• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The top 10 coaches

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 3 look right. Not sure what Mike McDaniel has done to make the list

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've ranted about Tomlin plenty of times in many of threads so needless to say he's not the #5th best HC nor would I put him in the top 10.

I don't think he's a bad coach but you can't tell me a guy that hasn't won a playoff game since 2016 is the fifth best coach in the league in the year 2024 because he has mediocre QB play and hasn't had a losing season. Maybe I'm strict but you gotta do better than just be slightly above average to be the 5th best coach in the league.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 4 are fine. After that, it gets pretty subjective. McDaniel is a good offensive mind but has been routinely exposed by better teams and coaches. And Sean Payton might just be the most over-rated coach in football. Stefanski would be on there over Payton in my book and I think I would have LaFleur at #5. I'm also not sure why McDermott is not on the list, certainly over Tomlin, McDaniel and Payton.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 4 are fine. After that, it gets pretty subjective. McDaniel is a good offensive mind but has been routinely exposed by better teams and coaches. And Sean Payton might just be the most over-rated coach in football. Stefanski would be on there over Payton in my book and I think I would have LaFleur at #5. I'm also not sure why McDermott is not on the list, certainly over Tomlin, McDaniel and Payton.

Yeah, McDermott is a curious omission. If you're going to penalize for not beating the Chiefs, then that applies to a lot of those names.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, McDermott is a curious omission. If you're going to penalize for not beating the Chiefs, then that applies to a lot of those names.

He was great in Happy Days though......

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell at 9 shows they are factoring in more than X and Os and gametime decisions.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've ranted about Tomlin plenty of times in many of threads so needless to say he's not the #5th best HC nor would I put him in the top 10.

I don't think he's a bad coach but you can't tell me a guy that hasn't won a playoff game since 2016 is the fifth best coach in the league in the year 2024 because he has mediocre QB play and hasn't had a losing season. Maybe I'm strict but you gotta do better than just be slightly above average to be the 5th best coach in the league.
This.

Tomlin gets a lot of credit for salvaging seasons, but never gets any blame when they routinely underachieve. And it was his decision to keep Matt Canada around for as long as he did when the entire world knew that guy was a 2 pack of ass at his job. He made that bed and was forced to sleep in it. No idea how he doesn't get any mud on his reputation over crappy decisions like that.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I have no issues with the top 4. Seems about right. I don't get McDaniel. Payton has to show that he can do something without Drew Brees as his QB and with a different franchise - I don't really have an opinion on whether it is possible, but I think it should play out before anointing him a top coach. I have similar thoughts about Jim Harbaugh - I think he's a terrific coach and I suspect he'll have success on his second tour in the NFL, but it's been a decade and the league is different. No reason to assume he is top 10 at the moment.

A few snubs.... Stefanski has been coach of the year twice in his 4 years in Cleveland. Taylor has been as good as McDaniel, but he doesn't wear fancy joggers. Ryans only has one season in, but you can already tell he is going to be at the top of the profession. McCarthy has a much better record than anyone wants to talk about.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few snubs.... Stefanski has been coach of the year twice in his 4 years in Cleveland. Taylor has been as good as McDaniel, but he doesn't wear fancy joggers. Ryans only has one season in, but you can already tell he is going to be at the top of the profession. McCarthy has a much better record than anyone wants to talk about.
Jim Harbaugh hasn't won an NFL game in a literal decade.

The offensive guru Payton went 8-9 with a bottom 5 offfense.

And both are somehow ahead of 2x COTY Stefanski... A guy that started 5 different QBs last season and still made the playoffs. I may have a tremendous amount of hate for that team, but there's no denying that Stefanski is a top 10 coach. Dude literally took the shitstain out of the Cleveland Browns culture & made them a contender.

But these lists are mostly designed to incite reaction. And here we are lol.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I have no issues with the top 4. Seems about right. I don't get McDaniel. Payton has to show that he can do something without Drew Brees as his QB and with a different franchise - I don't really have an opinion on whether it is possible, but I think it should play out before anointing him a top coach. I have similar thoughts about Jim Harbaugh - I think he's a terrific coach and I suspect he'll have success on his second tour in the NFL, but it's been a decade and the league is different. No reason to assume he is top 10 at the moment.

I forgot about Taylor. He is very under-rated, imo. I wanted to mention Ryans but I need to see if he backs up last season with more success now that Houston isn't going to surprize people that under-estimated them.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think once you get to around 9th place then I'd probably consider Mike Tomlin and/or Sean Payton.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor has been as good as McDaniel, but he doesn't wear fancy joggers.

Taylor is probably the best coach as far as setting a culture goes in the league. I honestly believe Bengals players would bleed for him.

It's his play calling and the inability to set the tone running the ball that has been an issue. Joe Burrow is so great that he nullifies the deficiencies. But it's getting better ( better personal for the system too ).

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor is probably the best coach as far as setting a culture goes in the league. I honestly believe Bengals players would bleed for him.

It's his play calling and the inability to set the tone running the ball that has been an issue. Joe Burrow is so great that he nullifies the deficiencies. But it's getting better ( better personal for the system too ).
Dan Campbell will bite your kneecaps off for talk like this.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not many coaches in the Gibbs/Shula/Walsh/parcels category anymore.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Campbell will bite your kneecaps off for talk like this.
TBH - It's this side of Campbell that gets him on a list like this while Taylor is not on a list like this. Comparisons between the two coaches are interesting. Both took over bad situations with historically bad franchises. They both have losing lifetime records because of the situations they walked into. Taylor has gone to 2 conference championships and 1 Super Bowl. And he doesn't have the same disasterous loss on his record that Campbell had this winter. This isn't to say I don't like Campbell - I think he's a terrific coach. But, it's curious that he gets all of these kudos and Taylor gets nothing. More than anything, it's the Joe Burrow effect - Any success the Bengals have will be attributed to Burrow.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow: 34-24-1
Zac Taylor: 42-46-1

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ih ate Dallas,but if Peyton Is on the list mcargthy should be.
:susp:
I am not a McCarthy hater or anything, but he definitely is not one of the top coaches in the league!
Should not be on this list.