• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thread for the Flyers' 2024 Off Season. we shall see what transpires in the draft and what Briere and Company derive to make this team better for the 2024-2025 NHL Season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers should buy out Peterson this year. Saves $4.0 this year and adds $2.0 next year. That $2.0 comes in the same year that $10.0 comes off the cap between Johansen and Adkinson.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should offer Staal a coaching position within the organization encouraging him to retire. The Briere bunch should work overtime for awhile to get somebody to take Risto. Gosh, we really have to find a way to move this leech.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what the Briere Bunch does with Atkinson. At 34 years of age and one year left on his contract, I wonder...

The article is misleading though, Atkinson and Hayes situations are totally different. Atkinson is at the end of his career for sure. Hayes has a few left but his lazy style of play was never going to fit with Torts.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct Crispy. Some of these sports pundits are flat-out bored this time of the year waiting for the draft. Misleading aside, the question remains what Briere is going to do with Atkinson who really may be closer to retirement than he would like to admit. Certainly Staal is pretty close as well. WE shall see...

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct Crispy. Some of these sports pundits are flat-out bored this time of the year waiting for the draft. Misleading aside, the question remains what Briere is going to do with Atkinson who really may be closer to retirement than he would like to admit. Certainly Staal is pretty close as well. WE shall see...
I think I read if they buy him out it'll be like 2.35 mil for this season and 1.7 for the following. Not sure that's correct.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I think that is right. And they should go that route!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article Crispy and I think we got a damn good Hockey Player!! The touch of Briere for sure!

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read if they buy him out it'll be like 2.35 mil for this season and 1.7 for the following. Not sure that's correct.
The numbers are correct which makes me think they bite the bullet and let him play out his last year. It will be surprising if one of the following isn't bought out: Atkinson, Johansen or Peterson.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m so jealous of the Canes.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m so jealous of the Canes.
They're like a fucking Metro division all-star team.

J. Staal and Guentzel from PITT

Orlov and Kuznetsov from WSH

Skjei and Fast (not dressed) from NYR

DeAngelo (not dressed) from NYR and PHI

B. Lemieux (not dressed) from NYR and PHI

Noesen from NJ

Sprinkle in a few veterans from other squads and a bunch of homegrown talent and they have an absolute monster of a team. That team is then of course coached by one Rod Brind'Amour, who we happily claim as a Flyer, although he technically played a few more games as a Cane.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic:

Atkinson, Johansen decisions forthcoming

The future is hazy for two veteran players with significant salary-cap hits. Cam Atkinson has one season left on his deal at $5.875 million, while Ryan Johansen, whom the Flyers had to take on to extract a 2025 first-round pick out of Colorado in the Sean Walker deal and who did not play after that because of a hip injury, has one year left at $4 million.

Regarding Atkinson, Briere said: “We need more talks internally. … Cam was really good early in the season. I look at him and Sean (Couturier), it’s tough to evaluate them after missing a full year, almost two years for Sean. We have to be careful with that.”

“In Ryan Johansen’s case, all I can tell you is I don’t expect him to be back. … We’re dealing on the medical side with him. I think the No. 1 thing for him is to get him back to being able to play at this time. He doesn’t think he can play hockey.”

If Johansen can’t play, that would open the door for the Flyers to stash him on long-term injured reserve, but would prevent them from buying him out.

An Atkinson buyout would save the Flyers approximately $3.16 million on the cap next season, according to CapFriendly. Atkinson’s dead-money cap hit would be approximately $2.36 million in 2024-25, and $1.76 million in 2025-26.

Atkinson was scoreless in his final 23 games this season. He was a frequent healthy scratch in the second half.

“First half of the season, I had a lot of juice in the tank and was playing good and scoring goals and putting up points,” Atkinson said on Wednesday. “The second half kind of got away from me a little bit as far as the wear and tear and grind. I’m not going to sugarcoat it that way. But, I still think I have a lot of juice left in the tank.”

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic:

Atkinson, Johansen decisions forthcoming

The future is hazy for two veteran players with significant salary-cap hits. Cam Atkinson has one season left on his deal at $5.875 million, while Ryan Johansen, whom the Flyers had to take on to extract a 2025 first-round pick out of Colorado in the Sean Walker deal and who did not play after that because of a hip injury, has one year left at $4 million.

Regarding Atkinson, Briere said: “We need more talks internally. … Cam was really good early in the season. I look at him and Sean (Couturier), it’s tough to evaluate them after missing a full year, almost two years for Sean. We have to be careful with that.”

“In Ryan Johansen’s case, all I can tell you is I don’t expect him to be back. … We’re dealing on the medical side with him. I think the No. 1 thing for him is to get him back to being able to play at this time. He doesn’t think he can play hockey.”

If Johansen can’t play, that would open the door for the Flyers to stash him on long-term injured reserve, but would prevent them from buying him out.

An Atkinson buyout would save the Flyers approximately $3.16 million on the cap next season, according to CapFriendly. Atkinson’s dead-money cap hit would be approximately $2.36 million in 2024-25, and $1.76 million in 2025-26.

Atkinson was scoreless in his final 23 games this season. He was a frequent healthy scratch in the second half.

“First half of the season, I had a lot of juice in the tank and was playing good and scoring goals and putting up points,” Atkinson said on Wednesday. “The second half kind of got away from me a little bit as far as the wear and tear and grind. I’m not going to sugarcoat it that way. But, I still think I have a lot of juice left in the tank.”
I say buy Atkinson out and put Johansen on LTIR. Funny how that dude was injury free and playing prior to his trade. But yeah he not good at the hockey no more.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ristolainen, Drysdale injuries

The Flyers announced on Thursday that Rasmus Ristolainen had surgery on a ruptured triceps tendon that will require three months of rehab, but he’s expected to be ready for training camp. That surgery was delayed because they were hopeful Ristolainen might be able to return at some point before the season ended.

“If you have a chance to rehab for the longevity of players, it’s just safer to try to rehab,” Briere said.

Drysdale “might need surgery on (his) lower-body, core area,” Briere said. “Jamie was pretty banged up. It was impressive, the character that he showed, coming back from the offseason surgery that he had, being traded, trying to adapt to a new team, couldn’t skate at 100 percent. That’s kind of the key to his game. So I’m excited to see Jamie Drysdale fully healthy next season. I think we’re going to see a different player.”

In 24 games with the Flyers, Drysdale managed just two goals and three assists for five points. As a player who has to be mobile to reach his full potential, it’s safe to say that how he looks in training camp in September will be one of the early storylines.