• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Redskins have yet to open talks with contract-year LT Trent Williams.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins have yet to open talks with contract-year LT Trent Williams.
Drafted prior to the new CBA, Williams has a $13.7M cap hit in the final year of his rookie deal. He's already one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the league, and could push for in excess of $20M guaranteed. 26-year-old Williams has three Pro Bowls in his first five seasons. He was PFF's No. 12 left tackle in 2014. Apr 11 - 4:34 PM
Source: Washington Post

Trent Williams fires his agent
Trent Williams dismisses agent Ben Dogra - The Washington Post

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are they are a little busy right now prepping for the draft. Add in the fact that Williams just fired his agent, and I wouldnt expect anything on this for another month as I do believe there is a 30 day cooling off period after a player separates from his agent.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no reason to hold contract negotiations with Williams until this season plays out. He's suffered from a number of injuries over the years and this season will give a pretty good indication as to how much wear and tear has taken out of his game. I'm sure that there will be some who will suggest that locking down a long term contract now is important........but........is it? I say no! New GM SM has stated flatly that the evaluation process is a continuous one. It began for him this season, but that by no means suggest that it ends after this one.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no reason to hold contract negotiations with Williams until this season plays out. He's suffered from a number of injuries over the years and this season will give a pretty good indication as to how much wear and tear has taken out of his game. I'm sure that there will be some who will suggest that locking down a long term contract now is important........but........is it? I say no! New GM SM has stated flatly that the evaluation process is a continuous one. It began for him this season, but that by no means suggest that it ends after this one.

Then what's your backup plan if he leaves? Even with injuries, Trent has shown he's still one of the best. He didn't make the Pro-Bowl based on looks or reputation. And let's not talk about any of the tackles in this year's draft. First of all, they could bust. And, more fundamentally, none of them seem like a solid answer, much less one that could replace the production Trent has had over his stay here. If we let him go, he'll be one of the most sought after players in 2016 free agency.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then what's your backup plan if he leaves? Even with injuries, Trent has shown he's still one of the best. He didn't make the Pro-Bowl based on looks or reputation. And let's not talk about any of the tackles in this year's draft. First of all, they could bust. And, more fundamentally, none of them seem like a solid answer, much less one that could replace the production Trent has had over his stay here. If we let him go, he'll be one of the most sought after players in 2016 free agency.

If he leaves he leaves!!.....but honestly why worry about worse case scenarios?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely cannot let a young talented Left Tackle go he is only 26

Get a gun...tie him up in a room and force him to sign a new contract. Look if the guy wants to leave, or even test the market, there's absolutely nothing that the team can do to force the issue......now or in the future.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the overriding reasons why you want to renegotiate with him now is to free us cap room this year. IMO, we need to keep him, he has another 4-6 years of solid play left. But as shark pointed out, he just switched agents and our FO is in the process for preparing for the draft. Nothing will happen on this front, if at all, for atleast 30-60 days.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are they are a little busy right now prepping for the draft. Add in the fact that Williams just fired his agent, and I wouldnt expect anything on this for another month as I do believe there is a 30 day cooling off period after a player separates from his agent.

So I gotta question regarding the agents. His last agent negotiated the deal that included the 2015 season, his cut is substantial. So if Trent fires him and works out a new deal before the upcomming season with a different agent will that first guy get cut out of his cut of the original deal for 2015? It's hard for me to feel sorry for those snake oil salesmen also known as agents but this hardly sounds fair.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I gotta question regarding the agents. His last agent negotiated the deal that included the 2015 season, his cut is substantial. So if Trent fires him and works out a new deal before the upcomming season with a different agent will that first guy get cut out of his cut of the original deal for 2015? It's hard for me to feel sorry for those snake oil salesmen also known as agents but this hardly sounds fair.
I'm not 100% sure, but he gets his cut from the original value off the deal he negotiated. Not sure of the mechanics of how he gets paid, but he may have received this total cut reminding when he gets fired.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id prefer to have him signed now, just so we dont have to worry about it. But really Sty is right, theres no need to do it now. If he wants to leave, he'll leave, if we're gonna pay him we can pay him later. There's no need to be the Phillies and ruin your organization by extending somebody to early.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id prefer to have him signed now, just so we dont have to worry about it. But really Sty is right, theres no need to do it now. If he wants to leave, he'll leave, if we're gonna pay him we can pay him later. There's no need to be the Phillies and ruin your organization by extending somebody to early.
If it were the Phils they'd wait till Trent was 30 and then give him 5 years/100 million

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also recently listening to Ross Tucker and Greg Cosell on a podcast mentioning this take and that as a result the the emphasis on a having a bookend RT becomes even more paramount.

Excerpt

It’s heresy to suggest that left tackle is perhaps not significantly more important than other offensive line positions. But Greg Cosell of NFL Films, hardly known as a renegade, suggests that the importance of the position is overblown.

“I think you can make an argument that it’s not necessarily true [that LT is the most vital cog on the line],” Cosell said on an MMQB.com podcast (via JoeBucsFan.com.) “Most coaches, when they put together pass protection concepts, they will slide the protection to one side or the other. You can slide the protection to the left. You can slide the protection to the right. The left tackle, just by gospel now these days, has become the most important position. But it’s not necessarily that way.”

Cosell and Andy Benoit, the podcast host, then talked about how the proliferation of shotgun formations have decreased the importance of protecting the quarterback’s blindside. In addition, most passing schemes do not involve many seven-step drops and when quarterbacks do drop deep teams utilize seven-man protection schemes. You don’t really need a prime performer on one side of the line if you are can get him help in the most challenging situations.

This line of thinking has been out there among analysts for several years now. What will matter regarding the Redskins and Williams is to what extent Scot McCloughan and Jay Gruden buy into it.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting point made by Ross Tucker was that because of right hand dominance, teams tend to slide left more than right.

As a result, the Left side often gets more help than the Right side, who's shortcomings can be seen even more glaringly at times.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I buy that about the LT being devalued. Every game we see the defense's top pass rusher coming hard around the edge from the right side, often one on one with the LT. I've seen how life can suck with crappy corners, I don't want to see crappy LT play again too.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you're right, he'll not renegotiate now and choose to leave.

Didn't say that. But if we're willing to renegotiate with him because we think he'll do well in the long run, why not do it now? There are risks for both sides to doing it now -- and later -- but he's a cornerstone of our team. As we don't have a replacement for him, it would benefit us to start talking to him now. And I believe the Redskins website said that initial feelers were sent out to both Trent and Kerrigan.