• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate scrub games and two in a row is bad but three weeks in a row must really suck. Thank goodness that you haven't suffered any significant injuries. USC lost one of their field goal kickers to a knee injury against Stanford. I think that leaves just a walk on.

he was just handling kickoffs i believe. maybe its not too late to let boermeester back on team. touchy subject there for some.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that the Rose Bowl is ~30 miles from Campus, right? And in LA traffic, and game day traffic, that shit actually can seem really out of the way TBH.
Also, every other year at least, it can be hard to get tickets for the Battle for LA at the Rose Bowl.

So first, you were way off with the 'poor attendance for the Bruins v Bama game & now here you go again Wazzy. I'm not picking on you, but you keep swinging for the fences and you're down to your last strike! :lol:

Also the Rose Bowl has a record attendance of nearly 108K (1973) and normally seats ~92.5K for Bruin games. It's modern capacity listing of 88,500 ranks is the 17th largest capacity in the World and 11th in the US.

So when you compare all that to Martin with an ~35K capacity, I think it's high time you might want to STFU. :dhd:

I'm giving you crap but the Rose Bowl is 1000x's easier to get to than Martin Stadium so I don't really have any sympathy for traffic.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was just handling kickoffs i believe. maybe its not too late to let boermeester back on team. touchy subject there for some.
I don't think he should have been kicked off the team to begin with, but bringing him back after an injury because the team is desperate would not be a good look. The optics of that would be horrible.

And you can bet I'd pile on with everyone else.

:suds:

Just for the lols of course.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving you crap but the Rose Bowl is 1000x's easier to get to than Martin Stadium so I don't really have any sympathy for traffic.
Well it must be jacked up getting to Martin because it is simple getting in and out of most venues here in LA, that the RB is nestled up against the Foothills and adjacent to a PGA GC it can get dicey.

I do have a trick up my sleeve getting in and out of the RB that works, but it's a secret...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that, do you want to put a $500 vCash bet on the exchange Wiz?
Naw, too many things can change in a game. That would be a stupid bet for money.

You can bet if the score is up they want to get KJ in as many reps as they can. He got in last game, but I think he only got one pass? :noidea: It wasn't much. They need him to get some good passing reps before shit gets real.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else have regular issues with this site not loading sometimes for seconds, sometimes for minutes? It was a real bitch to respond to this.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, too many things can change in a game. That would be a stupid bet for money.

You can bet if the score is up they want to get KJ in as many reps as they can. He got in last game, but I think he only got one pass? :noidea: It wasn't much. They need him to get some good passing reps before shit gets real.
Well, that's the point.... of course if the score is up you can bet that, so I guess your doubt about Browning playing more than a series in the 3rd quarter is more like, Browning might not see more than a series in the 3rd quarter. :D
On an unrelated note, does anyone else have regular issues with this site not loading sometimes for seconds, sometimes for minutes? It was a real bitch to respond to this.
It's been glitchy...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it must be jacked up getting to Martin because it is simple getting in and out of most venues here in LA, that the RB is nestled up against the Foothills and adjacent to a PGA GC it can get dicey.

I do have a trick up my sleeve getting in and out of the RB that works, but it's a secret...

I park off of Colorado on the Highland Park side and ride bikes to the RB and ride them out when the game or concert is over.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not good for the kicking game. I can't remember a kicker being out for the year before and this season is probably the worst timing.
Haven't had any real good kickers in a while. I don't remember having any FG tries so far this season. Or have they? :noidea:

I'd rather just keep making TDs anyway... :nod:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't had any real good kickers in a while. I don't remember having any FG tries so far this season. Or have they? :noidea:

I'd rather just keep making TDs anyway... :nod:

I think USC only punted twice in the Stanford game and I don't remember any field goal tries. I'm excited about this offense and the O line. If they can impose their will against Stanford they should be able to do that to every team on their schedule.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think USC only punted twice in the Stanford game and I don't remember any field goal tries. I'm excited about this offense and the O line. If they can impose their will against Stanford they should be able to do that to every team on their schedule.
Then again, it could be a down year for Stanford, we don't know that much yet. Just saying, if W. Michigan gave y'all that much trouble for 3 quarters, it may not be the cake walk of a season you're talking about here.

On that note, I was hoping Colorado, might take a step back and Oregon might not be ready for the challenge. This early in the Season, it appears neither of those two things are happening...

If SC wins out (Except for their final regular season game of course :dhd:) and wins the CCG, not only will they be in the College Playoffs a strong year for the PAC will give them a good seeding and they will be the tested team that can win it all.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, it could be a down year for Stanford, we don't know that much yet. Just saying, if W. Michigan gave y'all that much trouble for 3 quarters, it may not be the cake walk of a season you're talking about here.

On that note, I was hoping Colorado, might take a step back and Oregon might not be ready for the challenge. This early in the Season, it appears neither of those two things are happening...

