• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The real fear with the Jackson signing

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK just throwing this out there. Many have been saying sine we signed him that he is a me player. Unfocused, not a team player. A locker room distraction and a ticking time bomb.

Now allow me to just throw this out there. Lets assume for a moment all the above mentioned issues hold a bit of truth. Even with all that he has been the top WR on the eagles team. Made three Pro Bowls and basically demanded double coverage to the point where teams actually game plan against him. The real fear that he strikes in the haters is this.....

What happens if the above mentioned problems were either A. over blown, or B. end up getting corrected in a new place. As dangerous as he has been as an unfocused selfish player. What happens if he does dedicate himself to football?? Even if just for this coming season.

If I were a fan of the other teams (and they know who they are), I would be a tad bit upset seeing him go to the Skins as well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that he may have been disgruntled. I have no doubt that he may have diva tendencies. But he is a 1300yd a year, multiple pro bowl WR. You telling me that they couldn't manage that ego? They got nothing for him....NOTHING. In fact, they are paying him more this year to play for us than we are! No, this was a case of Kelly having a bigger ego and refusing to be flexible in dealing with an impact player. If this is the way he continues to operate, they are going to be in trouble, as this league is full of big egos that require massaging every now and then.

In a way, Kelly's actions remind of of Shanahan. Shanahan could never deal with the egos either. He and Elway hated each other. We all saw how he imploded with RG3. This ain't college, Kelly. You can't hold a scholarship over a player's head to get him to toe the line.

Finally, I look forward to watching a motivated DJ play against the Eagles. Their secondary is already their achilles heel, I expect a huge game from him in that first meeting. When Jackson is motivated, he can be a terror. Ask LaRon Landry.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is very possible Shark. For the next 3 years he will be playing for his last big contract to follow.
Anything that is less than desired wrt his attitude, effort, off field behavior, and overall commitment will throw up a huge red flag to us or anyone else who wants to sign a 30 year old who is probably at or close to his peak with nowhere to go but down. And as long as there is no baggage and bullshit to go with that, that's fine. A 30 year old DJax who has an improved attitude and commitment is much more desirable than a TO type guy.

This is all assuming he makes it to the end of this contract before we extend him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is, team are always willing to take a shot on a guy with talent. There will always be off field issues with NFL players. Its part of the culture to a degree. And had we not signed him, there were eight other teams lined up to make him an offer. I think this serves to motivate and focus Jackson... which is a very good thing for the Skins. Also says alot that we were his first and damn near only choice from the moment the Eagles released him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Certainly nothing is guaranteed and anything is possible. However - there are also good signs with this situation (which you alluded to). These include 1.) working with a guy perceived to be a players coach. 2.) working with players who embrace him 3.) admitting that he made mistakes and showing a good attitude right now & 4.) being at an age where a lot of folks mature and start to turn their life around. He also appears to be a pretty smart guy who can figure certain things out.

No doubt a lot of Philly fans and haters will have a different opinion - I might act the same way if I were in their shoes. Only time will tell.

BTW - there was a clip on Extremeskins showing Jackson's reaction during training camp about the Cooper situation and he appeared to be anything but a me-first player in that situation so their certainly is hope.

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the real fear. I believe this offense is going to be a top five offense. It already was, during RGIII's rookie campaign, minus DeSean, Jordan Reed, and Andre Roberts. Garcon was hurt the majority of that year. Now, we have all of those guys. Plus, a healty Garcon. Word is RGIII is healthy. Of course, there is Alfred Morris. This offense is loaded. The only thing we need is a stud RT and we are in business. Now, back to DeSean. I believe this year he will be motivated. Number one, I believe he wants to show his whole team, as well as the league that a mistake was made, when he was released. Number two, he is in his prime and it would behoove him to be on his best behavior because this is likely the big contract that he will get. Not to mention, his chances will be increasingly limited, should he not be. With that being said, I expect DeSean to do business as usual, this season.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Griffin rebounds and injuries don't decimate the team it should be a good offense.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only problem I see with wr djax signing is wr roberts sounds kind of pissed roberts coming out publicly saying stuff like I came to dc to be the'number 2 I mean who does this? Or I don't even know my place on this team. I hope roberts don't turn into a cancer

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK just throwing this out there. Many have been saying sine we signed him that he is a me player. Unfocused, not a team player. A locker room distraction and a ticking time bomb.

Now allow me to just throw this out there. Lets assume for a moment all the above mentioned issues hold a bit of truth. Even with all that he has been the top WR on the eagles team. Made three Pro Bowls and basically demanded double coverage to the point where teams actually game plan against him. The real fear that he strikes in the haters is this.....

What happens if the above mentioned problems were either A. over blown, or B. end up getting corrected in a new place. As dangerous as he has been as an unfocused selfish player. What happens if he does dedicate himself to football?? Even if just for this coming season.

If I were a fan of the other teams (and they know who they are), I would be a tad bit upset seeing him go to the Skins as well.

Shark, don't you love it when fans think a "me player" can't be a good part of a team? I would argue, there has never been a Championship NFL team without at least ONE, or multiple "me players" on the roster. These are athletes at the highest level of their sport...Reality is, there are a lot of "me players" on every team.

I think DJax up to this point, has been dedicated to football. Incredible production so far in his career. Has it been 100%? Who knows, but if he's only been giving 75% and the Redskins can squeeze another 5% out of him...It's a home run signing, and will change the landscape of the NFCE.