• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. If anything this is a huge red flag against Watkins imo. He basically caught screen passes 60% of the time and ran away from everyone. That won't work in the NFL where everyone is fast.
I was thinking something similar to Evans. He caught a lot of jump balls from Manziel and he likely won't be able to do that in the NFL (CJ is the exception to the rule there).

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think they'd have more than 2 total INT's in 16 games with all that depth. But they didn't. Sadly.

I see so young players don't get any better. They stay at the same level there were at when they came out of college. We just got 2 of the best back 7 coaches we could have wished for and you think these guys will be no better than last year?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What tape did you watch? He plays next to the line of scrimmage because he doesn't get burned. Proclaiming that 1 on 1 against Watkins would result in a TD or PI 50% of the time is pretty bold. But that's nothing new coming from Ram fans. I remember this goodie from Rams fans last year:

You guys love getting all excited about WR's. I don't blame you. But don't be offended if I'm not buying it.
Dennard has a lot of flaws

The number of screen plays for Watkins is a red flag but I honestly think that has more to do with Boyd than Watkins. Watkins is a bit of a project, too, due to route running but he has a higher upside than Austin. Watkins will be one of the 5 best players in this draft but he probably won't win OROY. Dennard is either going to be a good fit on an already good defense or a total bust on a non-elite defense

Anyways, the Rams publicly said they have no plan on extending Bradford. I really think they should take Bridgewater or Bortles. I dont want the Rams to be in the same position next year that the Bucs are this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. If anything this is a huge red flag against Watkins imo. He basically caught screen passes 60% of the time and ran away from everyone. That won't work in the NFL where everyone is fast.

Where Did They Catch the Ball?

The table below represents the percentage of catches in each zone, it is color-coded so that an above-average number of receptions is greener and a below-average number is redder.

yuHvdoh.jpg

RobBase... I totally get where you're coming from, however, I think you have to look at the broader version of these stats and comprehend the fact that you have Taj Boyd throwing to Watkins just like in Marqise Lee's stats he had Barkley for (2) years then had two 1st time QB's throwing to him this year. Neither Boyd nor USC's QB's had strong enough arms for the deep balls plus you have to take into consideration team system and how they utilized their wr's in conjunction with the QB's. Should Watkins be their at #10 (there's no way hell that he will), I will totally understand the pick. What I will be pissed off with is if Mayhew takes Evans or Lee when he could get similar style wr's (Moncrief or Cooks and Beckham) later on in 2nd rd (Moncrief 3rd rd.), POSSIBLY... I just do not see either Gilbert or Dennard (who I really like for his physicality) coming in and pretty much guaranteed they're shut down corners, not that it couldn't happen, it's just that the history of 1st year CB's proves otherwise. Explosive WR's similar to Watkins could give him problems as I saw no such type of WR like him in the Big Ten

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyways, the Rams publicly said they have no plan on extending Bradford. I really think they should take Bridgewater or Bortles. I dont want the Rams to be in the same position next year that the Bucs are this year.

Not meaning to butt my nose into what the Rams should do since I am basically clueless as to what the Lions should do but I will try anyway. If there is a QB they love, take him. If not, take a safe pick and give Bradford another year with some help. Personally, the only QB that I think is deserving of a top ten pick is Bridgewater. I love QB's that can be an extension of the OC on the field. TB fits that mold. He has a much higher floor than any other prospect and a higher ceiling than most.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking something similar to Evans. He caught a lot of jump balls from Manziel and he likely won't be able to do that in the NFL (CJ is the exception to the rule there).

Agree. Not a Mike Evans fan at all. He won't have 5 seconds to get open in the NFL like he has been afforded in college playing with Johnny Football.

I see so young players don't get any better. They stay at the same level there were at when they came out of college. We just got 2 of the best back 7 coaches we could have wished for and you think these guys will be no better than last year?

Based on this theory the Lions should have passed on Slay last year. Houston is done. No reason to wait around for Bust Bentley, a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder who's barely played in 2 years.

2 INT all year speaks volumes. Can this same group improve and get 3 next year? I hope so lol

Lastly, these same coaches already went public and said they covet tall, physical corners, and plan to bring more in starting this off season. So they're getting new CB's Dennard or not.

