• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen Oregon State's upcoming schedule. That has to be the most brutal stretch out of any team in the country this year.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. The game plan used against Stanford was not used in the W. Michigan game. They did put up a fight but when USC did use

So you think USC went into the W. Michigan and Stanford games with the same effort and game plan? I was there. That couldn;'t be further from the truth. There were formations I didn't see against W. Michigan there were defensive blitzes and stunts they didn't do either. The Stanford game was played at a whole other level. Sounds like you think Stanford isn't as good as Western Michigan. In a game that means something Stanford would pound W. Michigan.
USC is favored in every game on their schedule. Vegas has them favored in every game. So me saying they should win their remaining games based on talent shouldn't be shocking. Obviously an upset can happen injuries can happen. But Stanford was their highest ranked opponent and the team that has owned them recently and the outcome was flipped. They were and have been the worst matchup for USC. Stanford would shorten the games. They would minimize USCs possessions. Utah has a good defense but I don't see them being able to score enough to keep up with USC. Colorados big advantage might be the weather. UCLA should be a good game if the can keep Rosen off his back which is a tall order for that O line.
First Jim, they should have the same intensity of effort regardless of the opponent. Second, you weren't talking game plan earlier, of course the game plan wasn't the same, they were preparing for two different offenses, two different defenses and two different special teams. You tried to explain away the Trojans struggles for 3 quarters vs a WMU team they should have dominated early and often, was due rust and playing a vanilla playbook. Honestly, even a vanilla playbook shouldn't have seen the Trojans struggle considering the comparable talent. I think if we want to add something besides rust, we can add jitters.

Great game vs Stanford, and who knows you could be right, they could end up being the best you face all season, but I don't think Helton is thinking that way, because if he is, someone is bound to sneak up on them.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ucla only -3 at memphis?? :noidea: enlighten me pac12 disciples.....
I thought it was kind of low myself, but considering it's at Memphis, it's an early kickoff, the Tigers played UCLA pretty well 2 years ago, and the state of the Bruins ability to stop the run and run the ball themselves all of last year, it makes more sense. Especially considering the Memphis Running backs and Line backers are the strength of the team it's probably not the best matchup for an average at best UCLA Bruins team.

It could come down to more heroics by Rosen once again for the Bruins to go 3-0.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was kind of low myself, but considering it's at Memphis, it's an early kickoff, the Tigers played UCLA pretty well 2 years ago, and the state of the Bruins ability to stop the run and run the ball themselves all of last year, it makes more sense. Especially considering the Memphis Running backs and Line backers are the strength of the team it's probably not the best matchup for an average at best UCLA Bruins team.

It could come down to more heroics by Rosen once again for the Bruins to go 3-0.
I effectively summed that up in two words and you rainbowed it.

What the hell man?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Jim, they should have the same intensity of effort regardless of the opponent. Second, you weren't talking game plan earlier, of course the game plan wasn't the same, they were preparing for two different offenses, two different defenses and two different special teams. You tried to explain away the Trojans struggles for 3 quarters vs a WMU team they should have dominated early and often, was due rust and playing a vanilla playbook. Honestly, even a vanilla playbook shouldn't have seen the Trojans struggle considering the comparable talent. I think if we want to add something besides rust, we can add jitters.

Great game vs Stanford, and who knows you could be right, they could end up being the best you face all season, but I don't think Helton is thinking that way, because if he is, someone is bound to sneak up on them.

