• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? :scratch:

Is anyone really surprised that Jeff Ulbrich was going to leave in the off season if he found a good opportunity?

We all saw how both he and Mora got along last season, I don't think this is a shock to anyone. :nod:

Announced within hours after all the faxes arrived. Very suspect. Quinn had agreed to the Falcons job weeks ago, but there was an agreement that it wouldn't be officially announced till after the SB. So it's not like he just called your DC yesterday and asked him. Quinn had been building a staff behind the scenes for weeks.

Very sleazy move by Mora, but if this had been announced a week ago, it would of triggered an orgy of other schools calling up the UCLA verbals and pending verbals. By playing it this way, it limited the damage and potential flips.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announced within hours after all the faxes arrived. Very suspect. Quinn had agreed to the Falcons job weeks ago, but there was an agreement that it wouldn't be officially announced till after the SB. So it's not like he just called your DC yesterday and asked him. Quinn had been building a staff behind the scenes for weeks.

Very sleazy move by Mora, but if this had been announced a week ago, it would of triggered an orgy of other schools calling up the UCLA verbals and pending verbals. By playing it this way, it limited the damage and potential flips.
Well what I'm seeing reported, it actually WAS yesterday.

IMO the rub between these two has always been on Jeff's part. I always thought Mora wanted this guy on his staff and apparently Jimbo is reported to say they will fight tooth and nail to keep Jeff.
UCLA head coach Jim Mora says the Bruins will fight "tooth and nail" to keep Ulbrich.
Reportedly Quinn asked for permission, as a courtesy to interview Jeff yesterday (Not last week or anything anybody want to make up to vilify Mora)

Actually, you got to start to wonder why Quin couldn't wait until the day after LOI instead of the day before LOI to ask for permission to interview Jeff.:scratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO the rub between these two has always been on Jeff's part. I always thought Mora wanted this guy on his staff and apparently Jimbo is reported to say they will fight tooth and nail to keep Jeff. Reportedly Quinn asked for permission, as a courtesy to interview Jeff yesterday (Not last week or anything anybody want to make up to vilify Mora)

Actually, you got to start to wonder why Quin couldn't wait until the day after LOI instead of the day before LOI to ask for permission to interview Jeff.:scratch:

Sleazy move by Mora. They were ready to let every kid sign knowing Jeff was leaving. It was the Georgia coaching staff who started letting people know Jeff was taking that job. Jeff knew for at least a week if not more. Sleazy

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO the rub between these two has always been on Jeff's part. I always thought Mora wanted this guy on his staff and apparently Jimbo is reported to say they will fight tooth and nail to keep Jeff. Reportedly Quinn asked for permission, as a courtesy to interview Jeff yesterday (Not last week or anything anybody want to make up to vilify Mora)

So your saying the FoxSports report that Jeff Ulbrich is taking the Falcons LB coach job and Notre Dame's QB coach, Matt LaFleur, taking the same job with the Falcons is a lie?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your saying the FoxSports report that Jeff Ulbrich is taking the Falcons LB coach job and Notre Dame's QB coach, Matt LaFleur, taking the same job with the Falcons is a lie?
I'm not saying that it's a lie. Oh and btw it's 'a source' told FoxSports that these dudes were hired. FoxSports Story

What I was saying Regent, is that I found reports stating no job offer had been made and these reports apparently came after the FoxSports story. This is in direct conflict on whether or not Jeff is hired or not.

Anyway, here's how Mora started off his National Signing Day press conference....
I thought we'd get something out of the way, right off the bat. I know it's probably a question on everybody's mind concerning Coach Ulbrich. I'm going to just tell you what has transpired. Dan Quinn, who is a very good friend of mine...I actually hired him into the National Football League when I was the Defensive Coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers...was introduced yesterday as the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. Dan also has a relationship with Jeff Ulbrich, much like I do, in that we both coached Jeff and have become very close. Last night, Dan, out of courtesy, called me and asked if he could have permission to talk with Jeff. Well, he doesn't need permission. In the NFL, you have to have written permission. In our world, you don't, but it was a courtesy as a friend to a friend. Of course, I told him, "Absolutely not! Stay away!" But being the competitor that Dan is, he reached out to Brick, at some point, either last night or early this morning and made him an offer to be his linebacker coach. Jeff has assured me that he has not come to a conclusion yet. He is contemplating whether or not he wants to do that. I'm gonna fight tooth and nail to keep him here because I think he's an outstanding coach. I will say this about Jeff. He's been very forthright with the recruits who have signed today in communicating where he stands and communicating the things I just told you. He's also reached out to the parents. And, so I think Jeff has handled this really, really well. But, I'm gonna fight like crazy to keep that sucker. It's gonna be a heck of a battle because Dan Quinn is a fighter. Anyway, on to the good stuff....
I said earlier, we need to see how this shakes out before we start to vilify Mora over this. I will say that I am interested in what Mora has to say specifically about Roquan Smith. It's my understanding that Mora isn't allowed to speak about a specific recruit until that player has signed so I'll hold off and not jump to any conclusion just yet...

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well when you throw comments about usc being ghetto thats clear hate. maybe he didn't want to play in forests of oregon lol. again i think not only you but other oregon fans tune would be different. like OD saying he's overrated. those words dont come out his mouth if he signs with oregon. sark i don't think will have much to do with the defense. based on last season not sure if justin wilcox is the DC for the job.

if its anything like being under pete carroll there will be plenty of opportunity to win jobs in practice.

Never said he was overrated. I just stated that he was probably the 3rd best LB recruit for USC in this class and that he maybe could have considered another school (not necessarily Oregon) if he wanted to do what was best for his career.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know if usc wins on the road in eugene. but a freshman qb vs two 5 star corners i like those chances.

