• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The top 10 coaches

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've ranted about Tomlin plenty of times in many of threads so needless to say he's not the #5th best HC nor would I put him in the top 10.

I don't think he's a bad coach but you can't tell me a guy that hasn't won a playoff game since 2016 is the fifth best coach in the league in the year 2024 because he has mediocre QB play and hasn't had a losing season. Maybe I'm strict but you gotta do better than just be slightly above average to be the 5th best coach in the league.

It's very impressive to go 17 seasons in the NFL without a losing season. Only 2 coaches in history have done better. This isn't Alabama where they have so much more talent every year, this is the NFL where things change dramatically for teams season to season. He had winning seasons with teams that had no business having a winning record. Tomlin is one of the greatest coaches of his era. Hell I can make an argument that he is better than BB given what took place after Brady left NE.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very impressive to go 17 seasons in the NFL without a losing season. Only 2 coaches in history have done better. This isn't Alabama where they have so much more talent every year, this is the NFL where things change dramatically for teams season to season. He had winning seasons with teams that had no business having a winning record. Tomlin is one of the greatest coaches of his era. Hell I can make an argument that he is better than BB given what took place after Brady left NE.
Its weird when I see Steeler fans bash Tomlin. When i see other fanbases bash him I just shrug.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The never having a losing season is the only thing he can hang his hat on and I don't deny he's at least a good coach but they don't give trophies for not having losing seasons.

Yes he's had winning seasons with mediocre teams but he's also lost in the playoffs with teams that should've contended for Super Bowls. I mean he's the guy that lost to Tebow in OT in the playoffs with a team loaded with talent or how about the 2017 debacle against the Jags?

Simple fact of the matter is

-hasn't won a SB since 08

-hasn't been to a SB since 10

-since that last SB in 10 has been to one AFC Championship in 2016

-hasn't won a playoff game since 2016

My standards as a fan is championships and if you're telling me my coach hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 14 years and hasn't won a playoff game in 8 years I'd want him gone and he definitely wouldn't be on my top 10 coaching lists.

Talent does fluctuate from season to season but in the NFL we've seen time and time again rebuilds aren't long-drawn-out processes. I don't buy a narrative where Tomlin is this master chef that's constantly been given rotten ingredients to cook with.

I'd be more positive on Tomlin if he had another SB appearance or at least a couple of AFC championships under his belt but with his resume as it stands now I'd say he's a good coach not an elite one.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying it's early to promote Taylor to top 10 imo but he could get there
My initial comparison was with Campbell. Do you think it's early to promote him to top 10? As an aside, I think Taylor is a good team builder.... I think he is shaky with playcalling on gameday. That doesn't mean it won't improve - I used to spend a lot of time with Eagles fans that said the same things about Reid. I don't think anyone is getting up to that level, but I do expect improvement over time. I would put him in the top 10 right now, but only because I'm skeptical of some of the folks listed and don't like a lot of the other options.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get in but he sure as shit didn’t do a lot without Brady has head coach. He should certainly get in for his grestness as a defensive coordinator alone.
Agreed. He also had the balls to stick with Brady when Bledsoe and his huge contract were ready to return. That wasn't an easy call. I give Bill credit for the early Pats runs and I give Brady most of the credit for sustaining the success over time.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its weird when I see Steeler fans bash Tomlin. When i see other fanbases bash him I just shrug.
A relative on mine is a hard core Steelers fan and has wanted him replaced for years. I told him he is spoiled, as if going 9-8 with Picket and Trubisky is the end of the world.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The never having a losing season is the only thing he can hang his hat on and I don't deny he's at least a good coach but they don't give trophies for not having losing seasons.

Yes he's had winning seasons with mediocre teams but he's also lost in the playoffs with teams that should've contended for Super Bowls. I mean he's the guy that lost to Tebow in OT in the playoffs with a team loaded with talent or how about the 2017 debacle against the Jags?

Simple fact of the matter is

-hasn't won a SB since 08

-hasn't been to a SB since 10

-since that last SB in 10 has been to one AFC Championship in 2016

-hasn't won a playoff game since 2016

My standards as a fan is championships and if you're telling me my coach hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 14 years and hasn't won a playoff game in 8 years I'd want him gone and he definitely wouldn't be on my top 10 coaching lists.