Dennard has a lot of flaws

The number of screen plays for Watkins is a red flag but I honestly think that has more to do with Boyd than Watkins. Watkins is a bit of a project, too, due to route running but he has a higher upside than Austin. Watkins will be one of the 5 best players in this draft but he probably won't win OROY. Dennard is either going to be a good fit on an already good defense or a total bust on a non-elite defense

Couldn't agree more about the Rams taking a QB. Just now starting to wonder if all this is a smoke screen and the Rams simply don't want to risk the anyone trading with the Texans for the QB they truly covet. OR - they need to see Bradford produce before re-signing him. Either way it's an interesting situation for the Rams.

You pick the one game they lost in week 3 and proclaim him to have "lots of flaws". Like what? What other film did you watch? Why not post the Ohio State game or the game vs. Stanford where he dominated against teams they were supposed to lose to?

Where Did They Catch the Ball?

The table below represents the percentage of catches in each zone, it is color-coded so that an above-average number of receptions is greener and a below-average number is redder.

yuHvdoh.jpg

RobBase... I totally get where you're coming from, however, I think you have to look at the broader version of these stats and comprehend the fact that you have Taj Boyd throwing to Watkins just like in Marqise Lee's stats he had Barkley for (2) years then had two 1st time QB's throwing to him this year. Neither Boyd nor USC's QB's had strong enough arms for the deep balls plus you have to take into consideration team system and how they utilized their wr's in conjunction with the QB's. Should Watkins be their at #10 (there's no way hell that he will), I will totally understand the pick. What I will be pissed off with is if Mayhew takes Evans or Lee when he could get similar style wr's (Moncrief or Cooks and Beckham) later on in 2nd rd (Moncrief 3rd rd.), POSSIBLY... I just do not see either Gilbert or Dennard (who I really like for his physicality) coming in and pretty much guaranteed they're shut down corners, not that it couldn't happen, it's just that the history of 1st year CB's proves otherwise. Explosive WR's similar to Watkins could give him problems as I saw no such type of WR like him in the Big Ten

I think a top 10 WR has to show more than the ability to execute the screen play. Even a crappy QB can launch it to a burner and Watkins doesn't show that stretch the field ability based on those numbers. Those numbers instead say he's a bigger Tavon Austin imo.

Watkins would have to get open vs. Dennard first. The way Dennard plays up on the line and physical, no way is he getting open AND running away from him. I'd say the opposite. There are no CB's like Dennard anywhere in the NCAA, especially in the pass happy ACC.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pick the one game they lost in week 3 and proclaim him to have "lots of flaws". Like what? What other film did you watch? Why not post the Ohio State game or the game vs. Stanford where he dominated against teams they were supposed to lose to?
There are a couple of other games on there including some Ohio St its just that ND tested him the most. Most teams stopped throwing to him Im guessing (always a good sign for Dennard)

Dennard has about 7-8 plays, IIRC where he grabs the WR and sometimes even blatantly holds them far down the field. Dennard does look like he can be coached up, though. I just don't think he can play next to the line of scrimmage at the next level. You just have to take a leap of faith that he will develop

Austin's game is different than Watkins game. Austin was actually used less in the screen game than Watkins, too but Watkins displays his speed more and is more physical. Austin spends more time trying to 'shake' defenders while Watkins puts on the speed. Austin still has the potential to be really good, btw. Watkins will likely disappoint in a similar fashion in his first year

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see drafting a corner helping what so ever NEXT season. Longrun, sure. Next year, nope. We resign Suh and Im game for long term help. We don't, the window closes before that corner matters. Not sure what Id rather have if for some reason that one receiver falls, prolly still "other".

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there wasn't so much emphasis on CB because of the Seahawks success, Dennard might slip into the second round. As it is, I feel he ultimately gets drafted in around #25.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about Dennard not being able to run with WRs at the NFL level. There is a guy in the NFL who fell to the 5th round because they said he couldn't run with NFL WRs. He is doing pretty good with Seattle right now and is the best CB in the NFL.

Intelligence, physicality and technique goes a long way at the CB position. Not a lot of instances where you are just having a straight sprint down the field each game.