If SC wins out (Except for their final regular season game of course :dhd:) and wins the CCG, not only will they be in the College Playoffs a strong year for the PAC will give them a good seeding and they will be the tested team that can win it all.
Well you can either believe USC was rusty and with the vanilla dont show too much game plan let a decent w. Michigan team hang around untill USC put it in another gear to pull away. Or you think W. Michigan is much better than Stanford. I tend to believe USC sandbaged it a little in the first game because everyone knew the Stanford game might be their toughest game on the schedule.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't saying things like we already faced the best line and handled them so we should be good the rest of the season fail to learn the lessons of pretty much every single season in the history of Pac12 football? :noidea:

I said all off season that I wasn't sold on all this love and hype for Stanford this year and it will still be a month or so before we know if they really did get beat by a much superior team, or if this is more rebuilding for them than some had thought.

Either way it will probably be some second tier team the fans largely dismiss that give USC their closest game and/or loss. That's how this shit works.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't saying things like we already faced the best line and handled them so we should be good the rest of the season fail to learn the lessons of pretty much every single season in the history of Pac12 football? :noidea:

I said all off season that I wasn't sold on all this love and hype for Stanford this year and it will still be a month or so before we know if they really did get beat by a much superior team, or if this is more rebuilding for them than some had thought.

Either way it will probably be some second tier team the fans largely dismiss that give USC their closest game and/or loss. That's how this shit works.
Stanford has recruited the O line the best of any team in the PAC for years and there D line and linebackers havent been far behind. They have set the tone and style of play against USC for like eight seasons now. So USC being able to control the style of play and push them around and beat them at their game is huge.Thats not saying no one is capable of beating USC of course some tram can but this was the biggest test and it came early. For you guys they might be your biggest road block .

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has recruited the O line the best of any team in the PAC for years and there D line and linebackers havent been far behind. They have set the tone and style of play against USC for like eight seasons now. So USC being able to control the style of play and push them around and beat them at their game is huge.Thats not saying no one is capable of beating USC of course some tram can but this was the biggest test and it came early. For you guys they might be your biggest road block .
Match ups and timing are everything in college football. Literally everything.
Size and athleticism for sure go into the match up part of it, but so does scheme and just individual strengths.

SC got Stanford early, before they have had any real chance to see how their newer pieces will play. USC is by far the more complete team right now today. 3 months from now? Who knows. This is not unlike SC early last season vs where they were at the end of the year.

UW will face several challenges. It's not just Stanford and a bunch of easy road kill. Which teams actually beat UW or give them their toughest challenges remains to be seen. I keep asking the question of where their offense is supposed to come from and have seen little to change that narrative over the conversation in the off season. They may have match up issues on their defense, but they have to score to win and UW will give that offense fits. I'll believe that until I see substantial improvement and development on that side of the ball.

Utah plays us tough, the apple cup won't be a cake walk, UCLA is capable of upsetting any team if they can put a full game together on the road, and UW always finds a way of making one of the zona schools look a lot better than they really are.

I'm just not going to focus on Stanford in September and I'm damn sure the team isn't.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Match ups and timing are everything in college football. Literally everything.
Size and athleticism for sure go into the match up part of it, but so does scheme and just individual strengths.

SC got Stanford early, before they have had any real chance to see how their newer pieces will play. USC is by far the more complete team right now today. 3 months from now? Who knows. This is not unlike SC early last season vs where they were at the end of the year.

UW will face several challenges. It's not just Stanford and a bunch of easy road kill. Which teams actually beat UW or give them their toughest challenges remains to be seen. I keep asking the question of where their offense is supposed to come from and have seen little to change that narrative over the conversation in the off season. They may have match up issues on their defense, but they have to score to win and UW will give that offense fits. I'll believe that until I see substantial improvement and development on that side of the ball.

Utah plays us tough, the apple cup won't be a cake walk, UCLA is capable of upsetting any team if they can put a full game together on the road, and UW always finds a way of making one of the zona schools look a lot better than they really are.

I'm just not going to focus on Stanford in September and I'm damn sure the team isn't.
Well you guys didnt get Stanford early. If you had and won Im sure youd think it was a big hurdle. Oregon owned you guys for a while. You were pretty happy when you beat them and felt you were better. Right now USC wont be the underdog in any game left on their schedule.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you guys didnt get Stanford early. If you had and won Im sure youd think it was a big hurdle. Oregon owned you guys for a while. You were pretty happy when you beat them and felt you were better.
This is all over the place.

Beating any dangerous team early would have fans relieved and happy, but I wouldn't make some blanket season long claim. That's not how I view this sport. Ever.

We have upset Stanford early in a season. Just a few years ago. It was awesome, but in no way made me feel like doing that meant there were few challenges to be had the rest of the way. That really isn't how it works.

What the hell does Oregon's streak have to do with anything? UW was better than Oregon last year. Miles and miles better. So was just about everyone else in the conference. It wasn't a week 2 early win, nor was it a team that was so good that beating them made anyone think there weren't going to be any other challenges. Doesn't appear to apply here.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all over the place.

Beating any dangerous team early would have fans relieved and happy, but I wouldn't make some blanket season long claim. That's not how I view this sport. Ever.

