• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Giving up 34pts per game is not good;
2) Having the 108th ranked defense is not good;
3) Having your signature win against Rice is not impressive;

You are saying that the above, paired with a loss warrants top 10 consideration? Huh?

I agree and said in my op that you shouldn't drop a team a bunch for losing a close one to a good team. Fine. But that is still not even close to a top 10 ranking. You have teams behind them that have better records, better wins, better stats.

Didn't Rice just beat a B12 school the other day?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teasips butthurt that Mack is leading them to another 5-7 season while little bro gets all the attention.
STFU

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Giving up 34pts per game is not good;
2) Having the 108th ranked defense is not good;
3) Having your signature win against Rice is not impressive;

You are saying that the above, paired with a loss warrants top 10 consideration? Huh?

I agree and said in my op that you shouldn't drop a team a bunch for losing a close one to a good team. Fine. But that is still not even close to a top 10 ranking. You have teams behind them that have better records, better wins, better stats.

Then get hired as a coach and change the system. Otherwise, get the fuck over a week 3 poll.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia, SC and Florida have all been whipped. TAM got beat.

The only team the SEC has that is a shoe-in for the BCS bowl is Alabama at this point. Everybody else in the SEC is certainly no better than Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, etc.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am saying this year Miss St. will be in the Top 25 with wins over NOBODY! I knew I would get the 7 straight line sooner or later. You have an easier path to get to the game than any other conference in the country! Because weaker teams in your conference are precieved as strong because they are in your conference. Nothing to do with performance on the field. My team usually gets the same high pre-season ranking because of name recognition and tradition. Difference is my team has to run the table to get to the big dance where Bama, LSU, UGA, USCe, and Florida don't have to because they play a precieved tough schedule with teams like Miss St. Tenn, and Vandy being ranked in the top 25 come November whether they have actually beaten anyone or not.

You knew you would get he 7 straight line sooner or later? Oh so the "facts" only matter when they are the ones you want to admit too? You were the one who wanted to look at the "facts" completely out of context, not me.

Weaker teams in the SEC are seen as stronger because for the most part they are not the cupcakes from other conferences. Still, teams like Kentucky are not considered anything special because they aren't.

You like many others around here have no concept of what a top25 team is. Why don't you start voting in the poll we have here so we can see just how good an "unbiased" poll is.

The SEC is stronger, deal with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia, SC and Florida have all been whipped. TAM got beat.

The only team the SEC has that is a shoe-in for the BCS bowl is Alabama at this point. Everybody else in the SEC is certainly no better than Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, etc.

SC and TAMU both lost to other SEC teams. That's going to happen by default. Before long, Oregon and Stanford are going to do the same thing. One of them has to lose.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add in Florida at #19. Resume:

* Signature win is vs Toledo;
* Proven only that they can lose to Miami. This = a top 20 ranking?

Heck, even Texas Tech should be ahead of them, imo. Texas Tech is 3-0; Destroyed both easy opponents they had; and just beat a very good TCU team. Why should that be ranked behind 1-1 with a Toledo win?

Hizzle... no offense but pull your head out of your ass...

In your original post you talk about Miami's win over a "highly ranked program".... trying to justify why they should be ranked higher than the SEC teams...

Then 3 post later you drop the turd above... saying Florida is over-rated. Let me jog your memory, their win over a highly ranked program, who was that again? ... err... Florida?

I agree that Florida with Driskel at the helm shouldn't be ranked.. but you can't have it both ways.

Miami's win over Florida, although a win, wasn't that impressive.. .it took a bad Florida offense turning the ball over a few times for Miami to squeak out the win. Not downplaying their win.. but I am not ready to rank them in the top 15 over it either because I don't believe Florida should have every been ranked in the top 20.

You highlight the problem with pre-season polls... they are garbage.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SC and TAMU both lost to other SEC teams. That's going to happen by default. Before long, Oregon and Stanford are going to do the same thing. One of them has to lose.

That doesn't matter. A loss is a loss. I hate it when SEC fans start trying to "glorify" their losses by stating the obvious that they lost to another SEC team. There is no glory in any loss.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't matter. A loss is a loss. I hate it when SEC fans start trying to "glorify" their losses by stating the obvious that they lost to another SEC team. There is no glory in any loss.

Spoken like a true CFB fan of a basketball school :laugh3:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when is A&M going to play somebody worth spit OOC? Settling right on into the SEC just fine, I see. :kidding:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why preseason rankings suck

Texas Tech is a perfect example of the problems that exist. 2-0 with wins over SMU and TCU is better than beating Toledo and losing. It's also a much better resume than Baylors.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoken like a true CFB fan of a basketball school :laugh3:

Does that matter? I don't really remember aTm being relevant in either before the switch to the SEC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Treating all losses as being equal is silly. Who you lose to matters, there is a big difference between losing to a team like Georgia and losing to Toledo.

But the reason I mentioned that they were other SEC teams is that by default those games = losses for the SEC. As I also said, it's going to be the same thing with 2 of the teams you mentioned, Oregon and Stanford who are both in Pac12 North. The difference is 1 game has been played and the other hasn't.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another line I'm sure you were expecting:

Weak teams? How did the SEC#6 do against the big12 co-champ last year in the cotton bowl?

How did that work for ya while you were in the Big XII? Remind me of A&M's record against OU again.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that work for ya while you were in the Big XII? Remind me of A&M's record against OU again.

Reach for that moral victory!
:laugh3:

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say scoring 42 points on the number 1 team in the country and losing by only 7 is a good reason to rank AM 10th. It's exactly where I have them this week.

It is strange that not long ago SEC fans thought there should be no way a team that gives up 42 points can be number one, just saying.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) A&M at #10? What have they done to deserve that ranking above other teams? Resume:
* Signature win was against Rice (whom they gave up 31 pts to);
* Have given up 101 points in 3 games;
* Defense is ranked 108th in the country;
* Lost to the only good team they played.

Can you somewhat forgive a single digit loss to Bama? Sure. But what else do they have to put them ahead of teams who are undefeated and have beaten quality opponents?

2) South Carolina at #12? Ditto the above. Resume:
* Signature win was against North Carolina (in unimpressive fashion);
* Almost blew a 4td lead to squeak by Vanderbuilt;
* Lost to the only good team they played by double digits.

UCLA is undefeated; Has beaten 2 quality teams (1 ranked); And won both games impressively.
Miami is undefeated; Has beaten a highly ranked team.
Oklahoma is 3-0; Has the #14 ranked defense in the country; Has beaten Tulsa and West Virginia (better than Rice).
Michigan is 3-0; Has beaten Notre Dame; Struggled last weak vs a bad team but still won.

We are going to forgive A&M for struggling vs Rice and for losing, and we will forgive S. Carolina for struggling vs Vandy and losing - But we will not forgive Michigan for struggling vs Akron and being undefeated including a ranked opponent win??????:bullshit:

:violin:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is strange that not long ago SEC fans thought there should be no way a team that gives up 42 points can be number one, just saying.

Funny how that's changed isn't it?