• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Didnt Sark have a similar comment?

2. He has abilities but UW can do better. They are do for a homerun coach. Mora is not a homerun coach in Seattle. I just dont see it turning around for at least 2 to 3 years.

3 DeRuyter hasnt played very many ranked teams. He also has shit facilities in shit Fresno. Seattle is infinite better than Fresno in several ways. How many ranked wins does Mora have as a CFB HC? None???:noidea:

I'm not sure if Wiz already replied to this or not but I will anyways. (Had to work on a speech)

1. Sark had a similar comment yes, but Sark didn't have the personal connections to UW that Mora does. Sark was obviously straight up lying. I have to believe Mora really believes it considering he played for UW, coached for UW, and came to Seattle to coach his hometown Seahawks.

2. I think Mora could be a home run coach. He turned around the mediocrity that Slick Rick had going on down there pretty fast. 18-8 in two seasons is pretty good considering UCLA went 10-16 in their previous 2 seasons before Mora. Having the home town boy thing going on also buys him emotional appeal in Seattle. Although there are some slightly better options, for me Mora has the pathos appeal going hardcore. I still root for him to succeed down there at UCLA.

3. Mora plays against Pac-12 competition. DeRuyter plays against glorified HS teams. I'm not opposed to DeRuyter, he is just pretty far down the list for me. Mora is 5-5 against ranked competition. In comparison to 3-7 for Sark in the same timespan. 7-19 total at UW.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity is none of the current Seahawks staff possible? Quinn? Bevell? Seto?

Word is Bevell was recieving NFL HC offers last offseason. Although I think he is a terrible OC, he has NFL interest so he would probably not get the gig.

Not sure they would look at Quinn or Seto.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@footballscoop: At UW, word working its way through the coaches tonight is that Woodward is meeting with Jim Mora. Expect a yes or no soon (prob tomorrow).

Mora was also scheduled to be in Seattle area this weekend for a charity event at children's hospital.

If Mora is indeed Woodwards 1st choice and he does agree, expect an announcement by this weekend.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are so stupid.

I'm just not even going to respond like I intended.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Vanderdoos on twitter tonight - If you guys think Mora Would EVER ditch us for Washington your crazy... You might as well wipe him from the board cuz he's staying..

Wanna bet on that Ed?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching 0regon fans try to bash on UW.

UW is and always has been one of the best jobs in the pac12. The only reason duckberg is ahead of UW at this pt is because we haven't been to a BCS bowl forever.

Everything Wiz has said is ignored because they have their opinion on things they know nothing about.

To add to all that Wiz has said, the other thing UW has over UCLA is we are a football school, period. Football is the pinnacle of sports at UW. Not so much for UCLA.

Now about coaches. If you're going to laugh and giggle at the thought of Mora being drawn away from UCLA give your reasons. UW fans know all of the reasons we may be able to get him if he's pursued.

ALso some of you are throwing around a lot of names of other choices in your lofty opinions, you call it amateur hour talking about Mora. So rather than say stupid shit like DeRuyter is better because I said so, make an argument for him.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Written before the 2012 season.
2. Ted Miller former columnist for Seattle Post-Intelligencer so maybe

Do you have anything better than this? No? Didn't think so.

Anything other than your hopes and dreams that UW isn't one of the top schools in the pac for a football HC job?

You think UW has taken a step back from 2012? Sorry Improvements across the board.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mora to respond, soon

I'm all in for Mora. I would hate to see it go down the way it all went down with Sark, but I don't know if thats possible at this point. *If* he takes the job.

I know what Mora has stated in the past, but still, he's doing a good thing @ UCLA. Also, I don't think UCLA is a bad job at all, just for a football position I think UW is a slightly better destination.

I'm still not convinced he will walk away from what he has going down there. I am hopeful though.

Some people think UCLA took a step back this year because they lost the south. I don't think thats the case. ASU is just a raging beast and improved more than them. UCLA is still trending upwards in my opinion.

