• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah passing up on a dream job to coach a certain kid one more year would be insane not sure how that even occurred to anyone.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revisiting the better job argument

Just another recent opinion;

Would Jim Mora leave #UCLA for #Washington if offered? Not sure, but we know #UW has better AD & better facilities/resources.
— Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) [ame="https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/407626256847347712"]December 2, 2013[/ame]​

Plus a bigger paycheck.

If Mora turns down the offer I am going to be so bewildered. Obviously he has a good thing going @ UCLA, but the better job is in the Pacific Northwest. If theres any truth to his words I don't know how he could pass up this opportunity.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can 'think' all you want but dude you just don't get it!

It's the freaking Rose Bowl. It seats 90K+!

I've told you this before, other teams travel well to the Rose Bowl. The Alums from visiting schools circle their calendar for the UCLA game just because it's the Rose Bowl!

Great weather and atmosphere with excellent tailgating. Our tailgates are mostly on the golf course so it's like a huge picnic!

Plus we averaged 68K+ for home games last year, that nearly your capacity!

Have you ever been to the Rose Bowl? Because I don't think you have. :gaah:

You left out one big thing that a lot of people are forgetting about the UCLA job Mike,

In its own backyard is one of the hottest recruiting hotbeds in the Nation, lets face it every major university has a scout or two in that area at all times.....

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy no one is talking about Graham leaving.. There was that talk about him going to UT but according to their fans, there's "no way they'd give the keys to a brand new Ferrari to someone that wet under the ears." Graham still seems to be under appreciated by the masses. Good for us! We'll just continue employing the Pac-12 COY that no one seems to want.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right mcnabb, the cupboard isnt empty like when Sark took over. He is leaving a team that has a chance at winning now.

Mora just seems to be an easy out and lame choice.

I think a lot of Husky Nation are and forever will be trying to get the next long time tenured coach like they had in James. This is a different day and age and we arent going to see that very often like in years past.

It is a romance that UW is having squiring Mora in having those dreams of the next legend long time PAC coach and they believe Mora is the top candidate to be that guy... (some do)

If UW returns to their past success with the hire of this coach, there will be rumblings when the hire is initially made, because it will be someone who A. isnt Mora and B. isnt the obvious sexy choice.

What are we exactly getting with Jim Mora JR??? A name is about all I see. That and romanticized ties to UW.... It seems the hire is made out of a pipe dream of the return of past Husky lore. Move on, find that next young hungry off the radar guy.

Doeren

Dave-Doeren-1.jpg

The one thing and its a big thing is I don't think you can lure Doeren away from NC State. This is only his second season there, sure he might think about it , but I don't think he would leave...

The other name that keeps coming up and this is exactly a guy I would like to see here ( Iron as well) is Pat Narduzzi the defensive cord/ asst head coach at Michigan St. He's been there 7yrs now, and the guy has top 10 units every year, the possible problem of luring him away is the simple fact they could have a side deal in line for him as the next head coach at MSU if the head coach leaves, also he's a midwest guy, would he make the move the west????

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible hyperbole? How so? It's a basketball first school compared to a football first school. If I'm a basketball coach or player and I'm choosing between USC or UCLA, I'm going to UCLA because of the emphasis placed on the sport. The opposite is true if I'm a football coach or player.

Sure, there are the occasional exceptions, but generally speaking that's how it plays out.
Because it's just not a good comparison.

If CFB is King than the HC position at UCLA with our own brand of rich history, is nowhere comparable to second the fiddle sport of CBB nor the basketball HC position at USC. Which is pretty devoid of much CBB history (No better than 2 Final Four losses)

Besides we are not a basketball first school anyhow. We are much more than that. We just had a lot more success with basketball, IMO.

I can safely say this because our football program's resume stacks up firmly against all others in the PAC save USC.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mora is as smart as I think he is, he's not going to base a career decision on one kid. That would be crazy. You're talking about 1-2 years of having that player vs. the entire rest of your coaching career.

