• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks want to short Wilson on a new contract

Does Wilson deserve Andy Dalton money?

• Total voters

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about here. It's just negotiating tactics. But if Seattle is taking a hard-line stance, they run the risk of alienating Wilson.

RW would be smart to take a little less than market value, $65 mil over 6 yrs...all guaranteed...sounds like good middle ground.

That's ridiculous. He likely could get $50 mil of that number alone in guarantees on the open market with a 6-7 year $100-120 mil contract. Taking $65 mil is not taking below market, it's giving up nearly half of his value.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about here. It's just negotiating tactics. But if Seattle is taking a hard-line stance, they run the risk of alienating Wilson.

That's ridiculous. He likely could get $50 mil of that number alone in guarantees on the open market with a 6-7 year $100-120 mil contract. Taking $65 mil is not taking below market, it's giving up nearly half of his value.
NFL fans are having a tough time dealing with just how much a franchise QB is worth on the market, with the rising cap and lack of quality QBs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell 'em to stick it where the sun dont shine, and give Jerrah a call. Of course Jerrah is out of cap money, but he can figure out a way.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to get paid, there's no doubt about that. I'm sure he feels far more worth than the entry offer as well he should. What he ends up taking, and when he takes it will tell us a lot. If it's a dime over 20m/yr he's about himself and his payday. Just my 2c.
Sorry but the majority of players going for their 2nd contract are about themselves and rightly so. They may take a hometown discount on their 3rd or 4th? Beside the union hates when players take less. It hurts future negotiations.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it is about himself. I think RW thinks highly of his skills and as a business man wants what the market will bear. I'm guessing 100m/ 4yrs is what it's going to take at the end. Sounds expensive right now, but just wait until the Colts have to sign Luck to a extension.
Yep if they drag it out a new market with Luck and Flacco will set the new minimum negotiating level.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but the majority of players going for their 2nd contract are about themselves and rightly so. They may take a hometown discount on their 3rd or 4th? Beside the union hates when players take less. It hurts future negotiations.
I didn't say I would blame him, but there are a lot of folks around here that expect him to take a discount now. I simply said where my bar is that would tell me which way he is going. He talks about team first and we will see how far those words go in this process. If he ends up breaking the team and getting a huge payday then so be it. I might be a bit disappointed in him, but I'm not going to go crazy over it or anything.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO paying Wilson top 5 or even top 10 money is insane.
Say what? It would be great if he agrees to a deal that pays him less, but it's not gonna happen. He's getting top 10 money for sure, and he absolutely deserves it. Just plain goofy to say otherwise.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. Wilson is definitely in the driving seat for these negotiations. It's his freedom to stay or go after next season, so if the franchise shows you no respect for your talents, then leave.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Wilson is definitely in the driving seat for these negotiations. It's his freedom to stay or go after next season, so if the franchise shows you no respect for your talents, then leave.
Just worry about what you will do without Peyton. Wilson isn't going anywhere......

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Technically, SEA has him under team control for as long as they want to franchise him. The money after the first franchise tag would be obscene & basically prohibitive, but they could tag him for 2016 at around $20 mil. After that, he gets something like a 44% raise each time he is tagged.

They would be better off just coming to a deal that might be more than they want to spend. The reality is that with QB rising salaries & consistent annual cap increases, what might be a top 5 salary now, could be a below market or average salary for the position in the years beyond the guaranteed money.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be better off just coming to a deal that might be more than they want to spend. The reality is that with QB rising salaries & consistent annual cap increases, what might be a top 5 salary now, could be a below market or average salary for the position in the years beyond the guaranteed money.
Right on the money. Whatever deal is agreed upon this off-season, it will seem like too much to some but within two years there will be lesser players getting more $$. That's just how this works.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd consider it slightly insulting if I were in Russ' shoes. Both Wilson and the Seahawks should have a good idea of what his market value is and this isn't it.

Why? 90% of poster here claim the D and Running Game lead the Hawks.
You non-Hawk fans are hard to please.
Pay him 22+ million and you will claim Seattle made a huge mistake.
Pay him under 20 millon and you will claim Seattle lowballed him.
Can't win with this crowd.

I'm happy he is Seattles problem contract wise, and YOUR problem schedule wise.
Cheers.