If straight line speed was the end all be all for CBs -- Greenwood would be a stud for the Lions as he ran a sub 4.4 and has the prototypical size for a CB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Not a Mike Evans fan at all. He won't have 5 seconds to get open in the NFL like he has been afforded in college playing with Johnny Football.

Lastly, these same coaches already went public and said they covet tall, physical corners, and plan to bring more in starting this off season. So they're getting new CB's Dennard or not.

Watkins would have to get open vs. Dennard first. The way Dennard plays up on the line and physical, no way is he getting open AND running away from him. I'd say the opposite. There are no CB's like Dennard anywhere in the NCAA, especially in the pass happy ACC.

I do not recall in the article that I read in regards Lions DC Austin specifically stating to bring in more tall, physical corners.. He did mention that Slay and Greenwood are the tall physical type that he prefers.

And there is no doubt that about your comment that I highlighted in bold... the most physical CB in this draft hands down...:clap:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more worried about Dennard's clutching and grabbing down the field being called for PI than I would be his straight line speed.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there wasn't so much emphasis on CB because of the Seahawks success, Dennard might slip into the second round. As it is, I feel he ultimately gets drafted in around #25.

Corners who can shut down the field are one in a million player. Revis, Sherman, Nnamdi...the list stops there for the modern era. If a guy looks like he can be that one day, he is invaluable.

IF Dennard is not the guy the Lions are looking at, and enter 2014 with the same Houston/Slay/34 year old Richard Mathis mix and match starter group, then the Lions are going to look the same as the past two years.

We already have a top D line. There's no more adding to that, so the current corners are getting all the help their are going to get.

2 INT.

Not getting it done.

Getting real sick of this let's outscore everyone attitude and I hope this new regime puts an end to it. Let's play some defense.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If AL was still alive they would draft Marquis Lee and say how fast he is.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB, I am going to just have to agree to disagree on this one. I want defense just not Dennard. I truly do not believe that he can cover a #1 WR 1-on-1 and think he is walking PI machine.

The 2 INT stat is as probably more on the safeties than the corners. I agree, though, that the corner play was pathetic.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting real sick of this let's outscore everyone attitude and I hope this new regime puts an end to it. Let's play some defense.

Outscoring everyone would be a lot easier if our offense didn't give up so many TDs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corners who can shut down the field are one in a million player. Revis, Sherman, Nnamdi...the list stops there for the modern era. If a guy looks like he can be that one day, he is invaluable.

IF Dennard is not the guy the Lions are looking at, and enter 2014 with the same Houston/Slay/34 year old Richard Mathis mix and match starter group, then the Lions are going to look the same as the past two years.

We already have a top D line. There's no more adding to that, so the current corners are getting all the help their are going to get..
____________________________________________________________________________________

You can add P. Peterson to that group above.

and if Dennard measures 5' 10 187 lbs. at the combine, then what ? That's not tall and physically imposing (like being 6' 1" 200+ lbs.) in my book. That's more like Bentley's size. Don't get me wrong but Dennard or Gilbert being drafted anywhere in the top 18 is more need based than anything, IMO

I agree that our CB's need to play better but you're almost stating that Dennard or Gilbert are sure-fire shutdown CB's in their 1st year.

And for the top D Line. Ansah, Taylor (who flashed some), Jason Jones (played 2 1/2 games not to mention coming off a ruptured patellar tendon). Furthermore, Mayhew has stated that Fairley is immature, non-motivated and is lackadaisical (BTW, Mayhew has until May 2nd 2014 to pick up Fairley's team option for 2015). Better re-sign SUH, huh ? The other DT is CJ Mosley.

A lot at stake riding on Taylor, J. Jones and Mosley, IMO...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think of them as Pac 10 and no way in hell are they second. Outside of Oregon I can't see a team playing with the Big 12 or Big 8 as I still like to think of their cheating asses.

And the way MSU handled Stanford hurts that argument as well.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Face palm)

Watkins was in an offense where they wanted to get the ball in his hands very quickly. After Ellinton left, they designed it even moreso, to fit that quick style of play. Plus, teams chose to play "off" of Watkins more times than not due to his quick initial burst off the line. The announcers spoke on this every since he was a freshman at Clemson.

Mike Mayock will tell all the non believers. Lol