If UW is truly a "dream job" for Mora, why would he risk missing the opportunity to take it to stay with a kid that's only going to be there for another season or 2 anyway (if that)? Mora may take that into consideration, but it won't be any kind of deciding factor.

It's not like UW is going to hold the job open until Mora decides he wants to go there. He may never get another opportunity to coach there.
I just think there is always a teetering point and this could be it.

Brett returning could bring some really good things as far as the overall success of the program moving forward. The Bruins are a team with a lot of young talent, another year with a quality QB could burst the damn especially if Sark struggles under the last year of sanctions. Now without the talents of a Hundley in the backfield, it could set the program back a step or two.

I think those things are considered.

As far as it being Jim's dream job, I don't buy into that as much as others do. If the scenario is right, I think the UW job is a very desirable job for him.

Maybe that ship has passed or maybe it's still boarding only time will tell.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's just not a good comparison.

If CFB is King than the HC position at UCLA with our own brand of rich history, is nowhere comparable to second the fiddle sport of CBB nor the basketball HC position at USC. Which is pretty devoid of much CBB history (No better than 2 Final Four losses)

Besides we are not a basketball first school anyhow. We are much more than that. We just had a lot more success with basketball, IMO.

I can safely say this because our football program's resume stacks up firmly against all others in the PAC save USC.

I disagree. USC has a bit better basketball history than you want to give us credit for and your football history isn't quite as rich as you are making it out to be.

Back when Wooden was winning NC's at UCLA, USC was a top team in the country several of those years. However, because of the way the basketball playoffs were set up at the time, USC didn't get into the tournament because of finishing 2nd in conference to UCLA. If memory serves, there were a couple of seasons where USC only lost about 3 or 4 games with 2 of the losses being to UCLA.

I'm not trying to disrespect UCLA's football history, but it's about on par with USC's in basketball. UCLA jumps up every now and then and wins a conference title and Rose Bowl, has a streak of wins over USC, etc. Mostly though, it's a history of middle of the pack finishes, mid-tier bowl games and winning a game vs. USC every 3 years or so. USC does the same thing in basketball. UCLA may succeed a little more in football than USC in basketball, but it's not a huge difference.

And I understand that UCLA is more than a basketball school. Your women's softball team is usually pretty good too.:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah passing up on a dream job to coach a certain kid one more year would be insane not sure how that even occurred to anyone.
You say this, yet right above you IB posts pretty much the same sentiment about the QB and his coach.

Just listened to a Hundley interview on Rome. Said he's staying as of now but if Mora leaves he said that changes things, and he said it in a way that totally sounded like if Mora leaves I'm gone.
Like I just said, I don't think it's as simple as that, however just the teetering point.

:gaah: How is that hard to understand?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I just said, I don't think it's as simple as that, however just the teetering point.
:gaah: How is that hard to understand?

I never put much stock into what people say in interviews anyway. Most of them lie. Or at least change their mind for whatever reason 10mins later.

I don't get the mentality of committing to a coach rather than a university myself. Never know who is going to replace that guy if he leaves.

Commit to the school and realize that coaching changes happen, and they could happen while you're there. :noidea:

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I think he'll do well too. I understand why he made the comments that he did (recruiting), but I think he could have made his point without bringing up the Dawgfather. It would be the same as a USC coach saying he wants to be here longer than McKay.

I hope you get your coach too. It would be great to see some USC/UW CCG's in the near future (especially at the Coliseum).:lol:

ummmmm....no it wouldn't

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point. Completely forgot to take that into consideration while thinking of him.

Even considering his age I think it still would not be a bad hire. Mostly because I think he is a guy who can at least get us through this transition period and coach the team for another 5-10 years before he retires. That way we can have a smoother transition to a younger, more long-term coach.

I just want to see someone they can bring in that will stop the bleeding. At this point I worry about the repercussions this will have not only on the recruiting class but on the continued progression of the team going into next year.