Will be good to get an answer soon.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anything other than your hopes and dreams that UW isn't one of the top schools in the pac for a football HC job?

You think UW has taken a step back from 2012? Sorry Improvements across the board.

I never said they werent one of the top jobs but I dont think they are far and away any better than UCLA or Stanford at this point. I think right now today the top jobs in the conference are USC, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA UW, Arizona State in that order. but that is just my opinion.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can run pro style up tempo. NFL teams are even starting to do it some. I would imagine he would do some of that when the situation warrants. He would be a fool to spread it out and waste all the TE and FB talent California produces. Stanford would lick their chops as being the only game in the state for it.
Sark better wait a year before running anything uptempo. :whistle:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Didnt Sark have a similar comment?

2. He has abilities but UW can do better. They are do for a homerun coach. Mora is not a homerun coach in Seattle. I just dont see it turning around for at least 2 to 3 years.

3 DeRuyter hasnt played very many ranked teams. He also has shit facilities in shit Fresno. Seattle is infinite better than Fresno in several ways. How many ranked wins does Mora have as a CFB HC? None???:noidea:
2012 3-2 --- W-#16 NEB, #22 ASU & #18 USC. --- L-#8 STAN & #8 STAN

2013 2-3 --- W-#23 NEB & #23 USC. --- L-#13 STAN, #3 ORE & #17 ASU.

So that makes him .500 lifetime (5-5).

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ucla is living in USCs shadow, bad crowds, decent alumni, horrible facility's. UW>Ucla until Ucla gets there renovations UW is a good job because all of there new facility's and new offices.
Both schools have them in the works Jahii! (Except UW has renos to the stadium) Here is UCLA's TF.

HYKXVGDCRJBDBRD.20131121022700.jpg

AR-130929736.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didnt say they took a step back but on field they havent really done a lot as far as stepping forward, 1 more win this season than last (so far) and last year was same as the year before. New renovated stadium and all is nice but not some giant leap forward.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 3-2 --- W-#16 NEB, #22 ASU & #18 USC. --- L-#8 STAN & #8 STAN

2013 2-3 --- W-#23 NEB & #23 USC. --- L-#13 STAN, #3 ORE & #17 ASU.

So that makes him .500 lifetime (5-5).

it doesnt count when they dont finished ranked. nice try.

when they played they were ranked... that is meaningless. its where they finish

all 5 of those Mora wins you posted are vs teams that didnt finish top 25... Most not even close.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and if you want more

What are the Best Jobs in College Football? - Good Bull Hunting
washington not listed

Ranking All 125 College Football Coaching Jobs for 2013 | AthlonSports.com
UCLA well ahead of UW

College Football's 25 Most Desirable Coaching Jobs | Bleacher Report
granted its bleacher report but UCLA ahead of UW

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*****Warning wall of text*****

Ok, here are some things to keep in mind. As I have stated, I grew up across the lake from UW during the James era. In that town, even on the rare occasions that one of the pro teams is good, the media is Husky obsessed. UW, and to a lesser but still significant extent, WSU, are the sports pages. I know in years when the Hawks or M's are up they get a lot of press, but much of the media coverage is about what is right and wrong in Husky sports.

If you want to coach at a school where football is the priority and the boosters will throw as much loot as they can at you (not Phil Knight money, but still a fair chunk), you have 3 choices in the PAC UW, USC and Oregon.

UCLA is a great sports school, and the football mentality is strong, but they have almost as many teams in non revenue sports as Stanford and USC (hence the fact that those three schools hold up the mantle of conference of champions).

If I had to rank HC jobs in terms of Football only, I have to look at facilities, fan support, and competition for attention from other sports teams (amateur and pro). That said, I have time to kill before I give my exam today, here goes:

1) USC- I dislike few teams more than USC and ND, but in all honesty, the culture of the school is football first. They have tons of other sports, but they are historically one of the premier programs in CFB. They have boosters, and the coach there is a celebrity.

2) UW - The money is there, your fans are as rabid as they come, and you only have the Hawks, M's Sounders and minor league soccer to compete with, none of the schools own teams get nearly as much attention as they should.

