• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are not based solely on what has been done, but based on expectations for the entire season. Those expectations merely change week after week based on the outcomes of the games played.

The #10 team at the end of the season will usually have 2 losses. The #15 team will usually have 2-3 losses and the #20 team usually has 3-4 losses, while the #25 team can have 4-5 losses on the season depending on the schedule.

Now, looking at A&M's schedule, how many losses do you think they will have on the year? Maybe 1? 2 if they lose to LSU? So, where does that put them on the season? Well what do you know, right around the #10 rank where they are currently.

If you are going to bitch about bias in the polls, please atleast get a basic clue on how teams are ranked and what kind of wins/losses they usually have. They lost to the current #1 team by a TD and you think they don't deserve a #10 spot?

The poll isn't a joke, your understanding of the polls is.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. Should not drop much for a 10pt win vs Vandy, agreed. However, the overall resume is not #12 in the country.

Absolutely agree. They have stunk it up on defense all three games. That was supposed to be why they were ranked top ten in the first place, it sure wasn't due to the offense.

But I'm not about to petition anyone to change their votes on the Gamecocks. If they want to keep us near the top all year in hopes that they can sell another top-ten matchup featuring Good Carolina vs. anybody else (Clemson, possible SECCG), then that's on them. But we've got issues that demand repair, or they'll have no choice but drop us if we keep losing.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
michigan dropped 4 spots even though they won, im sorry but that would NEVER happen to an SEC team

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) So losing to a very good team is better than beating a multiple good teams.
2) Struggling vs a bad team is different than struggling vs a bad team, and
3) You can't talk about college football because California barely beat Portland State. (?? Makes about as much sense as your last point).
Losing to Bama by that small a margin, yes you do not drop very far.

Struggling vs. the Akron is worse than beating other teams. You do not understand how bad Arkon is to no get the ranking.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is ridiculous is getting all worked up about a poll after the 3rd game of the season. Chill bitch most of this stuff will work its self out.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to Bama by that small a margin, yes you do not drop very far.

Struggling vs. the Akron is worse than beating other teams. You do not understand how bad Arkon is to no get the ranking.
-
That gets a bit old. Scored a last second TD to make it look better. It is probably to early to really knock anyone down. I am surprised Bama did not lose some support. Seems to be more questions after 2 games than prior to the season. A&M defense looks absolutely terrible. The truth is if we voted based on the first few weeks, you would have teams like Washington #1. I am happy to leave it alone and wait to bitch until about week 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) So losing to a very good team is better than beating a multiple good teams.
2) Struggling vs a bad team is different than struggling vs a bad team, and
3) You can't talk about college football because California barely beat Portland State. (?? Makes about as much sense as your last point).

The Cal game wasn't close at any point. If they were playn your Longhorns They would have video game stats and probably have 60 pts.

It is different when you are bad and then you are Akron, just look it up and you will find out.

Yes, losing to a top 10 team gets as much credit as beating a top 50 team if that. SOS is well respected in college football, it is all the difference in the world. If you play 5- top 15 teams and have 3 losses at the end of the year a team will be ranked higher than a team that plays 3- top 25 teams all yr and only have 2 losses. It is how it works, you act like this is your first rodeo...cmon man.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) A&M at #10? What have they done to deserve that ranking above other teams? Resume:
* Signature win was against Rice (whom they gave up 31 pts to);
* Have given up 101 points in 3 games;
* Defense is ranked 108th in the country;
* Lost to the only good team they played.

Can you somewhat forgive a single digit loss to Bama? Sure. But what else do they have to put them ahead of teams who are undefeated and have beaten quality opponents?

2) South Carolina at #12? Ditto the above. Resume:
* Signature win was against North Carolina (in unimpressive fashion);
* Almost blew a 4td lead to squeak by Vanderbuilt;
* Lost to the only good team they played by double digits.