I think Oregon is in for maybe one down year, which would consist of maybe 2-3 losses. But with the talent that is coming back and coming in, you never know.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt' Griffen blowout his ACL and had to have surgery on Sept 30th last year? That cost him basically his entire senior season. While he will of had 10 months of recovery time by fall camp 2015, you can't really expect to see much playing time in 2015, if at all. For most RBs, recovery time is even longer for these.

I really think that Griffin Redshirts this season. Seeing how other players (NFL and NCAA) recoup from injuries like this, it usually takes 1-1/2 to 2 years to be back. With the amount of playmakers coming back and coming in for the next season, I think that would be the best for the kid. But, he has the ability to be a game changer when he does get his chance.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Griffin will likely redshirt. too much all over the field at the skill positions not to

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before people tar and feather Mora, here is an explanation of what happened from this mornings paper:

Perhaps Signing Day's most dramatic development began the night before with a phone call. It was a courtesy call from new Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn, an old friend of Mora's. Just hired, Quinn called to express his hope of hiring UCLA defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich to be his linebackers coach. Not long after that call, an offer was made. The timing wasn't ideal. Less than 24 hours later, UCLA announced an impressive, 19-player 2015 recruiting class.

Also, Ulbrich hasn't accepted the offer yet and apparently did contact recruits and parents.

But after Smith committed to UCLA over his hometown school, Georgia, word of Ulbrich's Falcons offer reached Smith - reportedly via Georgia coaches - and positive vibes from UCLA's resounding morning took a turn. Smith had not submitted his letter of intent yet and reopened his recruitment shortly thereafter. While Mora said he "remains hopeful" UCLA will sign him without Ulbrich - his lead recruiter - it would seem unlikely. Ulbrich, however, "has not come to a conclusion yet" on whether he'll jump to the NFL, and Mora hasn't given him a timeline for deciding. Ulbrich did contact recruits and parents Wednesday to alert them of the offer, according to Mora.

Many of UCLA's recruits were part of the morning announcements because UCLA "went national" in their recruiting. So, it may have simply been the time difference that resulted in some recruits being informed late.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, according to the article I quoted in my previous post, it's exactly like he just called the UCLA DC yesterday and asked him.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player that was caught receiving benefits. That one player was pretty good. Are you suggesting that USC didn't gain an advantage by breaking the rules?

A gambler that is caught cheating doesn't usually use that hand to describe his skillful abilities.

Its a pretty slim advantage USC gained if any at all to have a player that has been playing for USC for nearly 2 seasons step-dad take money from an agent to leave the program and go to the pros. What advantage are you suggesting USC got out of it?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said he was overrated. I just stated that he was probably the 3rd best LB recruit for USC in this class and that he maybe could have considered another school (not necessarily Oregon) if he wanted to do what was best for his career.

With the offenses people are running these days you need to have good players on the 2 deep who will play and if you can have a 4* player that would start on most teams as one of them then more power to the coaching staff for getting him to come. USC had a back up QB who never started get drafted it had Clay Mathews jr not starting most of the time he was here because of the talent at his spot. He will get noticed at USC if he's as good as he thinks he is and maybe less miles on his body which helps him down the road.
It is funny reading you two Oregon fans talk about him. One says USC is loaded at that spot and he could start right away at Oregon and the other says he didn't like him and he's over rated ( after they wiffed on him of course.)lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player that was caught receiving benefits. That one player was pretty good. Are you suggesting that USC didn't gain an advantage by breaking the rules?

A gambler that is caught cheating doesn't usually use that hand to describe his skillful abilities.

As far as Reggie Bush goes. He was already a member of the football team when he and his parents started their shenanigans. It wasn't like he was being enticed to go to USC he was already there. These people wanted to start an agency and they wanted him to leave early and be their first big name client. USC should have been punished because he and his parents took the gifts and money but USC gained nothing from this going on and in fact were set up to lose his services quicker that they would have wanted. No where on earth is that cheating. Reggie and his parents took illegal (under NCAA rules) gifts. That was the crime not USC cheating.
Your gambler analogy is totally misplaced.

****It's Clay Matthews 111 not Clay Matthews JR in my previous post

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the offenses people are running these days you need to have good players on the 2 deep who will play and if you can have a 4* player that would start on most teams as one of them then more power to the coaching staff for getting him to come. USC had a back up QB who never started get drafted it had Clay Mathews jr not starting most of the time he was here because of the talent at his spot. He will get noticed at USC if he's as good as he thinks he is and maybe less miles on his body which helps him down the road.
It is funny reading you two Oregon fans talk about him. One says USC is loaded at that spot and he could start right away at Oregon and the other says he didn't like him and he's over rated ( after they wiffed on him of course.)lol

I never said he was overrated and I do think he would have a chance to start right away at Oregon.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he was overrated and I do think he would have a chance to start right away at Oregon.

I did say there were two Oregon fans talking about him. The other guy must have been the one to say he was overrated after they didn't sign him .

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did say there were two Oregon fans talking about him. The other guy must have been the one to say he was overrated after they didn't sign him .

Yeah, OD said he was over rated, so you kind of have to take that with a grain of salt.

OD is the kind of guy who when rejected when asking a girl for a date would say "Well, she's not that hot and I just felt sorry for her. She's probably a lesbian anyway.":lol:

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol: I actually thought Oregon had a chance after USC signed Gustin and Masina.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your off-season viewing enjoyment.

(Probably SC fans only, BUT team PAC people might enjoy it as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.