• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks want to short Wilson on a new contract

Does Wilson deserve Andy Dalton money?

• Total voters

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? 90% of poster here claim the D and Running Game lead the Hawks.
You non-Hawk fans are hard to please.
Pay him 22+ million and you will claim Seattle made a huge mistake.
Pay him under 20 millon and you will claim Seattle lowballed him.
Can't win with this crowd.

I'm happy he is Seattles problem contract wise, and YOUR problem schedule wise.
Cheers.
Don't make me your scapegoat for a persecution complex.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? 90% of poster here claim the D and Running Game lead the Hawks.
You non-Hawk fans are hard to please.

Pay him 22+ million and you will claim Seattle made a huge mistake.
Pay him under 20 millon and you will claim Seattle lowballed him.
Can't win with this crowd.

I'm happy he is Seattles problem contract wise, and YOUR problem schedule wise.
Cheers.

Totally agree with what you said here. You can't have it both ways. You can't say Wilson isn't a top QB and also say Sea is dumb for not giving him more money. This is a very tough one. Personally, I would not give him HUGE dollars. I think he is good, but i don't think he is great. But, at the same time he is a great fit for his team so that has to be worth something too. I can't talk actual dollars because I'm not interested in looking up every QB contract, but in general the most recent to sign kind of get the most (within reason) because of inflation. Plus, what if you low ball him, he leaves and then you find out it really was him all along? So, not knowing a ton about the negotiations, I'd say if they are offering him Kap or Dalton money they are stupid. He is so much better than those two that it's not even a comparison and he should be getting more than that. But he certainly shouldn't be one of the highest paid QB in the league either.

Bottom line if I am Seattle is I do what I can to keep this run going as long as I can. They still have a pretty young group of stars and he is absolutely one of the most important, so I'm sure they aren't going to let RQ get away.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO paying Wilson top 5 or even top 10 money is insane. He isn't asked to do as much with that offense. It's not that he can't go somewhere else and maybe carry a team, it's just that Seattle's system is built to accommodate QBs, not build around one. That team is built around stout defense and ground pound. In addition, the pressure is taken off the QB because Pete's philosophy is don't force passes, just throw it away. Don't turn it over.

Wilson does bring one thing and that's his legs, but more and more QBs coming out of college these days have the ability to run/scramble. That even concerns me more with Wilson because injuries can sometimes happen to those QBs (although Wilson is smart while he runs and the guy is built for his height).

I like Wilson and would love for Seattle to retain him, but I'd like to keep it around $16M a year. 5 years $80M would be perfect.
There are several teams that would pay him Top 3 money. There within lies the problem. The Seahaks are going to have to pay him that kind of money or he will be playing for another team. With that said there is less than a 5% chance he plays with anyone other than Seattle IMO.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't get Aaron Rodger money... But he should be somewhere near the top ... Just not the highest paid... Wilson deserves a big pay day, but it can't be some ridiculous contract that sucks up the teams cap .... Right now I'm hearing his agent who is a baseball agent, is wanting WAY too much guaranteed money... So that's what's holding things up right now....

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't get Aaron Rodger money... But he should be somewhere near the top ... Just not the highest paid... Wilson deserves a big pay day, but it can't be some ridiculous contract that sucks up the teams cap .... Right now I'm hearing his agent who is a baseball agent is wanting WAY too much guaranteed money... So that's what's holding things up right now....

I think that is a pretty fair landing spot for all involved.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about here. It's just negotiating tactics. But if Seattle is taking a hard-line stance, they run the risk of alienating Wilson.

That's ridiculous. He likely could get $50 mil of that number alone in guarantees on the open market with a 6-7 year $100-120 mil contract. Taking $65 mil is not taking below market, it's giving up nearly half of his value.

Go back and look at these recent QB contracts...Ben, Dalton, Brees, Romo, Flacco, Ryan, etc. and show me the ones that G$ is north of $65mil...not counting roster bonuses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree with the bolded. Everyone wants to talk about the other components effect on Wilson, but not the other way around. He greatly helps take pressure off Lynch, especially with all the ZR they run. And he helps the defense by sustaining drives and keeping them off the field. And that's aside from how he compensates for a bad oline and receiving corps. If they didn't have Wilson they would still probably have a top 10 running game and defense, but they wouldn't be at the top like they are now, and they would likely miss the playoffs. He makes everyone better.

Agreed...clearly he makes plays that contributes the success. And...he has been the difference maker on a team that was playoff ready everywhere but the QB position.

My point here is SEA doesn't need an Aaron Rodgers stat line every week to win games, even playoff games...that makes Rodgers the dominant reason for their success imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league trend seems to be if you find your franchise QB you have to pony up. More often than not even non-elite QBs are getting the highest paid contract ever. I could be wrong but I think even Flacco's contract was the highest ever at one point. As the cap keeps expanding I doubt that trend will go away.

It will...it'll be one of these Flacco type deals...$120 mil with 50+ G$...very few of these 100 mil contracts guarantee much over $50 mil when you break them down. Ben's deal is $87 mil /4 yrs, but $31G.

For the agents the top end of the contract matters because they get paid off the gross.