• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting that arena eyecandy. :drool:

Still hope the Seattle arena gets built. Would be amazing to have a Stern-less NBA and NHL franchise up here. Hope that can happen. NBA is such a dysfunctional mess right now with it's league leadership and the idiotic gutless agenda that moved so many teams to small media markets, may still be years before anything can happen. Not to mention all those guaranteed contracts and making sure only a couple teams have any hope of making the finals year after year.

Don't know shit about hockey, but I could probably enjoy it if we got a team. I'm the type that cannot support a team unless it is from my home town.

Always enjoyed going to Sonics games though, and would definitely go to the games if we got a team. I hate the NBA and everything it stands for but it does provide good entertainment. I think of the NBA more as a circus, not something I would follow vigorously or watch on TV, but is good entertainment in person.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suffering through an entire season of Mariners baseball will make it so much sweeter when the Mariners finally field a winning team.

Or even worse, I'll just be a snob about it like I am with the Seahawks. I've said numerous times how much I resent how quickly this city is to jump on the bandwagon, and how quickly they will jump right off of it.

I don't think that's a far characterization for the Mariner fans at all. We have always been a loyal base long before they ever did anything right. Lou came in, Jr, Randy, etc and the team got good. The base grew large. They got into the playoffs and the city was behind them. They tied the record for most regular season wins and the city was on fire. Now to this point you are thinking, that's bandwagon right there. Possibly so. What was a decent base when the sucked grew huge, but even though that 2001 season was the last good season they had, it took a decade before those that jumped on board abandoned it and it wasn't because they were losing, but why.

Most of us barely follow it because we are sick of Lincoln, Armstrong, and the entire mismanagement of the team going back to when Lou got sick of it and bailed. They raise ticket prices, cut payroll, and try to use bobbleheads to get us in the stadium instead of building a quality team and earning it. I haven't taken my daughter to a game in 3 years and won't again until the organization turns around. Not the team, the organization. I will not supply one fucking dime of my hard earned money for a management team that devoid of a fucking clue. I will still follow them from pitchers and catchers reporting to the all-star break because I like the sport. I don't care if they win 90 games this year. As long as Lincoln is still there and in charge I won't support them. And I'm not alone. They do not deserve our loyalty. They abused it for years and now have earned our deep rooted scorn.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now... after Arizona, UCLA and Cal I don't see a team that is clearly better than Washington. Never know... I also like Nigel Williams-Goss quite a bit. You guys could sneak in with a couple marquee wins.

Just don't have any serious bangers with size. But next year, we get a huge injection of that onto the roster.
But very impressed with the defense this team is playing with right now.

Very impressed that we landed the commits from PG David Crisp and PF Marquese Chriss.

Local high school here, Rainier Beach, has one of the best classes in the nation right now with the "Big 3" being PG David Crisp, G Dejounte Murray, and F Djuan Piper. It was important for Romar to tap that early and hopefully we are in play for the other two. Gonzaga and mulitple PAC schools are after them as well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's a far characterization for the Mariner fans at all. We have always been a loyal base long before they ever did anything right. Lou came in, Jr, Randy, etc and the team got good. The base grew large. They got into the playoffs and the city was behind them. They tied the record for most regular season wins and the city was on fire. Now to this point you are thinking, that's bandwagon right there. Possibly so. What was a decent base when the sucked grew huge, but even though that 2001 season was the last good season they had, it took a decade before those that jumped on board abandoned it and it wasn't because they were losing, but why.

Most of us barely follow it because we are sick of Lincoln, Armstrong, and the entire mismanagement of the team going back to when Lou got sick of it and bailed. They raise ticket prices, cut payroll, and try to use bobbleheads to get us in the stadium instead of building a quality team and earning it. I haven't taken my daughter to a game in 3 years and won't again until the organization turns around. Not the team, the organization. I will not supply one fucking dime of my hard earned money for a management team that devoid of a fucking clue. I will still follow them from pitchers and catchers reporting to the all-star break because I like the sport. I don't care if they win 90 games this year. As long as Lincoln is still there and in charge I won't support them. And I'm not alone. They do not deserve our loyalty. They abused it for years and now have earned our deep rooted scorn.

That is usually what happens. There is typically the strong base, then the casuals hop in, sort of like what happened with the Seahawks. Seriously, if I have to listen to another woman give her analysis of the Seahawks game I think I will shoot myself.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU basketball sucks. Herb needs to go. At least the baseball team is looking to have its best shot at getting back to the College World Series for the first time since the sanctions.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't have any serious bangers with size. But next year, we get a huge injection of that onto the roster.
But very impressed with the defense this team is playing with right now.

