• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point in your childhood USC tradition teachings did you learn to swing on oregon's sac?
Ive always been a wise ass. And I've never considered the ducks a rival.However I cant see the logic in preferring to see a rival lose.Over having a rival win when it benefits USC in the standings.The goal at the beginning of every season is championships.I prefer to keep the rivalries to games played between the rivals and championships. Which means whats best for USC. A UCLA loss vs Utah is not a win for USC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive always been a wise ass. And I've never considered the ducks a rival.However I cant see the logic in preferring to see a rival lose.Over having a rival win when it benefits USC in the standings.The goal at the beginning of every season is championships.I prefer to keep the rivalries to games played between the rivals and championships. Which means whats best for USC. A UCLA loss vs Utah is not a win for USC.
And we can't understand why you and AG have to drone on about that over and over and over for more than a full day now. It's a hypothetical thing at best. I don't recall it ever actually coming up, at least in our case. And at the end of the day it really shouldn't matter to you who I'm personally rooting for while sitting on my couch watching a rival play their game. You two can keep beating the same horse over and over if it pleases you, but you just end up looking like a total douche doing so.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wise about you, you're a dumb ass.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cougs are favored by 7 @ ASU. Seems a little light to me, but it is a road game.

UW opened at 33 and now is up to 36.5-37. Petersen after that Oregon game was actually apologetic about that final score. Does he intentionally keep this one lower to not look like they are trying to run things up? I mean they are probably capable of scoring a ton, but will they shut it down even earlier if things get that far?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we can't understand why you and AG have to drone on about that over and over and over for more than a full day now. It's a hypothetical thing at best. I don't recall it ever actually coming up, at least in our case. And at the end of the day it really shouldn't matter to you who I'm personally rooting for while sitting on my couch watching a rival play their game. You two can keep beating the same horse over and over if it pleases you, but you just end up looking like a total douche doing so.
I cant speak for AG. But it is a great topic of discussion and we do all have our own opinions. To me it is not hypothetical tho. USC needs UCLA to beat Utah and Colorado to move up in the standings. They do have the tie breaker over Colorado. But Utah holds the tie breaker over USC. In order for USC to move up in the standings they need Utah to lose two games. And colorado to lose one. As well as victories of their own. USC needs as many Colorado and Utah losses as possible.From a college football stand point.Putting the rivalry with UCLA over SC would be counter productive

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cougs are favored by 7 @ ASU. Seems a little light to me, but it is a road game.

UW opened at 33 and now is up to 36.5-37. Petersen after that Oregon game was actually apologetic about that final score. Does he intentionally keep this one lower to not look like they are trying to run things up? I mean they are probably capable of scoring a ton, but will they shut it down even earlier if things get that far?
The classy thing to do was to be apologetic, other than the reverse, did they really do anything but hand the ball off between the tackles in the 4th quarter??? Like I said I was so butt hurt I didn't pay attention to every play in the 2nd half. But my fellow non SportsHoopla Duck fans didn't think UW ran it up, the Ducks defense couldn't stop basic running plays. Oregon has been charged many times for running it up doing the same thing. The 3rd and 4th string back is going to run as hard as they can.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The classy thing to do was to be apologetic, other than the reverse, did they really do anything but hand the ball off between the tackles in the 4th quarter??? Like I said I was so butt hurt I didn't pay attention to every play in the 2nd half. But my fellow non SportsHoopla Duck fans didn't think UW ran it up, the Ducks defense couldn't stop basic running plays. Oregon has been charged many times for running it up doing the same thing. The 3rd and 4th string back is going to run as hard as they can.
No, they had their starters out before the start of the 4th and had 3rd stringers in on that last TD. Petersen is friends with Helfrich and just doesn't run up the score in general.

That's what makes me uneasy about a handle that large. It's not that I don't think they could do the same to the beavers, just wonder if they don't play that game late a little different because of that last game.

I really don't think Petersen gives a shit about rankings, perceptions, or any of that outside stuff. He wants to win every game and do it the right way.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant speak for AG. But it is a great topic of discussion and we do all have our own opinions. To me it is not hypothetical tho. USC needs UCLA to beat Utah and Colorado to move up in the standings. They do have the tie breaker over Colorado. But Utah holds the tie breaker over USC. In order for USC to move up in the standings they need Utah to lose two games. And colorado to lose one. As well as victories of their own. USC needs as many Colorado and Utah losses as possible.From a college football stand point.Putting the rivalry with UCLA over SC would be counter productive
It's a topic, we'll have to disagree about the great part... but usually when you find yourself posting the same exact thing multiple times it means the discussion part has run its course.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have Stanford a 2 point favorite over Colorado. Who would have thought that would be possible a year or two ago? My how fast things change.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have Stanford a 2 point favorite over Colorado. Who would have thought that would be possible a year or two ago? My how fast things change.
Thats why the PAC is so unique, you can't stay on top for long another program is going to rise up, obviously much more in the PAC than the other 4.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why the PAC is so unique, you can't stay on top for long another program is going to rise up, obviously much more in the PAC than the other 4.
The PAC is almost a catch 22. You have to like the parity anyone can win on any given week. And there is no predictability when it comes to the PAC championship. It makes for very exciting football. But on the other side it does make it that much more difficult to make the playoffs.The Pac is a stronger conference then some people realize

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They shut it down.....

Hanging 70 on the Ducks "just happened" ......OSU offense isn't as fast paced like the Ducks

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They shut it down.....

Hanging 70 on the Ducks "just happened" ......OSU offense isn't as fast paced like the Ducks
So do you think 37 is a bit steep then?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think 37 is a bit steep then?
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up 40 something to one OSU score, touchdown or field goal. It's close... those crafty odds makers...

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In non-related football news...

Phil Knight/wife just donated another 500 million to the UO for scientific research facilities et al...THAT is one hellva an American and Duck alum. His total charitable donations to date now tops 2 BILLION!

Congrats to UO, the State of Oregon and to the entire world who will ultimately benefit from Mr Knight's generosity.

<tip the ballcap>

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right in that I am not always rational in my fan thinking. For instance when I look through the ranked teams I think SC would totally beat a lot of those guys.

So what I mean by "this year" is I still believe USC can compete for National Titles. So a slightly elevated chance at a Pac 12 South Title doesn't really get me excited enough to cheer for ucla. However, back when I went USC many years ago a shot at a Holiday Bowl would have been pretty awesome, so I added the "this year" tag on because while the Pac 12 South title isn't anything that would currently thrill me, to be honest, I could imagine a time when it would be great again.
I was actually thinking a bit of the opposite. Thanks for the clarity BUSC!

Y'all gotta remember, the South title gets a 50/50 shot at the Rose Bowl. To me that is the cream della cream of all bowl games outside of the Final Four. :nod:

That South title, for that reason, IMO should excite you more, but maybe that's just me.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking a bit of the opposite. Thanks for the clarity BUSC!

Y'all gotta remember, the South title gets a 50/50 shot at the Rose Bowl. To me that is the cream della cream of all bowl games outside of the Final Four. :nod:

That South title, for that reason, IMO should excite you more, but maybe that's just me.
I agree the Rose Bowl holds special meaning for me as well

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the last bye is out of the way, time to ramp this thing back up and finish.....

Did anyone else watch tOSU and Whisky?

Gotta give props to Justin Wilcox and that Whisky defense, he's done a pretty darn good job. Granted the talent was already there, but geez he didn't mess around...
I'm a bit surprised Oregon didn't go after Wilcox at the end of last season.