Talent does fluctuate from season to season but in the NFL we've seen time and time again rebuilds aren't long-drawn-out processes. I don't buy a narrative where Tomlin is this master chef that's constantly been given rotten ingredients to cook with.

I'd be more positive on Tomlin if he had another SB appearance or at least a couple of AFC championships under his belt but with his resume as it stands now I'd say he's a good coach not an elite one.
Exactly what I have been talking about above. He hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2008, cry me a river you spoiled child. The other teams has a lot to do with that, not the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He got beat by teams with better talent. Often he beat teams with better talent. When was the last time he had a QB who played like an actual franchise QB?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get in but he sure as shit didn’t do a lot without Brady has head coach. He should certainly get in for his grestness as a defensive coordinator alone.
parcells would have Been a hof coach without bb.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I have been talking about above. He hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2008, cry me a river you spoiled child.

He hasn't even won a playoff game in nearly a decade, with his teams allowing 40 points per game in their five playoff losses during that stretch. (let that sink in)

Tomlin basically wasted the last decade of Roethlisberger's prime.

His teams haven't done anything of relevance in a long time, but people who just don't follow the Steelers closely feel compelled to regurgitate the kool-aid about Mike Tomlin that is peddled in the national sports media.

He's not a bad coach, but he was never a great one, getting to Superbowls with Bill Cowher's teams, and in the context of winning championships, he hit his expiration date with the Steelers a long time ago.

"Mediocre Mike" is what he has become.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial comparison was with Campbell. Do you think it's early to promote him to top 10? As an aside, I think Taylor is a good team builder.... I think he is shaky with playcalling on gameday. That doesn't mean it won't improve - I used to spend a lot of time with Eagles fans that said the same things about Reid. I don't think anyone is getting up to that level, but I do expect improvement over time. I would put him in the top 10 right now, but only because I'm skeptical of some of the folks listed and don't like a lot of the other options.
Campbell being top ten is a joke.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've ranted about Tomlin plenty of times in many of threads so needless to say he's not the #5th best HC nor would I put him in the top 10.

I don't think he's a bad coach but you can't tell me a guy that hasn't won a playoff game since 2016 is the fifth best coach in the league in the year 2024 because he has mediocre QB play and hasn't had a losing season. Maybe I'm strict but you gotta do better than just be slightly above average to be the 5th best coach in the league.

BUT HE LIKES JUSTIN FIELDS! Diversity hiring and all! He must be top 5!

I try not to get political on here, but I don't get it either.. everyone treats Tomlin like he's some football God when he won a Superbowl with the team Cowher built and has built and coached a genuinely useless team ever since. Maybe he should stand on the sidelines more during kick returns. That might've been his only useful contribution. Steelers FO needs to pull their head out of their ass and dump that guy.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m glad some are bringing up the Cowher piggyback.

Mike Tomlin is Marvin Lewis. But perception warps reality.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
BUT HE LIKES JUSTIN FIELDS! Diversity hiring and all! He must be top 5!

I try not to get political on here, but I don't get it either.. everyone treats Tomlin like he's some football God when he won a Superbowl with the team Cowher built and has built and coached a genuinely useless team ever since. Maybe he should stand on the sidelines more during kick returns. That might've been his only useful contribution. Steelers FO needs to pull their head out of their ass and dump that guy.
The Steelers organization prides itself on it's reputation for stability and clearly they value that more than adding more Lombardis

If Tomlin was on any of the other 31 teams he would've been Pete Carrolled a couple of years ago with one of those lots of praise and word gymnastics to make it sound like he wasn't fired but just moved slightly out of the way into a different role.

I don't think it's mainly a race thing with Tomlin but just a reputation and the team he coaches for thing. The NFC version of Tomlin was Pete Carroll and look at how great of a coach they said he was even up till the day he was fire....err granted a different role in the organization. I mean because he had a home run derby with the drafts in the early 10s he was considered a draft genius for years despite years of drafting busts and only nailing a few picks along the way.

The simple fact of the matter is 99% of national sports media simply doesn't know enough about each individual team like fans do to sound off with an actual comprehensive analysis of any team.