Very impressed that we landed the commits from PG David Crisp and PF Marquese Chriss.

Local high school here, Rainier Beach, has one of the best classes in the nation right now with the "Big 3" being PG David Crisp, G Dejounte Murray, and F Djuan Piper. It was important for Romar to tap that early and hopefully we are in play for the other two. Gonzaga and mulitple PAC schools are after them as well.

For those who are unaware, Rainier Beach is like our version of Compton.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only like CBB because your team is a decent team. I remember when the U of A chant was "If BB sucks we have the Ice Cats." Now when BB sucks you have nothing, except that win over Oregon to get my boys another PAC championship. Thanks for that U of A. Oh and classes start tomorrow. I am teaching online this term, so my time is free for at least 6 hours a day :).

Mamba what happened to the fishing thread? I am fly fishing the fuck out of the western states this year.

Oh, and to add to my last post... our baseball team won the WS a couple years back. Their 4th. Plus, that chant you made up doesn't exist... because they don't ever suck at BB. :suds:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is usually what happens. There is typically the strong base, then the casuals hop in, sort of like what happened with the Seahawks. Seriously, if I have to listen to another woman give her analysis of the Seahawks game I think I will shoot myself.

Right, but the point was those who did get on board were not quick to leave and eventually only left when it became clear the organization didn't really care about winning or were entirely incompetent on how to do so.

A typical bandwagon city is just as fast to jump off the bus as get on it. I wouldn't call what happened between '95 and '05 that. There was a lot more interest and some bandwagon fans, but there were also a whole new generation of fans who simply discovered baseball and liked it. They loved it enough to still pack in the ballpark for a team that was losing 90+ games a year. Not every city does that.

I'm not one of those. I was a life long baseball fan. I remember the first season for the M's. First time I went to a game was about a month after their first season started. My mom took me to at least one game a month for most of those years and back then you could walk up just before the game and get tickets right behind the bag on first base fairly cheap. You could just go on the spur of the moment. I remember when they first brought in the San Diego chicken to work the crowd and all of those funny nose and glasses nights and other silly events to get fans in because the baseball wasn't good. But it was baseball. Pro baseball and it was in our town.

I went to many games the last season of the dome and went to a few the first season at the safe.

But after Lou left and we found out why and after giving the organization chance after chance to do something constructive only to watch them basically not give a fuck or being as incompetent as I've ever seen my patience finally gave way to apathy and then anger.

And I'm not alone.

Cano? Who gives a rip. Sure, they are spending money and that's new, but with that front office still in charge it won't produce a winner, and more importantly at this time, it won't fix the rift for my portion of the base that became disenfranchised. We are fucking pissed off at then chasing off Lou, and every half way decent manager since him and blowing up baseball in this town for a full decade. My daughter just turned 12 last weekend and has never seen winning baseball in person. I'm fucking pissed off about that. An entire god damned decade. Fuck them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but the point was those who did get on board were not quick to leave and eventually only left when it became clear the organization didn't really care about winning or were entirely incompetent on how to do so.

Winning is what matters. If the Mariners begin to win under the current front office, I think people in general (not saying you specifically) will begin to forget. It is easy for fans to gloss over those things if the team produces a winner. We live in the now and the fact is that there will always be the hardcore fans, then everyone else. The "everyone else" category is always going to be a lot, lot bigger and the "everyone else" category is primarily the people who fill up the stadium and turn on the games. There will always be the serious fans like you and I who have strong opinions, strong rational for those opinions and discuss sports on a sports forum but that is not most people.

A typical bandwagon city is just as fast to jump off the bus as get on it. I wouldn't call what happened between '95 and '05 that. There was a lot more interest and some bandwagon fans, but there were also a whole new generation of fans who simply discovered baseball and liked it. They loved it enough to still pack in the ballpark for a team that was losing 90+ games a year. Not every city does that.

That is true and I do agree with you, but here is a counterargument to that to consider, could the fan attendance during lean years mostly be attributed to the novelty of the new stadium and the great experience that Safeco provides? For most teams you will see a strong correlation between team performance and attendance that was not seen during the period following 2001, despite some really, really bad years. It is not often that you see a team lose 90+ year after year and still maintain attendance in the 30k+ range. The Mariners did not dip below 30k per game until 2008, which is extremely impressive considering the fact that you can make the case that over the last 10 year period the Mariners have arguably had the worst team in MLB.