We have upset Stanford early in a season. Just a few years ago. It was awesome, but in no way made me feel like doing that meant there were few challenges to be had the rest of the way. That really isn't how it works.

What the hell does Oregon's streak have to do with anything? UW was better than Oregon last year. Miles and miles better. So was just about everyone else in the conference. It wasn't a week 2 early win, nor was it a team that was so good that beating them made anyone think there weren't going to be any other challenges. Doesn't appear to apply here.
Lol. Why so salty. Stanford has pushed around and owned USC for a while. This is the first game where the tables were turned. Im sorry if the rest of the schedule doesnt seem as hard. Maybe beating the hightest ranked team on your schedule makes a person feel like that. Ive never said they can now cakewake to the CCG. I realize upsets happen . Im just saying there are better than the teams they have left to play and yeah they have to keep playing well to avoid a loss.
Call me crazy.lol

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Why so salty. Stanford has pushed around and owned USC for a while. This is the first game where the tables were turned. Im sorry if the rest of the schedule doesnt seem as hard. Maybe beating the hightest ranked team on your schedule makes a person feel like that. Ive never said they can now cakewake to the CCG. I realize upsets happen . Im just saying there are better than the teams they have left to play and yeah they have to keep playing well to avoid a loss.
Call me crazy.lol
Salty? Why go to that level in a discussion? I mean are you feeling attacked and insulted? Because if you are then that's on you because none have happened.

I said USC is clearly the better team right now. They came out strong to open this season. Big improvement over last year.

All I said is Stanford may not be worth the off season hype (at least from people on this site) and at best could be like SC last year and not reach their potential until sometime mid season.

Your toughest opponent may yet be in front of you. @WSU, home against Utah, road rivalry game @ND, and home against UCLA are all possible games where you just might find more of a fight on that given week than what Stanford put up.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can either believe USC was rusty and with the vanilla dont show too much game plan let a decent w. Michigan team hang around untill USC put it in another gear to pull away. Or you think W. Michigan is much better than Stanford. I tend to believe USC sandbaged it a little in the first game because everyone knew the Stanford game might be their toughest game on the schedule.
I don't believe they were rusty AND vanilla, just rusty. Them drops and INT's just didn't let a 4 touchdown underdog hang around, WMU had a touchdown lead until nearly the end of the third quarter. I find it hard to believe Helton would hold back on the playbook when they where in a dog fight for 3 & and half quarters of football. I can see that happening if they were to pull out to an early lead, but the way the game played out, I have to believe he pulled out all the stops, because there is no forgiving a loss to WMU in Week 1 by the SC faithful.

As far as your last sentence goes, it's kind of funny and comes across like this... everyone knew, it might be for certain, if you kinda look at this way, you know? :heh:

Just playing Jim, I know what you mean, but since I'm part of everyone, I don't know if Stanford could be SC's toughest game. Who knows, it could end up being their easiest game on the schedule, from the way it has played out.

And when you think about it, WMU has already given you a better game than Stanford, hanging around until midway in the fourth. So in hindsight, that 'guess of everyone', wasn't true after Week 2 was said and done. So who knows what will it look like in Week 12?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe they were rusty AND vanilla, just rusty. Them drops and INT's just didn't let a 4 touchdown underdog hang around, WMU had a touchdown lead until nearly the end of the third quarter. I find it hard to believe Helton would hold back on the playbook when they where in a dog fight for 3 & and half quarters of football. I can see that happening if they were to pull out to an early lead, but the way the game played out, I have to believe he pulled out all the stops, because there is no forgiving a loss to WMU in Week 1 by the SC faithful.

As far as your last sentence goes, it's kind of funny and comes across like this... everyone knew, it might be for certain, if you kinda look at this way, you know? :heh:

Just playing Jim, I know what you mean, but since I'm part of everyone, I don't know if Stanford could be SC's toughest game. Who knows, it could end up being their easiest game on the schedule, from the way it has played out.

And when you think about it, WMU has already given you a better game than Stanford, hanging around until midway in the fourth. So in hindsight, that 'guess of everyone', wasn't true after Week 2 was said and done. So who knows what will it look like in Week 12?
Lol. The game plan used against Stanford was not used in the W. Michigan game. They did put up a fight but when USC did use

So you think USC went into the W. Michigan and Stanford games with the same effort and game plan? I was there. That couldn;'t be further from the truth. There were formations I didn't see against W. Michigan there were defensive blitzes and stunts they didn't do either. The Stanford game was played at a whole other level. Sounds like you think Stanford isn't as good as Western Michigan. In a game that means something Stanford would pound W. Michigan.
USC is favored in every game on their schedule. Vegas has them favored in every game. So me saying they should win their remaining games based on talent shouldn't be shocking. Obviously an upset can happen injuries can happen. But Stanford was their highest ranked opponent and the team that has owned them recently and the outcome was flipped. They were and have been the worst matchup for USC. Stanford would shorten the games. They would minimize USCs possessions. Utah has a good defense but I don't see them being able to score enough to keep up with USC. Colorados big advantage might be the weather. UCLA should be a good game if the can keep Rosen off his back which is a tall order for that O line.

Last edited: