• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Urban Meyer announcement

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt get smug. What I got is someone who didn't think they are at fault and didn't hide the displeasure.
Interestingly, people who heard what he said had a totally different view from those who saw him. I think he was pissed at himself more than anything else.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said a few days back that I thought Urban would get a reprimand & a one- or two-week suspension. I think the three weeks is more appropriate. It was unclear whether he would be allowed on the practice field or in his office during that span. It's not much of a suspension if he is still allowed to oversee game preparations.

And I thought Shelly Meyer got off unscathed. She also failed to report what she was told through the proper channels & should have gotten some type of official reprimand & at least a week's suspension.
Here is what I don't get, so someone smart here is going to have to help me. . .

Page 7 of the report . . .

(c) From approximately 2014-2016, Zach Smith’s credit cards were declined on at least three to five occasions (and some replacement cards he provided were also declined) when the travel office was booking rental cars for recruiting trips; staff also recalls that Zach Smith was delinquent in paying for his iPhones and for costs associated with Bowl games; these issues were elevated to AD Gene Smith and Brian Voltolini by Jennifer Bulla, Travel Manager, in an email dated January 23, 2016; Coach Meyer has a vague recollection of being aware of these issues as well.

(d) From October 2015 through 2016, a long-term investigation by the Powell Police Department and the Delaware County prosecutor of Zach Smith for possible domestic violence and cyber offenses against Courtney Smith.
(i) In October 2015, Miechelle Willis, then the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the Athletics Department, received information from the Ohio State Campus Police about the Powell Police investigation; Willis immediately notified AD Smith, who in turn notified Coach Meyer during a football practice that Zach Smith was under investigation for domestic violence and could be arrested at any time. AD Gene Smith recalls Coach Meyer having an immediate and strong negative reaction to this news;

So not only was compliance notified, they were notified BEFORE Gene Smith and or Urban Meyer...

WTH is compliance for? Why did they pass this off on the AD instead of performing the investigation themselves? If they knew about it, what was Gene/Urban supposed to report?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I don't get, so someone smart here is going to have to help me. . .

Page 7 of the report . . .

(c) From approximately 2014-2016, Zach Smith’s credit cards were declined on at least three to five occasions (and some replacement cards he provided were also declined) when the travel office was booking rental cars for recruiting trips; staff also recalls that Zach Smith was delinquent in paying for his iPhones and for costs associated with Bowl games; these issues were elevated to AD Gene Smith and Brian Voltolini by Jennifer Bulla, Travel Manager, in an email dated January 23, 2016; Coach Meyer has a vague recollection of being aware of these issues as well.

(d) From October 2015 through 2016, a long-term investigation by the Powell Police Department and the Delaware County prosecutor of Zach Smith for possible domestic violence and cyber offenses against Courtney Smith.
(i) In October 2015, Miechelle Willis, then the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the Athletics Department, received information from the Ohio State Campus Police about the Powell Police investigation; Willis immediately notified AD Smith, who in turn notified Coach Meyer during a football practice that Zach Smith was under investigation for domestic violence and could be arrested at any time. AD Gene Smith recalls Coach Meyer having an immediate and strong negative reaction to this news;

So not only was compliance notified, they were notified BEFORE Gene Smith and or Urban Meyer...

WTH is compliance for? Why did they pass this off on the AD instead of performing the investigation themselves? If they knew about it, what was Gene/Urban supposed to report?
Wasn't Smith suspended specifically for not reporting this to compliance? That's what they said.

I was hoping we would have more answers, but we came out with more questions.

Either way the season is about to start so my interest in any of it is falling fast.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went a little steeper than I thought with the 3 game suspension.

Good for OSU fans, but Urban did himself no favors with the way he presented himself and the way he answered questions last night.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Smith suspended specifically for not reporting this to compliance? That's what they said.

Either way the season is about to start so my interest in any of it is falling fast.
Yes, which is why I don't understand and asked the question.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aren't title XI and compliance two different offices? From what i heard today in some instance compliance wasn't notified.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously the Ohio State athletic department and Urban Meyer are insulting "Buckeye Nation's" intelligence with that garbage that his medication makes him forgetful.

LMAO!!!

Pretty sure "Buckeye Nation" doesn't realize their intelligence has been insulted.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, people who heard what he said had a totally different view from those who saw him. I think he was pissed at himself more than anything else.
I think he was pissed at having to answer to other people for what he did. For example, I really got the impression he blames all of this on Courtney Smith.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a radio show in the Detroit area and everyone on that was going with Urban was pissed that he was being punished at all and he absolutely didn’t come off in the least bit genuine with the statement.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was pissed at having to answer to other people for what he did. For example, I really got the impression he blames all of this on Courtney Smith.
And that he doesn’t believe anything happened at all. He didn’t even apologize to her, it was to everyone involved he’s “sorry they are in this situation.”

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't title XI and compliance two different offices? From what i heard today in some instance compliance wasn't notified.
I'm sure that they have compliance officers associated with many aspects of the university. For example, they have to comply with conditions of a research grant, comply with laws regarding office safety, comply with NCAA regulations, etc. You get the idea.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Urban didn't want to fire a guy who knows where all the bodies are buried. If so Urban is still making sure his bills are paid. Urban is shady as hell with the" Oh, I can't remember 2015 so it wasn't lying". Funny hw he couldn't answer things because of his memory but when word got out people might be looking he sure remembered about text messages he wouldn't want others to see. No way a married couple of 29 years who are as tight as they are not telling each other if someone in their close family and working relationship is saying her husband is abusing her. Not a chance in hell. Even if they don't think it's true they are still going to talk about it.
Another thing. Some of you think abuse is always easy to spot. Maybe he wasn't a hitter maybe he pushed her around grabbed her and threatened her. If you only think abuse is there when the woman has a black eye and broken ribs then you're going to miss seeing the other abused woman.
And I don't care what you ass backward cavemen think. It's not un manly to believe you shouldn't hit a woman or push her around. You're a fucking puss if you think thats part of being a man.
You need to dial it clear the fuck back with this soapbox bullshit, because you are way off base here.

First off, I don't recall Urban himself actually blaming his medication and saying that it's all on that. The investigation team found that part out and it was presented, so cool it.

Secondly, not a single Buckeye on here has defended Zach or called him a good person or a real man, so seriously GTFO with that nonsense. Just FYI in the future - it's a really, really, really bad look when your own mother says you are lying, were the procrastinator, and were abusive yourself. It's really, really bad.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went a little steeper than I thought with the 3 game suspension.

Good for OSU fans, but Urban did himself no favors with the way he presented himself and the way he answered questions last night.
After the Big 10 press conference I thought for sure he’d be fully prepared for this one, (And who knows, maybe he was), but he totally bombed this one with the way he presented himself IMO. To not bring up Ms Smith once and then when finally getting a question about what he’d say to her to go with the: “I’m just sorry we’re in this situation” line. I know that rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondly, not a single Buckeye on here has defended Zach or called him a good person or a real man, so seriously GTFO with that nonsense.
Okay - so the consensus is that Zach Smith engaged in behavior that put him on the outs with Buckeye Nation.

Just FYI in the future - it's a really, really, really bad look when your own mother says you are lying, were the procrastinator, and were abusive yourself. It's really, really bad.
Ah - so you don't believe Courtney Smith.

So what was it that Zach did that would cause him to so lose favor with Buckeye Nation, if it was not beating his wife?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Big 10 press conference I thought for sure he’d be fully prepared for this one, (And who knows, maybe he was), but he totally bombed this one with the way he presented himself IMO. To not bring up Ms Smith once and then when finally getting a question about what he’d say to her to go with the: “I’m just sorry we’re in this situation” line. I know that rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way.
To be fair, they should've had this presser this morning instead of last night after spending 12 hours in a tense boardroom. No wonder he wasn't on top of his game.

Not bringing up Courtney Smith was without question the smart play. No reason to try and interject into a situation where nobody has clear evidence of what is happening just to please the SJW crowd.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He came across as a sociopath that truly believes he did no wrong and tried to portray himself as the victim here. I expected him to at least act a little remorseful, but he didn't at all.

I mean, there's a chance this still effects recruiting. If I had a son, I'd be a little iffy on wanting him to play for Urban.