• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is too bad. Titus coulda been a great numba two. (Was that the game where we beat a team with a winning record?)

I think so, pretty bad when your only win against a winning team was not because of game planning but only because Stafford got red hot in the second half.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a player like Barron, not good enough in coverage.

If you want a coverage guy, why not Lamarcus Joyner from FSU? Small but fast and hits like a Mack truck.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was often the actual gameplan. (After it worked against Dallas this year, we were screwed.)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edelman was crazy good by the end of the year. Pats will most likely do whatever they have do to keep him though. They have no other WRs that are capable of making things happen.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a WR that Manning or Brady aren't willing to do everything to keep. That tells me they are easily replaceable

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the whole goal in finding a #2 is getting a guy that can force opposing teams to come out of that triple coverage they put on Calvin. This guy has to be some sort of vertical threat IMO. You can find slot guys everywhere.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be as good as the S from Texas last year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right Rolling,

I know everone is hoping for defense but I can see Evans easily holding up a Lions jersey come draft day. He'll be one of the names thst stays connected to the Lions during the whole process.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see using the 10th pick on a player that projects to be a mid to late round one talent. Thats were both Gilbert and Dennard are right now. It's possible the combine and prodays will vault one or both up the boards but CBs that run 4.52 are not usually top 10 talent.

But in a sense I see the "It's the fucking Lions" mentality. Just because Dennard is the best CB in the draft Detroit could draft him. Mayhew likes to throw that out there when a pick may be criticized, "he was the best player at that position" and makes it seem as if it was BPA.

I like the idea of upgrading the defensive backfield but not at the cost of reaching for a guy 5-10 picks early and passing on guys that may have slid a few spots.

Best case scenario is Watkins slides to 10. can see this happening if 3 QBs go in the first. Due to the talent at WR a team may pass on him because they know they can get a Landry or Beckham in the second round.

I expect a team like Cleveland to throw a wrench into the draft by overvaluing a player or St Louis trading down to let a team get a QB. Detroit has options and the only way they fuck this up is if they trade up!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the whole goal in finding a #2 is getting a guy that can force opposing teams to come out of that triple coverage they put on Calvin. This guy has to be some sort of vertical threat IMO. You can find slot guys everywhere.

That's why if we don't land Watkins, I'd like to see us trade down perhaps and grab Evans. Dude is a big body with great hands.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see a receiver who can get open, catch balls in his direction and get first downs. Not a concern to me if the defense continues to focus on CJ. He's not going to get any more looks than he already does. Titus is on my mind again. Someone capable of doing what he did as a rookie shouldn't be that hard to find.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am looking at a pure talent question.

Who will have the better career?

Mack may end up being the best of the group. But he is not a lock to be their at 10. Barr a step below with Dennard and Gilbert really huge question marks.

Right now it's a toss up on the best CB in the draft according to the talking heads, one says Gilbert the other says Dennard and a few split between others. That concerns me when Dennard isn't hands down better than Gilbert. Verrett gets some love as well as Marcus Robertson and Roby. The point is the drop off between Dennard and the rest of the CBs seems to be small.

IMO the Lions should go for best talent at a position of need….WR, CB, S, and OLB. Short of Watkins sliding which I can see it will be a tough call. I could see Detroit going OT as well if a guy they like lands at 10. The only two OTs I would think about though would be Matthews or Robinson and I doubt they are their at 10.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I meant McCluster. I was pretty sure that was wrong, but didn't want to look it up.:faint:

McCluster could definitely help with explosiveness. He'd be huge in the short yardage passing game that Old Lion and Swarm love so much.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why if we don't land Watkins, I'd like to see us trade down perhaps and grab Evans. Dude is a big body with great hands.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Lions drafted him at #10, especially if he comes through with a good 40 time.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a feeling Evans does not last much longer than Watkins. He is the clear #2 right now and if Watkins goes it could force a teams hand. It would not surprise me to see Watkins go top 8 and Lions take Evans at 10. I wouldn't like it but at least I get it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pure speculation, but I'll even say that Evans is in play anywhere within the top 15 picks. Lions have Tampa, Buffalo and the Vikings all ahead of them and there might be a few teams within the 11 to 20 area that are willing to come up for him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is, Watkins is planning on shocking the world with his 40 time. If that happens, he's gone early. If he runs in the 4.4 range, theres a very slight possibility he slides.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is, Watkins is planning on shocking the world with his 40 time. If that happens, he's gone early. If he runs in the 4.4 range, theres a very slight possibility he slides.

I don't know how much more Watkins can do to increase his value….

Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel all look like top 10 picks. Qbs values are so different for a team that needs a QB. I can't see Manziel making it past Oakland he just seems like their type of player.

Matthews and Robinson are locks as well. Good LTs are a premium as well for a team with a need. Surprised me how many went last year in the top 5.

Clowney may be the best player in the draft and is a top 10 player as well.

So Watkins has to fall into the next 4 category. A 4.4 or 4.5 I can't see changing his stock with only 4 players to switch with. With Atlanta and Buffalo needing LT help it could force a guy like Lewan and/or Kouandjio into the top 10. Watkins is a great talent I just can't see how a tenth of a second will make a huge difference at this point. And that helps Detroit.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Evans does not last much longer than Watkins. He is the clear #2 right now and if Watkins goes it could force a teams hand. It would not surprise me to see Watkins go top 8 and Lions take Evans at 10. I wouldn't like it but at least I get it.

So help me, if Mayhew drafts a WR in the 1st found without trading down and getting another pick, I am firing him immediately and installing myself in his stead. That has to be my right as a schmuck, bandwagon fan that doesn't live within 2300 miles of Detroit, right?