• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that every time any body else plays a SEC team they get crushed...we fix that and the rankings will change as well.

Not this year....

SEC wins against power conferences
- USC over UNC
- LSU over TCU
- Alabama over Virginia Tech
- Auburn over Washington State
- Ole Miss over Texas
- Not sure how many of these teams were crushed, I'd say just Texas.

SEC loses to AQ schools
- Clemson over Georgia
- Miami over Florida
- Oklahoma State over Mississippi State
- Oregon over Tennessee
- Louisville over Kentucky

So they're 5-5 against AQ schools and Kentucky lost to a non-AQ school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real truth behind the polls and SEC bias. $$$$$$ I know that SEC guy won't read it all and look at the facts but it is true.

Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think | ThePostGame

It's a bullshit article, sorry.

First it looks at records in bowl games as if they are all even teams playing each other. #3vs#4, #5vs#6, and so on. That's not even close to how bowl games are selected, so it's not even relevant. The SEC sends 8-10 teams to bowl games. Think on that a bit.

It then goes on to make the usual cry that bowl games are played in the south. Yeah, because they are played in the middle of winter and fans are more likely to show up to better weather games. I didn't see a lack of Notre Dame fans in Miami last year. Also goes right back to how bowl games are actually decided.

Then goes on to spill out that same stupid myth that preseason rankings are somekind of advantage. Yet everytime I see this posted on these forums I ask the same question and nobody seems to really answer. Please provide me the example of a team that got screwed out of a National Championship because of preseason polls. At best I hear OkSt, but then they ignore that they lost to a team that only became bowl eligible because of that lost and finished the season undefeated. Or Auburn a decade ago, which is probably the most legitimate claim, yet ignores that maybe people just didn't think Auburn was among the best, and that it had nothing to do with preseason rankings.

It then goes on as if the SEC is somekind of money generating thing for the BCS.

And blah blah blah.

A bunch of bullshit.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it updates every week. Perceptions change as new information comes. Virginia isn't currently ranked because nobody thinks they are only going to have 2 losses on the season. They still have a few more pretty brutal games to go and play one of the tougher schedules this year it's looking like. In fact, I have them with the toughest schedule currently.

People thought Texas was going to be good, so they were ranked to start the season. That perception turned out to be false, and so they dropped out of the top25 completely.

Then you're right, the way my poll works and the way I understood polls in the past is different than the way you understand them. I'm not going to try to predict the future in my poll.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year....

- USC over UNC
- LSU over TCU
- Ole Miss over Texas

SEC loses to AQ schools
- Clemson over Georgia
- Miami over Florida
- Oregon over Tennessee

Good post but "Team SEC" can't hear you. Facts are not something they are willing to look at. It won't be long until you get the line "seven straight NC's". My post above tells you the why on those seven NC's. They have an unfair advantage in the polls every year so that win or lose "in" conference they always have an out. They shouldn't rank teams until at least week 5 of the season. TCU was only #12 the first week because they were playing LSU. Someone tell me what TCU did last season or had returning to deserve a #12 ranking? If you win two consecuctive games in the SEC you get in the top 25 automatically. When it really gets bad is towards the end of the season. Tenn just got curb stomped by the Ducks but you watch they will be back in the Top 25 for meetings with Bama or Florida even though they will have no quality wins. Same goes for all the lower tier SEC teams. Towards the end of the season after they have piled up wins against every directional U they can play they will be back in the top 25 so they can be beat down by LSU and Bama and they can claim a quality win. A couple of years ago when Bama got a rematch against LSU they had wins against 2 Top 25 teams while OSU had wins against 5! Doesn't matter it is the SEC so they got the nod.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it updates every week. Perceptions change as new information comes. Virginia isn't currently ranked because nobody thinks they are only going to have 2 losses on the season. They still have a few more pretty brutal games to go and play one of the tougher schedules this year it's looking like. In fact, I have them with the toughest schedule currently.

People thought Texas was going to be good, so they were ranked to start the season. That perception turned out to be false, and so they dropped out of the top25 completely.

Hypothetical - Based on that logic, if I thought Texas was still going to win the Big 12 this year, you think I should have them ranked in the top 25? Top 20? Of course not. Texas should not be anywhere near the top 50 right now, regardless of what I think they may do in conference play. Dear lord, what you actually do on the field has to account for something. My poll will give much more weight to the resume a team has built up and what has been earned than what my future crystal ball thinks.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bullshit article, sorry.

First it looks at records in bowl games as if they are all even teams playing each other. #3vs#4, #5vs#6, and so on. That's not even close to how bowl games are selected, so it's not even relevant. The SEC sends 8-10 teams to bowl games. Think on that a bit.

It then goes on to make the usual cry that bowl games are played in the south. Yeah, because they are played in the middle of winter and fans are more likely to show up to better weather games. I didn't see a lack of Notre Dame fans in Miami last year. Also goes right back to how bowl games are actually decided.

Then goes on to spill out that same stupid myth that preseason rankings are somekind of advantage. Yet everytime I see this posted on these forums I ask the same question and nobody seems to really answer. Please provide me the example of a team that got screwed out of a National Championship because of preseason polls. At best I hear OkSt, but then they ignore that they lost to a team that only became bowl eligible because of that lost and finished the season undefeated. Or Auburn a decade ago, which is probably the most legitimate claim, yet ignores that maybe people just didn't think Auburn was among the best, and that it had nothing to do with preseason rankings.

It then goes on as if the SEC is somekind of money generating thing for the BCS.

And blah blah blah.

A bunch of bullshit.