Chris Peterson is also a really, really interesting option. I love what he has been able to do without great recruits but I worry if he can do it on a larger scale with the Huskies. At UW he would have A LOT more talent to work with than Boise State did, but he will also be going up against MUCH tougher opponents.

you are forgetting one MAJOR factor in this point. You of all people should realize the major differences in admission requirements between BSU and UW. aren't you the one always cracking on other schools for their academics? BSU has zero admission requirements, recruiting for that is easier. Maybe this is why Peterson has been successful and would be hesitant to take a PAC job.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW is right now because with the money from the Pac 12 network there the first ones to use it on facilitys and new stadium or stadium rennovation. Ucla and Asu, and more schools are planning there rennovations but UW has a head start, and honnestly have the coolest stadium, and best facilitys.

Oh my god you say the dumbest shit sometimes kid......

:wtf2:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. USC has a bit better basketball history than you want to give us credit for and your football history isn't quite as rich as you are making it out to be.

Back when Wooden was winning NC's at UCLA, USC was a top team in the country several of those years. However, because of the way the basketball playoffs were set up at the time, USC didn't get into the tournament because of finishing 2nd in conference to UCLA. If memory serves, there were a couple of seasons where USC only lost about 3 or 4 games with 2 of the losses being to UCLA.

I'm not trying to disrespect UCLA's football history, but it's about on par with USC's in basketball. UCLA jumps up every now and then and wins a conference title and Rose Bowl, has a streak of wins over USC, etc. Mostly though, it's a history of middle of the pack finishes, mid-tier bowl games and winning a game vs. USC every 3 years or so. USC does the same thing in basketball. UCLA may succeed a little more in football than USC in basketball, but it's not a huge difference.

And I understand that UCLA is more than a basketball school. Your women's softball team is usually pretty good too.:whistle:
What tf12, you like Gladiator moves or something, don't like women much? :laugh3:

Good bless those women.... 109 National Titles baby!
NCAA_titles.jpg

Seriously, as you elude, football is the measuring stick in college sports, that reason alone makes your comparison difficult at best.

Sure UCLA could have a few more NT's like Cal or UW on our resume however in the rest of the categories, again save USC, not too bad in comparison in the PAC...

Second in Conference Titles (17)
Fourth in Rosebowl appearances (12 - trailing Second by 2)
Fourth in Rosebowl wins (5 - trailing Second by 2)
First in Division Titles (2 - tied with Stanford)

I think that stacks up well to say we are a legit football program in the PAC.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You left out one big thing that a lot of people are forgetting about the UCLA job Mike,

In its own backyard is one of the hottest recruiting hotbeds in the Nation, lets face it every major university has a scout or two in that area at all times.....
However let's not forget that Mora has done a pretty good job recruiting here too! :yahoo:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never put much stock into what people say in interviews anyway. Most of them lie. Or at least change their mind for whatever reason 10mins later.

I don't get the mentality of committing to a coach rather than a university myself. Never know who is going to replace that guy if he leaves.

Commit to the school and realize that coaching changes happen, and they could happen while you're there. :noidea:
I understand it, this has already had this happen to him once, heck and he's only a redshirt sophomore!

The unknown leaves doubt which could damage or harm NFL draft stock.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are forgetting one MAJOR factor in this point. You of all people should realize the major differences in admission requirements between BSU and UW. aren't you the one always cracking on other schools for their academics? BSU has zero admission requirements, recruiting for that is easier. Maybe this is why Peterson has been successful and would be hesitant to take a PAC job.

:wtf:

So you think someone in the nation would rather stay at a small program that can get the table scraps left over from when the big boys go recruiting in with easy academic requirements versus a big boy program that recruits from a MUCH larger pool, but has to make sure the ones they target can actually spell and add? :laugh3:

Seriously, Petersen is exactly the kind of coach UW should be going after. One who is happy where they are at and loyal to their school and fan base. Someone who has discipline and commands respect. With his family situation I'm sure he isn't going anywhere, but finding someone to be like him for us should be a high priority. I don't think Mora is that, but that's my opinion and it would seem most of my fellow dawgs are totally in love with him coming back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.