• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Offseason Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly am not sure where to go with the roster this off-season. They need starting pitching which is a relatively weak free agent class.

We still need a true CF, bullpen was better but still desperately need help there. Then there's the Baez/2nd/3rd situation. Looking at where we are vs the teams left we're a ways off. Universal DH would certainly helps but we need major bounce back seasons from guys.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly am not sure where to go with the roster this off-season. They need starting pitching which is a relatively weak free agent class.

We still need a true CF, bullpen was better but still desperately need help there. Then there's the Baez/2nd/3rd situation. Looking at where we are vs the teams left we're a ways off. Universal DH would certainly helps but we need major bounce back seasons from guys.
No one said it was gonna be easy. The front office has some work to do for sure.
I actually do like most of the current roster...and only a few tweaks/or upgrades are needed imho.
I'm more concerned with who the GM & Mgr will be...and I definitely agree that some bounce back seasons would be nice, and of course the underlying situation with the overall health of the team. There just always seems to be too many injuries up and down the roster from year to year. That has to be addressed, and they must find a way to mitigate long absences.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This n That...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as manager goes....Fonzi (Edgardo Alfonzo) is looking better & better with each passing day.
But I can also see Sandy going with ex catcher, and current quality control coach Brian Schneider too.

General Manager is a whole different animal, and I wonder if Brian Sabean is still interested, moreover...is Cohen interested in him?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as manager goes....Fonzi (Edgardo Alfonzo) is looking better & better with each passing day.
But I can also see Sandy going with ex catcher, and current quality control coach Brian Schneider too.

General Manager is a whole different animal, and I wonder if Brian Sabean is still interested, moreover...is Cohen interested in him?

For whatever reason I don't think they have interest in Sabean. I know Sabean last week said they hadn't reached out so who knows.

Fonzi would be great.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Lindor did back in late September, deGrom also takes blame for the past season....

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild free agency looms....

Mets: Outfield
Michael Conforto is a free agent, leaving Brandon Nimmo, Dominic Smith and Jeff McNeil as the only potential starting outfielders on the roster. The Mets need to add a jolt to their lineup and the outfield is the obvious spot to make that happen.
Potential FA targets: Kris Bryant, Starling Marte

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8) Mets (42.1 WAR)

Free agents: SS/2B Javier Báez, RHP Dellin Betances, OF Michael Conforto, RHP Jeurys Familia, LHP Brad Hand, RHP Heath Hembree, LHP Rich Hill, LHP Aaron Loup, OF Cameron Maybin, OF Kevin Pillar, RHP Marcus Stroman, RHP Noah Syndergaard, IF Jonathan Villar

Biggest needs: Executives, starting pitching, outfield, third base

It’s truly difficult to know where to start with the 2022 Mets without knowing who will manage the team or run baseball operations. Until all that is resolved, everything else is sort of just a giant shrug.

Still, the roster is what it is, and the needs here are clear.
That starts in the rotation, where as surprising as this might sound, there’s not really one pitcher you feel good about right now. Stroman and Syndergaard are free agents; Jacob deGrom didn’t pitch after July 7 due to an arm injury; Taijuan Walker followed a fantastic first half (2.66 ERA) with a nightmarish second (7.13); Carlos Carrasco posted a 6.04 ERA in 12 starts; David Peterson (5.54 ERA) broke his foot while walking.

There’s plenty of talent there, just also plenty of questions. That’s true on the offensive side as well, where Francisco Lindor, James McCann, Dominic Smith and Jeff McNeil all need to show more than they just did -- as would Conforto, if he returns. Even if he does, help in the outfield is a requirement, and doubly so if he leaves. (A third baseman would help, too.)

Again, we don’t even know who’s in charge, but at the moment, the 2022 Mets look a lot like previous versions -- and also like the crosstown Yankees -- in that they have plenty of talented players who don’t always add up to a winning team.