You can call it BS all you want but facts are facts. Tell me where any of those games talked about in the article didn't happen. Are the records he listed incorrect? And since you brought up OSU. That year Iowa State would have been ranked in the top 25 if they had been affiliated with the South Eastern Conference. That's the rub. Its not that anyone doesn't agree that LSU and Bama are great teams. I think everyone does. But you are not going to sell me Miss St as a top 25 in November! But that is what will happen. So then the resume can be the "murders row" schedule of the SEC! That is the BS!

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and the SEC is not a money generator for the BCS but they are a huge cash cow for ESPN! And who do you think helps keep these rating systems they way they are? Thats right ESPN! Disney has an investment in the SEC so they want the SEC teams to be highly ranked whether they deserve it or not.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year....

- USC over UNC
- LSU over TCU
- Ole Miss over Texas

SEC loses to AQ schools
- Clemson over Georgia
- Miami over Florida
- Oregon over Tennessee

So Miami and UNC are not in the same power conference?.. because the last time I looked they were both in the ACC.. so . that doesn't make sense at all..

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Miami and UNC are not in the same power conference?.. because the last time I looked they were both in the ACC.. so . that doesn't make sense at all..

Agree should have been wins over AQ schools and losses to AQ schools. But I think you get the point. Not quite the domination "Team SEC" would have you believe or ESPN for that matter.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call it BS all you want but facts are facts. Tell me where any of those games talked about in the article didn't happen. Are the records he listed incorrect? And since you brought up OSU. That year Iowa State would have been ranked in the top 25 if they had been affiliated with the South Eastern Conference. That's the rub. Its not that anyone doesn't agree that LSU and Bama are great teams. I think everyone does. But you are not going to sell me Miss St as a top 25 in November! But that is what will happen. So then the resume can be the "murders row" schedule of the SEC! That is the BS!

Hey, if you want to just call "facts" without any context to it, then the fact is, the SEC has won the past 7 national championships and the best the other teams have to offer haven't been able to beat them.

Game over, cry more.

Claiming a 6-7 Iowa St team would have been ranked in the top25 because they were in the SEC only goes to highlight your own ignorance. Miss St was in the top25 in November because until that point they were undefeated and had 7 wins.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that every time any body else plays a SEC team they get crushed...we fix that and the rankings will change as well.

This makes sense in theory, but not when Chris Fowler from ESPN is voting Florida at 16th and leaving Miami unranked a week after Miami beat you straight up.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if you want to just call "facts" without any context to it, then the fact is, the SEC has won the past 7 national championships and the best the other teams have to offer haven't been able to beat them.

Game over, cry more.

Claiming a 6-7 Iowa St team would have been ranked in the top25 because they were in the SEC only goes to highlight your own ignorance. Miss St was in the top25 in November because until that point they were undefeated and had 7 wins.

I am saying this year Miss St. will be in the Top 25 with wins over NOBODY! I knew I would get the 7 straight line sooner or later. You have an easier path to get to the game than any other conference in the country! Because weaker teams in your conference are precieved as strong because they are in your conference. Nothing to do with performance on the field. My team usually gets the same high pre-season ranking because of name recognition and tradition. Difference is my team has to run the table to get to the big dance where Bama, LSU, UGA, USCe, and Florida don't have to because they play a precieved tough schedule with teams like Miss St. Tenn, and Vandy being ranked in the top 25 come November whether they have actually beaten anyone or not.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, Miami and UNC are both in the ACC...

What's your point? Did Florida crush Miami? No. He simply said whenever someone plays the SEC they get crushed when in reality the SEC is .500 OOC against AQ schools.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree should have been wins over AQ schools and losses to AQ schools. But I think you get the point. Not quite the domination "Team SEC" would have you believe or ESPN for that matter.

:doh:

"losses" yes, you're right. I was on my phone.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love when this fool posts. Makes longhorn fans everywhere cringe.

But, I'll bet he is one heckuva "tailgater". :suds:

gaylonghorns.jpg

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2009 Tennessee Volunteers wonder why they did not get top ten ranking status for their loss??

They did play a very close game versus the #1 team Alabama that week. (2 pt loss)

Or was it the close game versus the #1 Florida team earlier (10 pt loss)

2 losses to a #1 ranked team by a combined 12 pts should by national title consideration for them.

Forget about mediocre wins versus inferior teams.
it is all about losing close games to good team.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am saying this year Miss St. will be in the Top 25 with wins over NOBODY! I knew I would get the 7 straight line sooner or later. You have an easier path to get to the game than any other conference in the country! Because weaker teams in your conference are precieved as strong because they are in your conference. Nothing to do with performance on the field. My team usually gets the same high pre-season ranking because of name recognition and tradition. Difference is my team has to run the table to get to the big dance where Bama, LSU, UGA, USCe, and Florida don't have to because they play a precieved tough schedule with teams like Miss St. Tenn, and Vandy being ranked in the top 25 come November whether they have actually beaten anyone or not.

Here is another line I'm sure you were expecting:

Weak teams? How did the SEC#6 do against the big12 co-champ last year in the cotton bowl?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not this year....

Games the SEC has won against power conferences
- USC over UNC
- LSU over TCU
- Ole Miss over Texas
- Not sure how many of these teams were crushed, I'd say just Texas?

SEC losses to AQ schools
- Clemson over Georgia
- Miami over Florida
- Oregon over Tennessee

Fixed: It should make more sense now.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Giving up 34pts per game is not good;
2) Having the 108th ranked defense is not good;
3) Having your signature win against Rice is not impressive;

You are saying that the above, paired with a loss warrants top 10 consideration? Huh?

I agree and said in my op that you shouldn't drop a team a bunch for losing a close one to a good team. Fine. But that is still not even close to a top 10 ranking. You have teams behind them that have better records, better wins, better stats.