UCLA is undefeated; Has beaten 2 quality teams (1 ranked); And won both games impressively.
Miami is undefeated; Has beaten a highly ranked team.
Oklahoma is 3-0; Has the #14 ranked defense in the country; Has beaten Tulsa and West Virginia (better than Rice).
Michigan is 3-0; Has beaten Notre Dame; Struggled last weak vs a bad team but still won.

We are going to forgive A&M for struggling vs Rice and for losing, and we will forgive S. Carolina for struggling vs Vandy and losing - But we will not forgive Michigan for struggling vs Akron and being undefeated including a ranked opponent win??????:bullshit:

I think you are onto something here. Maybe they should quit letting only coaches from the SEC vote on the top 25. I mean if they gave the coaches from another conference or two the ability to vote in the polls all of these bad SEC teams would get booted out of the top 25 to make room for teams from those coaches conference. I wonder why they dont let other coaches have a say? :noidea:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are not based solely on what has been done, but based on expectations for the entire season. Those expectations merely change week after week based on the outcomes of the games played.

The #10 team at the end of the season will usually have 2 losses. The #15 team will usually have 2-3 losses and the #20 team usually has 3-4 losses, while the #25 team can have 4-5 losses on the season depending on the schedule.

Now, looking at A&M's schedule, how many losses do you think they will have on the year? Maybe 1? 2 if they lose to LSU? So, where does that put them on the season? Well what do you know, right around the #10 rank where they are currently.

If you are going to bitch about bias in the polls, please atleast get a basic clue on how teams are ranked and what kind of wins/losses they usually have. They lost to the current #1 team by a TD and you think they don't deserve a #10 spot?

The poll isn't a joke, your understanding of the polls is.

I obviously don't understand polls either because I've always been under the impression that the number one team is the best, not that the number one team should finish the season number one. Would it make sense to rank Virginia number 15 because they're going to finish the season as a two loss team with both of their losses to top five teams?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I obviously don't understand polls either because I've always been under the impression that the number one team is the best, not that the number one team should finish the season number one. Would it make sense to rank Virginia number 15 because they're going to finish the season as a two loss team with both of their losses to top five teams?

It depends on SoS. But if Virgina finishes the season with 2 losses, then you can bet they will be in the top25, even with a weaker schedule. Considering Virgina has one of the tougher schedules this year, probably a top10 team if they finish with 2 losses, #15 easy.

People always focus on the negative, and rarely look at the positive parts or how it compares to others. It's always easy to dump on any team, even the #1 team, but when it comes to applying the same standards to others, it all falls apart.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that every time any body else plays a SEC team they get crushed...we fix that and the rankings will change as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that every time any body else plays a SEC team they get crushed...we fix that and the rankings will change as well.

Yep.

Seems there has been a pretty good start at that this year as well.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on SoS. But if Virgina finishes the season with 2 losses, then you can bet they will be in the top25, even with a weaker schedule. Considering Virgina has one of the tougher schedules this year, probably a top10 team if they finish with 2 losses, #15 easy.

People always focus on the negative, and rarely look at the positive parts or how it compares to others. It's always easy to dump on any team, even the #1 team, but when it comes to applying the same standards to others, it all falls apart.

My point is that polls shouldn't predict the future because nobody knows what's going to happen. Just because someone thinks Virginia will finish with two losses doesn't mean that as of now they should be ranked.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that polls shouldn't predict the future because nobody knows what's going to happen. Just because someone thinks Virginia will finish with two losses doesn't mean that as of now they should be ranked.

That's why it updates every week. Perceptions change as new information comes. Virginia isn't currently ranked because nobody thinks they are only going to have 2 losses on the season. They still have a few more pretty brutal games to go and play one of the tougher schedules this year it's looking like. In fact, I have them with the toughest schedule currently.

People thought Texas was going to be good, so they were ranked to start the season. That perception turned out to be false, and so they dropped out of the top25 completely.