highest paid RB and we need you to win”.
You remember incorrectly.

Cowboys didn’t cave in 1993 with Emmitt Smith

Emmitt wanted to be paid even more, and relented on that.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wrong

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Zeke sit the first 3 games and let Dak choke like he does when Zeke doesn’t play. Then sign Zeke to what he wants and tell Dak to take 15 mil or get lost..

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Zeke sit the first 3 games and let Dak choke like he does when Zeke doesn’t play. Then sign Zeke to what he wants and tell Dak to take 15 mil or get lost..

Absolutely none of those things will happen. none

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jerry is digging in.
Good for him.
I'll say it for the 100th time. Zeke has 2 years left on his contract. If he misses even one game screw him.

I'd tell him today what the best and final offer is and tell him that in one week it goes down 10% (because he is only worth the best offer if he is ready to go week 1) and make it clear to him the lower offer will be the last offer he ever gets. Doesn't matter if you win 16 games or none. The big picture is you can't let RBs act this way.

If he skips the year entirely he still has two years left on his contract so he completely loses. If he shows up for the last 6 games he cannot hold out again next year or he won't be eligible to be a UFA after the season. If he is too dumb to see all of this then I don't see how we can expect him to be smart enough to mature off the field and stop getting into trouble, which means we don't want to sign him to a huge contract anyway. The Cowboys absolutely don't need Zeke to win. They do need a good RB to win, but it doesn't have to be Zeke and if it isn't Pollard and they suffer this year, they can just get one next offseason who is good enough. Let Zeke go sit home, party all night and play video games on his couch all day and pay guys like Cooper and Dak who do things the right way.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say it for the 100th time. Zeke has 2 years left on his contract. If he misses even one game screw him.

I'd tell him today what the best and final offer is and tell him that in one week it goes down 10% (because he is only worth the best offer if he is ready to go week 1) and make it clear to him the lower offer will be the last offer he ever gets. Doesn't matter if you win 16 games or none. The big picture is you can't let RBs act this way.

If he skips the year entirely he still has two years left on his contract so he completely loses. If he shows up for the last 6 games he cannot hold out again next year or he won't be eligible to be a UFA after the season. If he is too dumb to see all of this then I don't see how we can expect him to be smart enough to mature off the field and stop getting into trouble, which means we don't want to sign him to a huge contract anyway. The Cowboys absolutely don't need Zeke to win. They do need a good RB to win, but it doesn't have to be Zeke and if it isn't Pollard and they suffer this year, they can just get one next offseason who is good enough. Let Zeke go sit home, party all night and play video games on his couch all day and pay guys like Cooper and Dak who do things the right way.
I would just tell him the offer on the table is the best he will get, and it disappears on Monday morning. After that there will be no more negotiating, Zeke will be expected to play out the remaining two years and up to two years of tags. That is all he will get, so if he wants guarantees then he better sign now.

That said, I really feel like we are about to see a "New Triplets" press conference where we announce new deals with everyone. We aren't hearing anything about Amari or Dak contracts. I think they are already done but they are waiting for Zeke to announce them all. Of course I also think Amari is waiting on Julio, and Julio is waiting on Amari.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just tell him the offer on the table is the best he will get, and it disappears on Monday morning. After that there will be no more negotiating, Zeke will be expected to play out the remaining two years and up to two years of tags. That is all he will get, so if he wants guarantees then he better sign now.

That said, I really feel like we are about to see a "New Triplets" press conference where we announce new deals with everyone. We aren't hearing anything about Amari or Dak contracts. I think they are already done but they are waiting for Zeke to announce them all. Of course I also think Amari is waiting on Julio, and Julio is waiting on Amari.
Regardless of how they do it, they cannot raise the offer once the season starts. You cannot let a RB hold you hostage.

No chance they would wait for Zeke if they have agreed to a deal with the other two. That would infuriate the other two. What if one of them gets hurt or just wants to buy a mansion? Amari is not even a thought in Julio's mind. Julio knows what Thomas got and Amari isn't surpassing that. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is happy to make Dak prove to them that he is worth those $'s and more than willing to pay him even more than they would today if he does prove it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he skips the year entirely he still has two years left on his contract so he completely loses. If he shows up for the last 6 games he cannot hold out again next year or he won't be eligible to be a UFA after the season.

If he plays 6 games this year and 6 games next year, would he be an UFA?
What's the minimum number of games he has to play in order to satisfy his current contract and be an UFA?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of how they do it, they cannot raise the offer once the season starts. You cannot let a RB hold you hostage.

No chance they would wait for Zeke if they have agreed to a deal with the other two. That would infuriate the other two. What if one of them gets hurt or just wants to buy a mansion? Amari is not even a thought in Julio's mind. Julio knows what Thomas got and Amari isn't surpassing that. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is happy to make Dak prove to them that he is worth those $'s and more than willing to pay him even more than they would today if he does prove it.

Amari is definitely a thought on Julio's mind. Julio will not want to sign something and then get one upped by a lesser WR.

I don't want to wait on Dak because they price will not go down. Before last year we could have offered him 5/$100 with 75 Guaranteed and he would have broken his legs trying to get there and sign it. Now it sounds like it will be 5/$150 with $100+ guaranteed. next offseason it could easily be 5/$200m with $150+ guranteed. Just depends on who else signs and resets the market. And guess who is up for a new deal next year? Mahomes. That cat could be the one that gets a fully guaranteed $200M+ deal with cap ties.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the minimum number of games he has to play in order to satisfy his current contract and be an UFA?
No. There are two different rules at play and that is what makes it confusing. Each time he plays 6 games he moves to the next year of his contract.

But to become an UFA he needs to report 4 times by 8/6 (or whatever next years date is). He has only done it 3 times. If he reports after 8/6 again next year but before game 11 both years he does become a FA, but he is a RFA, not an UFA. That is the difference between him and Bell or even Clowney this year

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no
he has to report before the season starts. this year was Aug. 6th he had to report to accrue a year for FA.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is as long as he shows up before week 10, he gets credit for this season. Since he missed the Aug6 deadline this year, he won't be an UFA at the end of his current contract but would be an RFA.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amari is definitely a thought on Julio's mind. Julio will not want to sign something and then get one upped by a lesser WR.

I don't want to wait on Dak because they price will not go down. Before last year we could have offered him 5/$100 with 75 Guaranteed and he would have broken his legs trying to get there and sign it. Now it sounds like it will be 5/$150 with $100+ guaranteed. next offseason it could easily be 5/$200m with $150+ guranteed. Just depends on who else signs and resets the market. And guess who is up for a new deal next year? Mahomes. That cat could be the one that gets a fully guaranteed $200M+ deal with cap ties.
Cooper won't approach Jones from a contract perspective.

Spending a few dollars extra on Dak, but a year later, doesn't really hurt from a cap perspective as you just push the entire contract payments back a year and the cap goes up each year. What would hurt is making a $150M mistake.