• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're like a fucking Metro division all-star team.

J. Staal and Guentzel from PITT

Orlov and Kuznetsov from WSH

Skjei and Fast (not dressed) from NYR

DeAngelo (not dressed) from NYR and PHI

B. Lemieux (not dressed) from NYR and PHI

Noesen from NJ

Sprinkle in a few veterans from other squads and a bunch of homegrown talent and they have an absolute monster of a team. That team is then of course coached by one Rod Brind'Amour, who we happily claim as a Flyer, although he technically played a few more games as a Cane.

It's watching games with teams like Carolina that make me think the Flyers are still a long way away. Just looking at it subjectively here, the forwards on the Flyers and Canes ranked for me is..

Aho (26)
Guentzel (29)
Svechnikov (23)
Konecny (26)
Jarvis (21)
Tippett (24)
Necas (25)
Teravainen (29)
Farabee (23)

Hopefully healthy Couturier returns and he climbs that list, but I don't think I'd put him in that top 3, even healthy.

On defense the pictures is just as bleak, though the Flyers are at least younger there.
Slavin (29)
Pesce (29)
Sanheim (27)
Skjei (29)
Burns (38)
York (23)
Orlov (32)

And in goal i'm taking Andersen over Ersson too.

Obviously the Canes are a cup contender so you're comparing them to one of the best, but the Flyers have a long way to go to get on their level.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say buy Atkinson out and put Johansen on LTIR. Funny how that dude was injury free and playing prior to his trade. But yeah he not good at the hockey no more.
Atkinson is on the last year of his contract. Three things will happen with him:

1- We hope he gets better than this year
2- Trade him at the deadline
3- Play out contract and not resign him.
It's watching games with teams like Carolina that make me think the Flyers are still a long way away. Just looking at it subjectively here, the forwards on the Flyers and Canes ranked for me is..

Aho (26)
Guentzel (29)
Svechnikov (23)
Konecny (26)
Jarvis (21)
Tippett (24)
Necas (25)
Teravainen (29)
Farabee (23)

Hopefully healthy Couturier returns and he climbs that list, but I don't think I'd put him in that top 3, even healthy.

On defense the pictures is just as bleak, though the Flyers are at least younger there.
Slavin (29)
Pesce (29)
Sanheim (27)
Skjei (29)
Burns (38)
York (23)
Orlov (32)

And in goal i'm taking Andersen over Ersson too.

Obviously the Canes are a cup contender so you're comparing them to one of the best, but the Flyers have a long way to go to get on their level.
I agree with most all of this. : I would give Errson the nod over Andersson because he is only a rookie and got tired playing more than anticipated this year. Errson has the way better future as Andersson is 34

York you have ranked way to low. He is better than Skei Burns and Sanheim right now and in a few years he will be the best one of all those listed IMO

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, all of sudden we have a bunch of injured players and some old dudes that maybe or should be shown the door!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I've decided I want them to trade TK. It makes more sense than trading Farabee, even though I like TK more. Farabee is 3 years younger and probably 3M cheaper. And I think they'd get more in return for TK. Plus Farabee has more room to grow in terms of development. Maybe gets to TK-level production in the next couple years.

It would hurt, obviously. Leaps and bounds my favorite Flyer. But gotta get the timeline, pipeline, and cap aligned. I think we'd be heading down the exact same road as they did with G/Jake, just with TK/Couturier. Too much money spent to invest in high dollar improvements. Too talented to end up at the top of the draft. And too old to spend 3-5 years developing later picks in to solid NHL contributors (or waiting for Michkov to come over).

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've decided I want them to trade TK. It makes more sense than trading Farabee, even though I like TK more. Farabee is 3 years younger and probably 3M cheaper. And I think they'd get more in return for TK. Plus Farabee has more room to grow in terms of development. Maybe gets to TK-level production in the next couple years.

It would hurt, obviously. Leaps and bounds my favorite Flyer. But gotta get the timeline, pipeline, and cap aligned. I think we'd be heading down the exact same road as they did with G/Jake, just with TK/Couturier. Too much money spent to invest in high dollar improvements. Too talented to end up at the top of the draft. And too old to spend 3-5 years developing later picks in to solid NHL contributors (or waiting for Michkov to come over).
I will agree with this but i dont ever think Farabee will get to TK production.
He may get to TK production in points but will never be a TK on the PK or leadership or drawing penalties or blocked shots.
So when you say TK production he does a lot more for this team than score goals and collect points.
I do agree TK should be traded at some point so we can go back to rebuilding correctly.
Maybe all three should go Farabee Frost and TK?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree with this but i dont ever think Farabee will get to TK production.
He may get to TK production in points but will never be a TK on the PK or leadership or drawing penalties or blocked shots.
So when you say TK production he does a lot more for this team than score goals and collect points.
I do agree TK should be traded at some point so we can go back to rebuilding correctly.
Maybe all three should go Farabee Frost and TK?

Ya, maybe. Frost for sure if we're glued to Torts. If he's going to bench Frost needing a goal in a must-win final game of the season to make the playoffs, with this group of players, there's not really a point in keeping him. I actually think he's just as likely to be gone as Atkinson is. Torts doesn't like him and Briere/Jones are on the Torts wagon.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, maybe. Frost for sure if we're glued to Torts. If he's going to bench Frost needing a goal in a must-win final game of the season to make the playoffs, with this group of players, there's not really a point in keeping him. I actually think he's just as likely to be gone as Atkinson is. Torts doesn't like him and Briere/Jones are on the Torts wagon.
Frost had 1 goal and 1 assist in the final 11 games so its not like he would've done anything even if he was out there.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what this means for Carter Hart.
Grim Reaper Halloween GIF