You don't play Fresno State or San Jose State or Western Michigan like you play Stanford or Washington or anyone who's close to you in talent. You might want and expect your kids to give you the same effort but they didn't and Western Michigan was there to fight to the end and had no reason to no use any play they have.There were drops and some lazy tackling by USC. BUt You do what you have to do without showing too much. You don't go five wide against W. Michigan you don't use defensive schemes you want to use against better teams. You run simple running plays and simple pass routes. Maybe if you're Cal or one of the Arizona schools you do use you're whole playbook against these teams because you might lose that game but not if you're talented and looking forward to a special season. USC didn't click in the first game till they gave it to Burnett and Ronald Jones to pull away. Against Stanford they took it up a notch because Stanford is a much better team.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't play Fresno State or San Jose State or Western Michigan like you play Stanford or Washington or anyone who's close to you in talent. You might want and expect your kids to give you the same effort but they didn't and Western Michigan was there to fight to the end and had no reason to no use any play they have.There were drops and some lazy tackling by USC. BUt You do what you have to do without showing too much. You don't go five wide against W. Michigan you don't use defensive schemes you want to use against better teams. You run simple running plays and simple pass routes. Maybe if you're Cal or one of the Arizona schools you do use you're whole playbook against these teams because you might lose that game but not if you're talented and looking forward to a special season. USC didn't click in the first game till they gave it to Burnett and Ronald Jones to pull away. Against Stanford they took it up a notch because Stanford is a much better team.
Wait, didn't you come into the UW v Rutgers thread during that game and make a comment about UW and how they were supposed to be good? Now you defend USC's level of play against scrubs with all sorts of arguments about why it should be ignored.

Seems legit.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen Oregon State's upcoming schedule. That has to be the most brutal stretch out of any team in the country this year.

can't imagine a win in the next month and a half…DC clune is fucking clueless on defense and the offense has gone pass happy crappy…

CBS Sportsline bottom 25 says it best…

OREGON ST.

Oregon State (1-2): The Beavers have put in an early claim on the worst team in the Pac-12. (NR)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe they were rusty AND vanilla, just rusty.

Actually, they were a little of both, plus some first game jitters.

They were rusty, especially on defense, which showed in the poor tackling. According to Helton, he has stopped full contact drills earlier than usual to prevent injuries. So, I think it took the defense about a half to readjust to the contact. Cameron Smith being out in the first half didn't help much either.

The offense they ran for the first 3 or so quarters was pretty basic. They opened it up some in the 4th quarter to pull away.

A couple of the receivers were making their first start and a couple were adjusting to bigger roles. I think they were a bit nervous which why there were several dropped passes.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't imagine a win in the next month and a half…DC clune is fucking clueless on defense and the offense has gone pass happy crappy…

OREGON ST.

Oregon State (1-2): The Beavers have put in an early claim on the worst team in the Pac-12. (NR)
:rip:
:salute:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OREGON ST.

My advice is don't go 0-12.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is SportsHoopla dragging dog ass for anyone else?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah it is. Been a bigger and bigger problem lately for sure. Not all of the time, but when it happens it's crap.

The worst one is the damned quote button lagging. Sometimes I have to click that fucker 2-3 time to get shit to show up and then sometimes like 4 of them all show up at once.

:mad2:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I effectively summed that up in two words and you rainbowed it.

What the hell man?
Yeah, I meant to give you one of these.....:finger: Just ran out of time and had to split.

Plus, I think they will be a bowl team this year, anything less than that and I would have to agree with you.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they were a little of both, plus some first game jitters.

They were rusty, especially on defense, which showed in the poor tackling. According to Helton, he has stopped full contact drills earlier than usual to prevent injuries. So, I think it took the defense about a half to readjust to the contact. Cameron Smith being out in the first half didn't help much either.

The offense they ran for the first 3 or so quarters was pretty basic. They opened it up some in the 4th quarter to pull away.

A couple of the receivers were making their first start and a couple were adjusting to bigger roles. I think they were a bit nervous which why there were several dropped passes.
I think our difference here is 'vanilla' means something a lot different to me than to you guys. When I think of vanilla, I think of the NFL preseason where there is no scheme or game plan in place. Jim talked about having a different game plan for Stanford than WMU. That alone tells me we think of vanilla in different terms.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah it is. Been a bigger and bigger problem lately for sure. Not all of the time, but when it happens it's crap.

The worst one is the damned quote button lagging. Sometimes I have to click that fucker 2-3 time to get shit to show up and then sometimes like 4 of them all show up at once.

:mad2:
Try opening a different tab, seems to work much better than clicking the quote button again and again.