• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you'll need to say that about 12 more times, the first 8 were unclear.
I would rather SC play for a PAC championship or a rose bowl championship. Than to see UCLA lose to a team that advances SC. There are no UCLA lost to Colorado trophies. If it came down to Washington needing an Oregon or Washington State win for a CCG etc... I think you would root for a rival.Because it is in the best interest of the Huskies

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I've mentioned on here more than once how my mother was attacked in Eugene one year at the game and there are sensitive duck fans around that don't like it talked about. Some have said they have seen bad things from husky fans toward theirs and I'd understand their hate if that happened as well. I'm not going to rehash that again.

I don't think anyone that isn't in this rivalry and hasn't been at the stadium for both home and away really understands how bad the hate runs. It doesn't translate well on TV from hundreds of miles away. And it hasn't been THAT bad every year. It has odd years where it seems to get really bad and then calms down for a while before spiking back up again. Duck fans said UW fans were actually nice this year and I haven't heard of any incidents toward the people I know that were there (lucky bastards!). So this wasn't a bad year. Can't imagine next year will be either.
Wiz, there are always bad people that are involved in the process. Those few are the Dicks of the world, they are not real fans or any other measure of fandom for a team.

I am so sorry about your Mother, I do know there are these types of situations that can taint a persons perspective. I remember not too long ago the beating of a fan at Dodgers stadium. The dude that did it wore Blue and White, but I would never associate that man as a like fan or even a human being for that much. Pure trash, is what I'd say! I was sadden to even be associated with the man in any capacity, however there it was, we both wore the same colors. Make no mistake, that is where the similarities stopped. I would think, in most instances regarding fandom that would be the case, however maybe I'm naive.

We here in LA are spoiled, USC/UCLA is often a family affair. The Dodgers/Angeles fans often root for the other. Lakers/Clippers has really been so lopsided for years that it really has never been an issue until recently and the Kings/Ducks too is among friends and family. Those rivalries that cover more than a freeway hop or two can create disconnects, like the Dodgers/Giants. Rams/49ers but then too it seems family and friends are always involved.

So sorry I am not more empathetic to your situation, and I really hope you can see the joys of a rivalry that others do, for the good of sport, rather than non sports related circumstances and emotions that are too often attached.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I am not a real fan, then again I still don't know what a real fan is, if I go with AG's definition then I am definitely not a real fan.

I will root for ND to win about the same time hell freezes over (or someone can prove it exists, and is frozen).

I will root for $C only if someone has a gun to my child's head. I even like many of their fans, and almost went there, still just cannot do it, sorry @trojanfan12 .

I would root for Cal if they finally get to the Rose Bowl again. I mean, they have not won that game since FDR was president and haven't played in it since Ike was president. That record of futility would merit at least a golf clap from me.

I have come to tolerate the Huskies, it has been tough. Growing up in their heyday as a Stanford fan I have had "Furd Sucks" keyed into my car, fights with fans at games and other drama. I have, however, softened.

I was raised to believe three things, Cal is the rival, $C is the enemy and ND is the devil.

I guess being a fan since birth and making it through all the ups and downs just don't count.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If an Oregon or WSU win helps Washington's cause then I'm all for them beating whoever ... because I'm a real fan and I want to see my team make the PAC championship game no matter how, what or why.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If an Oregon or WSU win helps Washington's cause then I'm all for them beating whoever ... because I'm a real fan and I want to see my team make the PAC championship game no matter how, what or why.

And that's fantastic for you, I really mean that. (rainbow award?)

But the Pac 12 South Divisional Title isn't a big enough prize to get me to cheer for ucla to win two games. Especially when the way it would work is for ucla to beat Colorado and Utah, Colorado also has to beat Utah, USC has to win out (that part I'm 100% in favor of). And then some tie breaker that I have no clue about with a 3 way tie and no head to head?

So yes, there are way to many variables for me to get excited about that could move it either way still.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, there are always bad people that are involved in the process. Those few are the Dicks of the world, they are not real fans or any other measure of fandom for a team.

I am so sorry about your Mother, I do know there are these types of situations that can taint a persons perspective. I remember not too long ago the beating of a fan at Dodgers stadium. The dude that did it wore Blue and White, but I would never associate that man as a like fan or even a human being for that much. Pure trash, is what I'd say! I was sadden to even be associated with the man in any capacity, however there it was, we both wore the same colors. Make no mistake, that is where the similarities stopped. I would think, in most instances regarding fandom that would be the case, however maybe I'm naive.

