• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Wheel of Time

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far it’s pretty good. I’m about to start episode 7 and I do t have that much to complain about. My wife, who read all the book, might.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to waste time on the books.

But started watching this show yesterday, 4 episodes in now.

Definitely a "today's cast".

They never missed a race. As unrealistic as that is.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Small out of the way hamlets are known for their diversity.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emond's Field/The Two Rivers isn't your standard mountain hamlet though, it has an in-universe history that goes a long way toward explaining enhanced diversity.

Fal Dara (visited later in the season) is bigger but more homogeneous.

The only way the books describe two rivers folk physically is "usually dark of hair and eye" and that is usually to marvel at the fact that Rand is from the two rivers but does not fit that description (or to doubt that he truly is from the two rivers)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is going to be the norm for shows today. It costs the show runners almost nothing to have a diverse cast and it avoids criticism.

At some point there were likely be a correction back but right now this will be the norm ESPECIALLY for any show that is trying to appeal to Gen Z types.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is going to be the norm for shows today. It costs the show runners almost nothing to have a diverse cast and it avoids criticism.

At some point there were likely be a correction back but right now this will be the norm ESPECIALLY for any show that is trying to appeal to Gen Z types.

This one is over the top.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess. It's a make believe world thus they can create whatever world they want. Foundation was much the same. Expanse is much the same although maybe not quite as diverse.

Just the way it is going to be. Not really a big deal when it is all said and done. Just take some getting used to because we grew up with very different imagery.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is watching this show worth it? Is it a good adaptation at all, or just read the books?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess. It's a make believe world thus they can create whatever world they want. Foundation was much the same. Expanse is much the same although maybe not quite as diverse.

Just the way it is going to be. Not really a big deal when it is all said and done. Just take some getting used to because we grew up with very different imagery.

Expanse is at least in the future where overlaps and mixing is a certainty.

I was certain I saw a Sherpa or an Inuit somewhere.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanse is at least in the future where overlaps and mixing is a certainty.

I was certain I saw a Sherpa or an Inuit somewhere.

if it makes you feel any better, the deadliest, biggest badasses in the show will be a homogenous race of light-skinned gingers.

seriously.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it makes you feel any better, the deadliest, biggest badasses in the show will be a homogenous race of light-skinned gingers.

seriously.
fuckin a
suck my dick GIF

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seriously.

Who said I felt badly?

If it makes you feel any better I like the show, just made an observation that is true.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, just finished as a non- book reader here. It’s good. Confusing somewhat in the GoT vein in the first season where you’re sort of learning on the fly and if your wife interrupts for a moment to ask you if you bought cat food, you might miss a single line that explains a whole lotta shit? May need to watch first episode again because I clearly wasn’t catching alot of what I needed to there.

Anyway, it seemed rushed. While I get this wasn’t the ultimate battle they made it sound like it was going to be, it could have used more build up I feel… Seemed like they literally walked across the hundred acre wood and they were there.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The diversity is WAY over the top. It's one thing for a place like Tar Valon or a trade port to be diverse--that makes perfect sense. But an isolated village that barely ever sees strangers somehow has 4 different ethnicities, that's ridiculous. Instead, every single city shown is crazy-diverse to the point that all its missing to complete the diversity checklist is a crossdresser and a man in a wheelchair.

I really want to see how they handle the seanchan. The empress is supposed to be black and the seanchan military built on slavery. Something tells me there will be some changes from the book on those points...I wonder why....

So, just finished as a non- book reader here. It’s good. Confusing somewhat in the GoT vein in the first season where you’re sort of learning on the fly and if your wife interrupts for a moment to ask you if you bought cat food, you might miss a single line that explains a whole lotta shit? May need to watch first episode again because I clearly wasn’t catching alot of what I needed to there.

Anyway, it seemed rushed. While I get this wasn’t the ultimate battle they made it sound like it was going to be, it could have used more build up I feel… Seemed like they literally walked across the hundred acre wood and they were there.
I agree that it was rushed, but i think it was still done pretty well. The novels spend half a book with characters traveling from one place to another, but you can't do that in a live action show if you want to hold the audience's interest.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried not to get too bent out of whack by this, but it was quite jarring. Tiny hamlets with every “Earth” race represented. Sorry, but when you have a limited gene pool, that kind of diversity will not exist. That isn’t racist, it is genetics.

Having a single “oddball” here and there would kinda make sense, as there likely will be limited emigration/immigration, but the vast bulk of the populace will/should be of a single “race”.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emond's Field/The Two Rivers isn't your standard mountain hamlet though, it has an in-universe history that goes a long way toward explaining enhanced diversity.

Fal Dara (visited later in the season) is bigger but more homogeneous.

The only way the books describe two rivers folk physically is "usually dark of hair and eye" and that is usually to marvel at the fact that Rand is from the two rivers but does not fit that description (or to doubt that he truly is from the two rivers)
But there are whites, blacks, Indian/Pakistani/Afghani, Asians….

As you say, even in the books, they have a general description ("usually dark of hair and eye"). If the show were staying with the books, the book would have said something to the effect of “There is no consistent physical traits as is was a true mixing pot of peoples”. There was no minority/majority race depicted in Two Rivers in the show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Foundation was only in their 2nd generation of being isolated. Having a hodgepodge of races would make more sense in that story.