Now that the novelty of Safeco is wearing off among the residents, perhaps that is why attendance is starting to reflect team performance.

But after Lou left and we found out why and after giving the organization chance after chance to do something constructive only to watch them basically not give a fuck or being as incompetent as I've ever seen my patience finally gave way to apathy and then anger.

And I'm not alone.

Cano? Who gives a rip. Sure, they are spending money and that's new, but with that front office still in charge it won't produce a winner, and more importantly at this time, it won't fix the rift for my portion of the base that became disenfranchised. We are fucking pissed off at then chasing off Lou, and every half way decent manager since him and blowing up baseball in this town for a full decade. My daughter just turned 12 last weekend and has never seen winning baseball in person. I'm fucking pissed off about that. An entire god damned decade. Fuck them.

I agree with you, but what is there really we can do about it? I dislike the functioning of this franchise just as much as anyone. I'm not going to let bad front office decisions force me to ditch my team, because quite honestly I can't enjoy baseball unless I have a team to root for and lord knows I could never force myself to root for a team outside of Seattle, for me that is sacrilege. So until the day comes that the franchise starts winning I will have to sit around and enjoy my cynical remarks about the team, complain about the way it is run and speculate on how it could be run differently.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just sad because Safeco is still one of the best facilities in baseball and will be for decades to come. To see an entire decade wasted with such a poor product when you have such great fans and that cathedral to baseball is just such a waste.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba what happened to the fishing thread? I am fly fishing the fuck out of the western states this year.

It's still in the hunting and fishing Buddha, the thread is kinda down the list, right now duck hunting is major topic, ( no pun there) ....

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only like CBB because your team is a decent team. I remember when the U of A chant was "If BB sucks we have the Ice Cats." Now when BB sucks you have nothing, except that win over Oregon to get my boys another PAC championship. Thanks for that U of A. Oh and classes start tomorrow. I am teaching online this term, so my time is free for at least 6 hours a day :).

Dont know. I told em not to move it yet. I will find it and report back.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its still here. Runeman just posted in it.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Mariners made some serious moves this off season and with a sports franchise staring at the abyss and lot of empty seats, the ownership may finally start listening to all that. That seattle times article sent shock waves all through the fanbase and the franchise.

I wouldnt complain about empty seats and this talk of the abyss. Do you know what Oakland has?

They play on a football field off of the Bart line in Oakland and pay most of the players in peanuts.

And they win with the big boys. So I am not buying your post at all.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Top 40 recruiting class rankings on "insider"- Pac12 Teams only

15) ASU
20) Arizona
23) Oregon
24) USC
26) UCLA
29) Stanford

you do realize the only reason the Zona schools are so high is because of the number of recruits right?

these rankings will look dramatically different once the number of recruits is leveled

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Mariners made some serious moves this off season and with a sports franchise staring at the abyss and lot of empty seats, the ownership may finally start listening to all that. That seattle times article sent shock waves all through the fanbase and the franchise.

Getting Cano to the Mariners was a serious blockbuster of a move. If we land Tanaka as well, boom. That's one serious starting pitching lineup.

Sorry, Tanaka will be a Dodger. Vic The Brick said so!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f_NS-bGWxg"]DO THE DODGERS OWN THE INSIDE TRACK ON MASAHIRO TANAKA? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An enhanced look at recruiting rankings

Recruiting websites give points for every recruit based on * rating.

Based on Scout

# of players/ avg * rating / points

ASU 25 players / 3.16 / 3036

Zona 28 players / 3.04 / 2779

USC 17 payers / 3.53 / 2663

UCLA 16 players / 3.56 / 2554

Oregon 17 players / 3.41 / 2540

Stanford 17 players / 3.35 / 2383

WSU 21 players / 2.71 / 1353

Cal / 14 players / 2.86 / 1251

Utah 21 players / 2.67 / 1246

OSU 21 players / 2.57 / 1200

Colorado 21 players / 2.38 / 951

Washington 10 players / 2.60 / 826

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just sad because Safeco is still one of the best facilities in baseball and will be for decades to come. To see an entire decade wasted with such a poor product when you have such great fans and that cathedral to baseball is just such a waste.

this.... exactly this

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the real life dude?

It seems this is him 20 years after the events of the the Big Lebowski caper.

Yep, that's the real life dude. He's on KLAC 570 and is kind of the "unofficial mascot" of L.A. sports. Most, especially the players, love the guy because he's hilarious, but no one really takes him seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.