We here in LA are spoiled, USC/UCLA is often a family affair. The Dodgers/Angeles fans often root for the other. Lakers/Clippers has really been so lopsided for years that it really has never been an issue until recently and the Kings/Ducks too is among friends and family. Those rivalries that cover more than a freeway hop or two can create disconnects, like the Dodgers/Giants. Rams/49ers but then too it seems family and friends are always involved.

So sorry I am not more empathetic to your situation, and I really hope you can see the joys of a rivalry that others do, for the good of sport, rather than non sports related circumstances and emotions that are too often attached.
I'll ask you the same thing I asked the others and haven't received a response to yet, why does it matter to you how much I dislike another team or what it might do to my rooting interests? I'm not advocating attacking random strangers based on the clothes they are wearing. I'm not keying peoples cars or do other destructive things. Sitting in my own living room I won't bring myself to ever root for the ducks for anything. Why does that deserve being called names and having my fandom questioned? Why should that matter to anyone else AT ALL?
Guess I am not a real fan, then again I still don't know what a real fan is, if I go with AG's definition then I am definitely not a real fan.

I will root for ND to win about the same time hell freezes over (or someone can prove it exists, and is frozen).

I will root for $C only if someone has a gun to my child's head. I even like many of their fans, and almost went there, still just cannot do it, sorry @trojanfan12 .

I would root for Cal if they finally get to the Rose Bowl again. I mean, they have not won that game since FDR was president and haven't played in it since Ike was president. That record of futility would merit at least a golf clap from me.

I have come to tolerate the Huskies, it has been tough. Growing up in their heyday as a Stanford fan I have had "Furd Sucks" keyed into my car, fights with fans at games and other drama. I have, however, softened.

I was raised to believe three things, Cal is the rival, $C is the enemy and ND is the devil.

I guess being a fan since birth and making it through all the ups and downs just don't count.
I think you and I have one thing in common then. Raised on that hate. I probably learned to hate the ducks before I reached grade school.

I will say this however, I have no problems being friends with any particular duck fan. I'd have a beer with Oly. I don't arbitrarily hate any one person because of the team they follow. I hate their team and their fans as a collective, but not the individuals until they give me a reason to.

What is wrong really with any of that?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pffffft. Clearly you just jumped on the Stanford bandwagon when you were a baby, then attended the school, and continue to support the program through being a season ticked holder. You got nothing on us real fans who root for our rivals sometimes.

Pussy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WSU fans have never been accused of seeing the bigger picture unless it included a jug of hooch and a case of beer.

Ok, what is best for us? I can't want what is best for my school. Best thing for us is A. Run the table until AC, UW has to run the table until the AC and then for us to lose the AC. What's best for my school is getting a slice of the playoff pie UW will get a slice of the Rose Bowl money whoever wins the South. So in order for me to be a real fan in your book I have not only root for UW all year but root for them in Apple Cup?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the absolute worst fans I've ever had to deal with at Husky stadium, by far, have always been coug fans and yet I don't really hate them. They all have such hate for us and love for booze that you are sure to find total dicks every single home AC. I do so enjoy making every one of them eat their words. About 15 years ago when our son was like 14 or so there was an AC where the cougs took a substantial lead early and there were 5 or 6 of their fans around the section I was in that were ALL standing up and taunting the crowd. We were feeding it back to them, but after the dawgs came charging back and beat them we collectively went nuts on them. Several left with their coats over their heads under a barrage of words from the crowd. It was the first time I had taken our son to an apple cup and boy was he sort of surprised by how that games goes in the stands. I mean he loved it, but it was still a surprise. Most league games aren't like that.

Anything wrong with that? Shouldn't be. If you open your mouth and taunt others you should expect it back.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskies and Utah are bowl eligible. Colorado at 5 Ws looking good to get to a bowl this year. That's gonna be one of the stories of this season. Buffs finally going bowling.
Yes, the Huskies have been bottom feeders in the Pac for sometime. Congrats on the dominating year so far. While I got you, what is your prediction when ASU visits?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little early for a prediction that's a month out. Need to know how both teams are doing before that game and who has what injuries.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in this scenario when the games of your rivals hold a direct bearing on your team. Rooting for them in a game in which you need another team to lose to benefit your team. Its no different from rooting for your team.

Gotta disagree. I'm not rooting for Baby Blue Fairies or the Domers for any reason. If them winning benefits USC, I still won't root for them. I just won't be a bothered by them winning.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is so full of wannabe fans, makes me sick.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really feel the need to insult and belittle people that simply have a different opinion?

Guys who talk about their "fandom" and try to tell others whether or not they are true fans are usually the most insecure in their own fandom.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Huskies have been bottom feeders in the Pac for sometime. Congrats on the dominating year so far. While I got you, what is your prediction when ASU visits?
You can see this bad by just inside the entrance of Husky Stadium.

P4030029.JPG