3) Oregon - The money is there, recent mystique is there, the facilities are 5* resort level (except the stadium) and the fans are a captive audience.

4) UCLA - Rich football history, but Basketball will be king in the fan's minds more or less. The location of the stadium disrupts a ton of students from coming, and there is a lot to do in LA, but for the locals you are UCLA or USC and it is a high prestige job if you can hack it.

5) ASU - Reasonable cost of living for the coaches, fairly high fan support, facilities are being upgraded, and your only true in house competition is from basketball or baseball. Though there are 4 pro teams to compete with.

6) CAL - The school wants desperately for the football team to be good, they have to pay off those renovations, and they are willing to pay a large chunk of change. Win the alumni and you will have some of the most loyal fans you have ever seen. Lose them, you are hosed. Big minus is the cost of living for you and your assistants.

7) Arizona - You have the whole town to yourself for fans, your only true competition are from the basketball team, always number one in the fans hearts, baseball and softball. Good to great facility upgrades. Low cost of living all put it up here.

8) Utah - Rabid fans, your only competition is the Jazz, great location, low cost of living and reasonable home field advantage. Minuses, it is Utah so booze is tough to find (it would matter to me as a coach) the winters are freaking cold if you are not a skier you may find your wife developing cabin fever after a few years.

9) OSU - Great fans, no competition locally except from the Ducks. I would prefer Eugene to Corvallis though.

10) Stanford - The cost of living is brutal, so bad in fact, that the university actually built new houses on campus for key coaches to help keep them around and cut down on commute time. Fans are fickle as Wiz pointed out, the real fans are addicted to all things Stanford, not just football. Small school (6k undergrads) means it is tough to sell out, especially since most alums are spread all over the country. Oh and those damn academic admissions standards can be brutal.

11) CO - Beautiful town, in major need of upgrades to the facilities, and not much money for coaches.

12) WSU, no offense Cougs, you have loyal, rabid, captive fans, but it is freaking Pullman, and you have to compete with the dogs for recruits in state. To win there takes a special coach that can get the most out of mid-level talent.

And with that I will walk away. :whistle:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW is an extremely attractive job. Not more attractive than UCLA. Equal to possibly.

But this hire could swing some power in the future of the PAC.

This feels like one of the biggest hires the conference has seen even more so than the last few years.

And again, I cant keep my mouth shut about who I am certain would work.

Dave Doeren or Tim DeRuyter.

I'm gonna agree with Mamba here that the next hire needs to one of the "biggest hires" the conference has had in a long time for the simple fact, the cupboard is some what full at UW now, and if the right hire comes in and takes whats here and turns into more then a 7 win team they could very easily be competing for the CCG in two or three seasons, ( Here comes the Ducks complaints on that:suds:)

I thought about it more last night and to me a Mora hire would just be like when Slick Rick was here, I got a feeling there would be players having off field issues, and the program would again have a negative light on it instead a positive, plus winning again, being able to head into Duckville the Farm, and playing close competive games.....

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and Stanford does not pay all that much compared to other conference schools.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right mcnabb, the cupboard isnt empty like when Sark took over. He is leaving a team that has a chance at winning now.

Mora just seems to be an easy out and lame choice.

I think a lot of Husky Nation are and forever will be trying to get the next long time tenured coach like they had in James. This is a different day and age and we arent going to see that very often like in years past.

It is a romance that UW is having squiring Mora in having those dreams of the next legend long time PAC coach and they believe Mora is the top candidate to be that guy... (some do)

If UW returns to their past success with the hire of this coach, there will be rumblings when the hire is initially made, because it will be someone who A. isnt Mora and B. isnt the obvious sexy choice.

What are we exactly getting with Jim Mora JR??? A name is about all I see. That and romanticized ties to UW.... It seems the hire is made out of a pipe dream of the return of past Husky lore. Move on, find that next young hungry off the radar guy.

Doeren

Dave-Doeren-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.